Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  jerseyMan 
#1 ·
mmk heres the deal i have the bose-gold system in my 92 sts and i want to attach a sub to it. how should i go about doing this? should i attach a new amp or attach it to an existing one??? so confused to many wires:D

#3 ·
Hmm. There's an existing amp? Where is it? Is it attached directly to speakers? I think you should run another amp and attach the new speaker to it.. This way you don't disturb what's already connected. If you did, all your other speakers would lose power while the amp you already have - which was probably designed perfectly to power your current speakers - will use power to run the new speaker...

Did that make any sense?

#6 ·
I personally haven't ripped my dash apart yet... However if for some reason they had the foresight to install rca jack/pre outs in the back of the factory deck then you are set. If not then you need a line level converter and a wire harness for the system. Unless you feel like splicing into the factory wiring which I highly discourage. It's like painting the car with house paint. Anyways get a pair of RCA's to the trunk and mount a decent amp back there and run them subs.

I have 4 12" JL Audio's to install. I need to make a new box because the trunk is 2" narrower than my contour was.

- Scott Weston -

97 STS

#7 ·
It's a simple task to tap into the line-level wires to either rear speaker and then either use line-level inputs, or a converter to RCA's. That's you input. All you need then is an amp and sub, or a powered sub, and some power and ground. Don't forget to run the turn-on signal wire too which can easily be tapped into the OEM antenna relay. I would also recommend a cross-over filter for the unit. I did it on mine and it sounds great.

#9 ·
I recently had a 10" subwoofer (JL 10IB4) installed in the existing hole on the rear seat panel. Also installed a JL 250/1 amp (attached to rear seat in the trunk). Had a bass control installed below and to the right of the steering column. It made the Bose CD system sound much better - fuller sound all around & improved the kick in the bass response for the low end sound that was lacking.

Did this on a 2000 STS for a total price of $600 (included components, install, tax)...not a bad deal if you're not willing to tackle it yourself.

#15 ·
Throw away bose?

I wouldnt throw away the bose systems necessarily. I took my bose head unit to a repair place and they said that most aftermarket stuff cant compare to factory. I was shocked, I have spent a ton of money on amps, subs, speakers..ect In fact I was listening to a good old Heart song and my headbanger friend even was astonished on the clarity of the bose 6 speaker system my DTS has. In fact I have 2 10" subs, 2 600 watt amps, a nice JVC head unit that I wont use after hearing the stock bose....just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.