Cadillac Owners Forum banner

traveling for a year - car storage advice

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  remmyman 
#1 ·
is it ok to leave the car in my parents garage? I have to unplug the battery right? anything else?

----------

Cts 2008

#2 ·
Re: traveling for a year

A quality, hardwired battery maintainer might be a better option. I'd be most concerned about the fuel in the tank. My experience is that even with stabilizers, you're lucky to get 6 months of storage without problems. Get as much out as you can before you leave.

Any way you can arrange to have the car run once a month?

#4 · (Edited)
If you don't want to invest in maintainer or your parrents could be affraid of having it connected in their garage then the battery should be disconnected, stored in house temps and charged at least once a quarter (half a year eventually). I would not inflate tires to max as you can ask your parents to check them once a quarter. Leave only one two gallons of gas and remember to add another two before you start your car after return. Cover your CLEAN car using some soft material. And the most important - unlock doors before you disconnect the battery!
Everything should be fine! It will only need some time/miles to go back to full "fitness".

#6 ·
VegasSparky said:
Any way you can arrange to have the car run once a month?
kkuz said:
If you don't want to invest in maintainer or your parrents could be affraid of having it connected in their garage then the battery should be disconnected, stored in house temps and charged at least once a quarter (half a year eventually). I would not inflate tires to max as you can ask your parents to check them once a quarter. Leave only one two gallons of gas and remember to add another two before you start your car after return. Cover your CLEAN car using some soft material. And the most important - unlock doors before you disconnect the battery! Everything should be fine! It will only need some time/miles to go back to full "fitness".
tinman said:
If no one is going to drive your car, then put it on jack stands.
These are all good suggestions IMO.

#7 ·
I had to store one of my Cadillacs for fourteen months.

First, I bought a Battery Tender. It pulses the battery, preventing sulphation on the plates. It comes with a handy quick-disconnect too, so all you have to do is tie wrap the connector somewhere easy to access under the hood.

I added gas stabilizer and filled the tank to prevent condensate build-up.

I bought a premium, thick & soft flannel indoor car cover from Griot's garage. You never know who might accidently scratch it while they're in the garage.

They also sell circular blocks to keep the tires from flattening, but jack stands work just as well.

I returned home and the car fired right up. That battery lasted another three years afterwards.

CC

#8 ·
I had to store one of my Cadillacs for fourteen months.

First, I bought a Battery Tender. It pulses the battery, preventing sulphation on the plates. It comes with a handy quick-disconnect too, so all you have to do is tie wrap the connector somewhere easy to access under the ho
I added gas stabilizer and filled the tank to prevent condensate build-up.

I bought a premium, thick & soft flannel indoor car cover from Griot's garage. You never know who might accidently scratch it while they're in the garage.

They also sell circular blocks to keep the tires from flattening, but jack stands work just as well.

I returned home and the car fired right up. That battery lasted another three years afterwards.

CC
Excellent advise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.