Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nijoma 
#1 ·
I just purchased a "new to me" 1997 Catera. I am wondering if anyone has ever had keys made for these and if so how much did it cost them? Also the remotes...has anyone ever programmed them themselves? I only got one key and one remote witrh the car, and would like a spare set. I have been watching a couple on ebay (remotes). Thanks

#2 ·
For remotes, get one off ebay that has the same FCCID number (its on the back of your current remote)... Dealer ones are a ripoff, IMO

A locksmith should be able to make a key for you, for probably less than 50, i dont know what kind of chips those keys have in them....

#3 ·
I have a couple more. As I haven't had time to poke around yet and look at anything. I have heated seats, the drivers side doesn't work, the rest do. Is this on it's own fuse? Also, (heh, the drivers side is all messed up) the heat on the drivers side doesn't seem to work (any ideas?), I have it set at 90 and it kicks out cold air. My question on this is, are there 2 heater cores and where are they located (almost scared to ask) if there are? Other than that everything else is good. I really need to get my hands on a service manual, I am watching one on ebay now (preliminary), and I know I can get one from Helm.

#4 ·
Get your FSM and all will be revealed..... I dont know enough about the setup to tell you for sure... I think however there is only one heater core, and a series of mix doors, and in your case it might be stuck open......

Also, your seat heater pads are probably gone.... Does the light come on?? Can you hear a click.... if yes to both of those, thats probably what it is unless its a bad connections.......

#5 ·
No light....you seem to be the only one who answers me, :(, lol.
Ok, how about a "ventvisor" type product, anyone know if anything is available for this model?
My radio is killing me also, I am used to a system, so I think that may be in the near future as well. Here are a couple issues though. When my radio is on and I turn on the rear defroster (factory non-bose) it kills the reception. Is there a way to improve this without a- not using the defroster b- having a stupid looking antenna somewhere. My "preliminary" FSM is on it's way, info is good! I would probably be ok with just a factory cd changer (anyone want to send me thiers?) as I kinda like the steering wheel mounted controls. Have to watch ebay.........I am sure I'll have some more questions, give me time.....

#6 ·
jealous57 said:
No light....you seem to be the only one who answers me, :(, lol.
Ok, how about a "ventvisor" type product, anyone know if anything is available for this model?
My radio is killing me also, I am used to a system, so I think that may be in the near future as well. Here are a couple issues though. When my radio is on and I turn on the rear defroster (factory non-bose) it kills the reception. Is there a way to improve this without a- not using the defroster b- having a stupid looking antenna somewhere. My "preliminary" FSM is on it's way, info is good! I would probably be ok with just a factory cd changer (anyone want to send me thiers?) as I kinda like the steering wheel mounted controls. Have to watch ebay.........I am sure I'll have some more questions, give me time.....
my wife has a 97 catera...and this thing is killin me........we have had and still
do have electrical problems...This thing would blow the fuse for the radio sometimes. the problem was that the secondary water pump was on this circuit and it would stick and cause the fuse to blow. then I had problems with the sunroof not working..i fixed this but cant remember how or why.
now I hae constant power to the heater/a/c controls when I turn the key off
and it drains the battery. I have also had to disconnect the driver side rear
heated seat because it got too hot and would start to burn the seat. Its a nice car, but, a pain in the butt and none of the dealers know anything about
it, they just take your money but dont fix it.................

rick:bonkers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.