Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Loud rattle sound when starting after sitting for a while

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
Just got back from a week out of country with the car sitting in a garage. When I started it up, it made a really loud rattle / rumble sound. It made the sound (I can't replicate in words) on the rev up after starting, almost in line with when the tachometer needle goes through it's pre-flight wind up.

After that, it's fine.

This past weekend I didn't drive the car, and started it up this morning and it did it again.

Car had a recent oil change and the oil is in the middle band where it should be on the dip stick.

I'll try to get audio or video next time. Sounds terrible.

#2 ·
Whoever changed the oil used the wrong filter. The Northstar requires an anti-drainback valve in the filter so all the oil in the oil passages in the engine doesn't drain back to the sump when you kill the engine. When you start the engine everything is running dry and rattling to beat hell until the passages are full again.

#3 ·
Hmmm. I did the oil change, and have done so since I owned the car a year ago. Last oil change was with the same oil and filter (Mobil 1 5W30 and Mobil 1 filter). Never did it before until now...

The longest time I left the car sitting would be that full week. But I have left the car sitting before for a weekend and it's never done this.

What filter would be the correct filter?

#5 ·
dkozloski said:
One with an anti-drain back valve called out in the factory parts manual ought to do the job. I use NAPA Gold which are made by WIX, the standard of the industry.
Apparently the Mobil 1 filter I used has an anti drain back.

It definitely sounds like chattering of something not lubed. Sounds like something up top of the engine as its really loud when the engine fires up.

Maybe I'll change the filter today in hopes of that making a difference.

Fram filters are stating to have a good anti drain back... I usually use fram filters on past cars but the Mobil 1 seemed like it was an upgrade.

#7 ·
There is always the chance that - in ANY filter - the anti-drainback valve is faulty....... machines do make mistakes...... and nowadays most filters have the valve.

I'll echo DKOZ - WIX filters are consistently good - and the NAPA Gold is made by WIX. WIX used to be a part of DANA Controls; it's now part of Affinia - as is PartsMaster, so you'll find many similarities between WIX, PM, and NAPA filters.

I would not use a Fram oil filter to clean panther piss.

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Submariner409 said:
There is always the chance that - in ANY filter - the anti-drainback valve is faulty....... machines do make mistakes...... and nowadays most filters have the valve. I'll echo DKOZ - WIX filters are consistently good - and the NAPA Gold is made by WIX. WIX used to be a part of DANA Controls; it's now part of Affinia - as is PartsMaster, so you'll find many similarities between WIX, PM, and NAPA filters. I would not use a Fram oil filter to clean panther piss. http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/ http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html
Haha thanks for your advice.

I'll plan to do an impromptu oil change albeit only 700km on the current change. I can't stand the sound of that chatter upon start up nor the thought of what is going on in there.

I did for a second think it might have been a loose exhaust manifold rattling but it's loud, so can't be, and goes away within a second or two of revving up then doesn't do it anymore.

#11 ·
Subsailor613 said:
You don't need to change the oil, Just the filter ! Had this problem also, Used the advice above, and it NEVER happened again. But I have been using Mobile one filter also, M-1206 , M1-206 Same thing Had one bad one, but all is GOOD. Happy Motoring :cool2::cool2::cool2:
yeah M1206 something. Could see the anti drain back was much smaller on the Mobil 1.

Didn't have to change the oil? I figured when I unscrew the filter it would all come out so I did a full change.

#12 ·
About 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil will drain with a filter removal - the rest is in the pan (drain plug), with about 1/2 quart remaining in some of the engine oil passages (and that simply gets mixed in with the new oil at startup).

#13 ·
Submariner409 said:
About 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil will drain with a filter removal - the rest is in the pan (drain plug), with about 1/2 quart remaining in some of the engine oil passages (and that simply gets mixed in with the new oil at startup).
actually I did think about doing that but figured if the dry start ups did any sort of damage, doing a full oil change would hopefully clear any debris.

#15 ·
IF your oil filter is slanted or vertical, tapping plate up, on the filter adapter - and you do your own oil/filter changes - get totally anal and prefill the filter. Stand it up in its box, pour oil into the center tube. Watch the level drop as the oil saturates the media. Continue until the oil level stays about even with the inner threads in the tapping plate. BINGO ! Little or no time from start to full pressure/flow.

#17 ·
ANY oil filter made by ANY manufacturer is "for these cars". The current "AC Delco" branded oil filter is made by the lowest bulk parts bidder.

Please read Post #7 to find out who makes the things, and know that due to contract changes, today's "AC Delco" will probably be tomorrow's AutoZone.

Current "AC Delco" Northstar water pump assemblies are made in China .............. pick your poison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.