Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2006 STS Coil pack

7K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  cad4joe06 
#1 ·
I have in the last 2 years replaced all 6 coil packs, but now in the last 6 months I have to replace the same coil pk, number 2. It was originally the first one to go out abt 1 and half years ago. My mechanic said take it to dealership, I don't have that kind of money. If I put a fresh tune up this time when I replace the #2 coil do you think that will stop this problem?

#5 ·
well im a girl and took what they gave me. I take it o reilys don't see the ac delco oem? dang I hate to re buy a brand new one but I will. the lifetime they have to replace it everytime it goes out but I guess I need to go to different part store then

#7 · (Edited)
I bought 6 ACDelco coils for my CTS off of Amazon, new in box for $155. I learned my lesson about buying anything less than OEM electronics doing the same exercise with my STS. Sounds like you're heading down the same road. A Guys that works for me needed to replace his coils on a earlier fwd STS and bought some from Advance Auto with a lifetime guarantee. I told him my story about the DOA's and other coil failures 2 and 3 weeks after installation, so he went and bought some ACDelco's before he installed and before he returned the first set and he told me he was amazed that even though they looked the same the ACDelco's were about 3 times heavier than the the off brand coils.

The improvements included a large increase in gas mileage, much smoother idle, a lot better acceleration, no more high RPM miss fires, extend the life of you cats (not the meow kind LOL!) and overall greatly improved drivability.

You'll find it well worth the investment in your new feeling of security. I know it did for me. Nothing worse than driving around and feeling like a coil could go bad at any second.

Let us know if you need a link or some help. A lot of us have been down this road.

Maybe you could get your money back from O'Reilley by telling them you are extremely dis-satisfied with their product and return all of them.

----------

How many miles do you have on it since your last spark plug change?

#11 ·
The coils that came out of my STS were ACDelco and were branded ACDelco. The coils that came out of my CTS were branded Bosch, but I replaced them with ACDelco's. If ACDelco's are made by either of the other two or by anyone else there is no indication that I can see on the coils, not to say that they weren't made by another manufacturer.

#12 ·
Tell me where or what auto parts store i can go buy all these new coil packs at? I am in Jackson Michigan. Since im putting my caddy in the shop friday coming up, im putting a full tune up on it, i might as well have him go ahead and put the new coils on, i just bought all those coils a year ago and im not happy about this! Im putting new brake pads on, then new tires having it detailed then im on the road to Houston Texas! So any of you who will be in my route please let me know in case something happens. No im not a amazon, im actually a very small petite woman, no not ugly but im advanced in age 52 yr old.
So please, what auto parts carries these coils? I need one that i can go buy the part and it be right there, i cant wait for mail order.

#13 ·
After re-reading my last post it didn,t sound as funny as I thought it was when I posted it. :canttalk: So I deleted the stupid comment and my apologies to all, again. But in an attempt to redeem myself I called around Jackson looking specifically for ACDelco's for you and 1 place quoted $116.85... each + tax with a 2 week wait. Another place quoted $85 each and could have them on Monday. I suspect they will all be in that range. If you want to know who they are PM me and I'll give you details... or you could order from Amazon, 6 for $150.00 + $5.99 shipping. Faster shipping options may be available but things usually arrive in 2 or 3 days. http://www.amazon.com/ACDELCO-Ignit...9&keywords=cadillac+3.6+ACDELCO+Ignition+Coil

I hope this helps.

#14 ·
im also gonna need the spark plugs and wires etc cuz im doing a full tune up as well and brake pads, i will see how long it takes to ship from amazon. i followed your link if you could now send me a link for the tune up and brake pad parts id appreciate it kind sir

#15 ·
These cars do not have distributors, points, spark condensors or spark plug wires. All of that stuff has been eliminated for simplicity and efficiency. These cars use direct fire computer controlled coils, one for each of your 6 cylinders, that sit directly on top of your spark plugs. A minor tune-up should only consist of changing your spark plugs every 100,000 miles.

Note that these plugs come pre-gapped at .043" and do not need to be re-gapped. Go here for plugs. http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-41-990-Professional-Platinum-Spark/dp/B000EQTX5I/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1417284218&vehicle=2007-46-2545------------3-0&sr=1-2&ymm=2007%3Acadillac%3Asts&keywords=acdelco+spark+plugs

And, do you know for a fact that you need a brake job? Are the wear sensors making noise when you step on the brakes? The sensors sound like a little piece of metal rubbing on something when you step on the brakes, while in fact, that's exactly what they are! Do you have braking problems that you have noticed?
Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Glad I can help!

----------

As far as brake parts go, some one needs to determine if there are other things wrong with your brakes. Are the calipers functioning correctly, do the rotors need to be turned, if they can be turned, or do you need new rotors. Just slapping pads on may not be the right thing to do. If you are unsure, have someone you trust take a look at them and test drive the brakes. That's your best bet.

#16 ·
thats the wrong year on spark plugs mine is a 2006 cad sts and no its not metal to metal. there is a ton of break dust on my rims and a car lot owner said it needs pads while fixing my tire, my daugther fiance

----------

there is a acdelco parts store here in town called performance. i will call my mechanic monday

#18 ·
rugrat, Brake dust is normal, especially with OEM semi-metallic pads........... That's why everyone bitches about cleaning wheels all the time !

A good, competent, honest shop can measure the pad and rotor thickness and compare them to the service manual go/no-go specs. There IS a wear point at which rotors and/or pads are no longer serviceable. Normal.

Pour a decent scotch and water, plop down with the laptop and do some brake homework in the StopTech and EBC Brakes websites - technical papers. A little knowledge will save your butt from some scammer trying to get onto your credit card.

Rugrat, Curtain Climber, Crumb Crusher ................:hide:

#19 ·
Brake dust is not an indication that you are in need of pads. Some pads leave a lot of dust. I could be wrong but the best way I know of to inspect the pads is to remove them and look at everything. My last brake job showed me that all of my pads were in good condition except for one. None of them were lubricated sufficiently in the sliders and 1 rear inboard pad was not releasing and had worn down to the warning sensor. That's why I say a good thorough inspection is necessary... after all, that's what makes you able to "slam-on-the-brakes"!

And, I don't know what braking system you have, JL9's or JE5's. I don't know what came with that model and you have to know that before you can order anything!

HEY GUYS, WOULD SOMEONE ELSE CHIME IN ON BRAKES??

----------

Thanks SUB!!! You posted before I clicked submit!

#20 ·
Rugrat52,

On the coil issue. Depending on the miles, and if your continiously getting misfires. This is a good indication that your timing chains are going bad. Meaning they are stretched which is causing the misfires.

I had mine done on my 2006 STS 3.6 in June 2013. The first symptom you will have are misc cylinder misfires. I took the car to the dealer, and they kept replacing coils on whichever misfires codes came up on that cylinder. I kept getting misfires on 2 and 5. The misfires will get worse until the car becomes hard to drive. DO NOT DRIVE it at that point. The dealer needs to make this repair. Its 10 to 12 hours labor. If you want it done right, go nowhere else. If this service has been done. The dealer may be able to track it by the VIN. Its going to be about 3500-4000, so if you plan on keeping the car its worth it. Changed mine at 95,000. Im at 117,000 and rolling strong. Hope that helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.