Cadillac Owners Forum banner

timing chain indications

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  palehorse 
#1 ·
I know I'm putting a curse on myself, I started my 2006 sts (134000 mi.) with the remote while standing in front of the open hood (temp was 20*F). The only sound I heard was the starter and the engine fire up (very smooth). No tinks,clanks or rattles, just what would be an indication that the chains require replacement? I'm thinking somewhere in her past the chains were replaced?

#4 ·
Palehorse. I had mine done on my 2006 STS 3.6 in June 2013. The first symptom you will have are misc cyl misfires. I took the car to the dealer, and they kept replacing coils on whichever misfires on that cylinder. I kept getting misfires on 2 and 5. The misfires will get worse until the car becomes hard to drive. DO NOT DRIVE it at that point. The dealer needs to make this repair. Its 10 to 12 hours labor. If you want it done right, go nowhere else. If this service has been done. The dealer may be able to track it by the VIN. Its going to be about 3500-4000, so if you plan on keeping the car its worth it. Changed mine at 95,000. Im at 117,000 and rolling strong. Hope that helps!

#5 ·
Thank you
Again, good info. I'm in the process of upgrading my scanning equipment. A Cadillac is more than just OBD II. If it does require a chain change down the road , I'll give it a shot. I've accomplished everything from engine/trans rebuilds to body off restorations. Just want to catch it before the engine is pieces in a puddle of oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.