Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Map Disc?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 ·
Hi,
I travel to Canada a lot and I always have international roaming for using my GPS on my cell. I was thinking about getting Onstar with the directions or just getting the Map Disc. My truck is 2004 and this is 2014 so would the map disc be updated to this year and is it updated every year? Would I look for a disc for my year model or should I just get Onstar for directions. I don't want to change my radio because there is nothing wrong with it...it's just missing a map disc. If I go with Onstar, I have to go to the dealership so they can change the equipment from analog to digital and then sign up for a required one year subscription for $399. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#3 ·
You can buy a current disc online for $199.00. I'm thinking about updating mine as well. Also, Onstar went digital at some point and the old analog systems no longer work. Mine will respond when I hit the voice button on the steering wheel but the service is no longer available. My truck is a 2003 so your 2004 might be new enough to work. If you go to their website, they offer a three month trial service free.

#4 ·
Retrax said:
You can buy a current disc online for $199.00. I'm thinking about updating mine as well. Also, Onstar went digital at some point and the old analog systems no longer work. Mine will respond when I hit the voice button on the steering wheel but the service is no longer available. My truck is a 2003 so your 2004 might be new enough to work. If you go to their website, they offer a three month trial service free.
Gm has a digital conversion for our 03 trucks I have been thinking of getting mine done but not sure yet

#7 ·
So would I have to buy a new disc every year since roads change and maps are usually updated every year? I think Onstar is good for the whole peace of mind thing but I definitely don't wanna buy the disc AND a required year of Onstar. Since they switched from Analog, I have to go to the dealership and have them convert my truck to digital and then Onstar requires 1 year of service. So I don't want/need both the service and disc.

#8 ·
annayet said:
So would I have to buy a new disc every year since roads change and maps are usually updated every year? I think Onstar is good for the whole peace of mind thing but I definitely don't wanna buy the disc AND a required year of Onstar. Since they switched from Analog, I have to go to the dealership and have them convert my truck to digital and then Onstar requires 1 year of service. So I don't want/need both the service and disc.
The onstar service has a plan for directions also so it can be used as GPS if needed
The price you pay at the dealer for the upgrade includes one year of service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.