Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The horrors of Cadillac ownership in Denmark

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
I just want to tell you about the horrors of Cadillac ownership in Denmark. I’ve owned my 2006 STS since Sept 2013, and still enjoy driving it, but ownership can be a nightmare.

There are very few Cadillacs or other finer US cars in Denmark. There are two reasons for that. The first is the new car tax of 180% + vat, that means that my STS costs €140k when it was new. I bought mine used for €25k, so the value drop for the first owner has been like the value of a small house.

The second reason there are so few Cadillacs on Danish roads is the dealerships. The service is not good, nowhere near the level you could expect from a premium car dealer, and they try to rob you any chance they get. Today’s call to the dealer is a good example.

My STS has on/off starting issues, I live with it because I’ve installed a jumper wire, and after last oil change (done by me) the Check Engine is lit. After getting advice on this forum, I wanted to get the ECU, the theft prevention system and the navigation software updated (to be able to use newer map discs), and read the Check Engine code. There’s a dealer walking distance from my workplace, and 100 miles to the next one, so tried the near one.

So I called and asked the price of the three sw updates. Then he started on what couldn’t be done. They could not update the nav sw, they had so many problems with this car. I said that was strange, because right after I bought the car I had asked for a price to update navigation, I was told no problem, but I needed first to have nav sw updated and then a new map disc (for that they would charge me €1,100. I said no thanks). Then he sounded a bit insulted, and yes there may be a solution, but he would need my VIN. I said I had info here, he sounded disappointed, but he took the VIN and said he would call back with prices on the 3 SW updates.
Then I mentioned the Check Engine light. Then he suddenly sounded a bit happier and friendlier. He asked the cars miles and the oil consumption. Because that could easily be the front chains, a well-known and €5-7k issue on the 3.6. I told him about my low oil consumption, he said that it could still be the chains… I felt he had smelled blood/money, and wouldn’t let go. It is a well-known fact among the small community in Denmark that are wealthy and crazy enough to buy new US cars, that the dealers try to rob you any chance they get. There are stories about a Cadillac with an intermittent electrical problem, where the dealer got away with changing the entire wiring at €6k, didn’t fix the problem. Best case, they don’t know what they’re doing, and just replace components until it works, at your expense, worst case the deliberately take the costly detour.
So I got a call back from him, he left a message, update of sw 3 components, €1,100.

As long as it runs, I dare not leave my Cadillac there. It’s a shame, it’s right next to my job, and I don’t mind spending money on my great car, but I don’t want to get robbed. So when I ask questions on this forum, and somebody answers, time to take it to the dealer, that’s not a solution for me. A have a local garage that can help me with most things, but things like sw updates, they can’t. So end result, I’m living with my starting issue, my jumper wire, my outdated nav and my Check Engine light. And the dealer lays off people because they don’t get enough business. Crazy.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can obtain either the GM/Helm service manual hard copies (eBay) or a multi-year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com for your specific car you will have access to a lot of repair and maintenance information.

Alldata is not only the service manuals and specificatins, it also contains all recalls, option codes, trouble codes, recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, labor times, some (U.S.) parts pricing and diagnostic trees.

Having driven a 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS 327/350 in Naples, Italy for 3 years from '67 - '70 I sympathize with you on parts and service. Fortunately, being military and of a slightly devious nature, cargo flight parts availability from the States was not too difficult ........ I replaced the right head gasket parked by the side of a busy metropolitan street. Quite an audience - but, if Denmark is anything like Italy, Saturday morning is car work time.

#4 ·
That sounds quite unfortunate ...
Should just pick up a 'grey market' Tech 2 for about $400 US from AliExpress and get a 3 day subscription to TIS2Web and update the modules you need and be able to read / clear codes on your own.
Then you will just need to obtain the Nav update discs ... maybe targetSTS or PontiacV8 or even RippyCadillac can help get those to you.

#7 ·
Agreed. The update discs may support the foreign nav radios as well but I don't know if I would go ahead with this unless there was good information available to support this. It may render the radio inoperative in that market. The YQ6 option is definitely a little different.

#10 ·
I am each time very upset to read this kind of 'horror' stories from European countries. I've sent many messages to Cadillac representatives about this problem. Never got an answer. However, some time ago I asked Mr. Ellingaus on Jalopnik about the issues European customers have. He had no way out and replied. Let's all hold him to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.