Cadillac Owners Forum banner
13K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  parts68 
#1 ·
Anyone out there who has removed the torque converter from their 4T80E...does the torque converter slide straight out off the input shaft for removal or is there some turning required? I am doing an engine swap, but the old motor is seized up so I cannot turn it over to remove the torque converter to flexplate bolts. If the TC slides straight out, I should be able to remove it with the engine. Any help would be most appreciated.

P.S. Thanks GM for not putting transaxle information in the service manuals! :want:

#6 ·
I believe in 96, GM decided to move the tranny info to a seperate manual called a Transmission Unit Repair Manual, or TURM, this covers all trannies for that model year and the associated transfer cases and manual gearboxes. At Helm, its another 50 bucks. Heres what the Turm comes with. As you have a Deville, they will probably move the post to another location.

Torque Converter and Oil Pump Drive Shaft Removal

Caution

The torque converter weighs approximately 65 lbs. Personal injury may result if you lift the torque converter improperly.

Object Number: 11831 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
1. Remove the torque converter (1).
2. Remove the turbine shaft O-ring seal (412).
3. Remove the oil pump driven shaft (2).

#7 ·
Thank you everyone for the info...I managed to separate the engine from the trans last night. I was a bit worried about putting stress on the input shaft, but all seemed to look ok. I will most likely replace the seal on the front of the trans before putting the TC back in...should I replace the O-ring on the shaft too, or not bother? My only concern was the small shaft sticking out the center of the input shaft to the trans. I was able to pull it out and it is hex shaped on each end. Is this the drive shaft for the pump and is it normal to just be able to slide it out?

Despite the engine being seized up, I was able to get three of the four TC to flexplate bolts out. For the last one, it looks like I can get it after removing the coolant crossover on the back of the block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.