Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The Great Air Intake Challenge

93K views 283 replies 52 participants last post by  Stuff_buster 
#1 ·
OK, I'm willing to do the dyno runs at FAST Specialties. They've agreed to discount me some dyno time on a slow day. I'll put my stock air intake back in to baseline. I'll do multiple runs for each modification and post the dyno sheets. That way the tests will all be on the same car, on the same dyno, on the same day, on the same fuel. I'm not, however going to cut up my stock airbox or buy a K&N kit. So if you True Believers out there want a real comparative test someone needs to send me the parts. I'll pay the freight on any part back to the owner.
Any takers? Time to put up or......

#5 ·
Now this is what I like when someone steps up to the plate to end all the BS.

#6 ·
Krank said:
I'll volunteer my K&N, since I think I'm one of the last few guys who still haven't gone to the Volant or TonyA yet. When is your dyno day? I can probably take it off tomorrow.

Cool, thanks Krank, I just pm'd you my address.
I'm traveling for 8 out of the next 10 days. SO the test will probably be the week of the 24th.

#11 ·
Devil_concours said:
how long does the pcm take to relearn?
I was wondering about that myself, even though in past threads, it has been said to be an "almost instant learning curve"; I believe those were Robert's words, correct me if I'm wrong. I know with my car after I put my K&N on, I had to run it through all the gears at WOT to actually get it to set into a certain shift point, which would mean that HaveBlue would need to drive his car around a bit before putting it on the dyno. Anybody with the Volants notice anything like this?

#12 ·
My input and it may be moot. Part of the TonyA design incorporates an attempt for ram-air at the front bumper. If the car is at a static position this will not be reflected on the dyno. Like I said, it could be a moot point if the ram-air doesn't increase the HP. We know it did for the ram-air '68 442 Oldsmobile. HaveBlue the TonyA will require you to cut a 3" hole in your airchamber flap!:disappoin

But I must say this is a cool test using the same engine on the same dyno on the same day! Can't wait for the results.

1968 Ram-Air Oldsmobile.

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Special 5-inch diameter hoses pick-up cool fresh air via scoops mounted between the quad head lamps (over and under the parking lamps) for the Quadrajet 4-barrel. Option was listed as dealer-installed
[/font]

#13 ·
RobertCTS said:
My input and it may be moot. Part of the TonyA design incorporates an attempt for ram-air at the front bumper. If the car is at a static position this will not be reflected on the dyno. Like I said, it could be a moot point if the ram-air doesn't increase the HP. We know it did for the ram-air '68 442 Oldsmobile. HaveBlue the TonyA will require you to cut a 3" hole in your airchamber flap!:disappoin
The TonyA might be hard to come by because, afterall, it is done with owners' stock airbox so it's not something easily temporarily replaced. I'm not too worried about the ram-air problem, just make sure the fans they hook up in front of the car are big, and have them point one head-on to the front bumper instead of downward onto the engine block.

#14 ·
Krank said:
The TonyA might be hard to come by because, afterall, it is done with owners' stock airbox so it's not something easily temporarily replaced. I'm not too worried about the ram-air problem, just make sure the fans they hook up in front of the car are big, and have them point one head-on to the front bumper instead of downward onto the engine block.
Some of the guys bought a second airbox to modify. Maybe one of those mightbe kind enough to supply?
How about shipping cost both ways. Who pays?:confused:

Regarding Ram-Air, did you notice in that pic that Olds used TWO 5" air hoses up to a single 4 barrel carb? That's bigger than our whole air chamber. Of course the were feeding +400HP engines too:D

#15 ·
HaveBlue, great minds think alike. I just bought a used Volant this week from Doug (forum member), and I contacted AED Performance in Richmond (about an hour away) yesterday. They have a publicly available Mustang Chassis Dyno. I want to do a few runs with the TonyA, plug the hole and replace with factory filter for a second run to replicate the factory airbox, then install the Volant for a third run. As am engineer, I'm also tired of all of the spectulation and want to really know what difference it all makes. Although we can't replicate the 'ram air' effect of sucking air from the front, it will at least be less restricted cold air. My gut feel is that the TonyA and Volant will be neck and neck, but no more than 5 RWHP above the stock airbox.

I'll also pick the best of the airboxes, based on the runs, and re-run in a few weeks, after installing the Borla dual exhaust (also thanks to Doug). My runs will be on a 3.2L, so we should have some great datapoints. I may be required to do another run, after Pete releases his ESC. :lildevil:

#16 ·
I had a typed up a post yesterday about the PCM re-learning as a factor, but I ended up not posting since I didn't want to add confusion to the waters. It is a factor. You should probably reset the PCM before every run. The re-learn takes a while.

You might see a situation where you dyno stock, add CAI, dyno again and find you picked up 20hp or something. Once the PCM gets used to more air it might re-learn with more air and end up at something more like 10hp. A PCM reset would eliminate this, but using a resetted PCM isn't quite fair either...

#18 ·
RobertCTS said:

But I must say this is a cool test using the same engine on the same dyno on the same day! Can't wait for the results.

1968 Ram-Air Oldsmobile.

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Special 5-inch diameter hoses pick-up cool fresh air via scoops mounted between the quad head lamps (over and under the parking lamps) for the Quadrajet 4-barrel. Option was listed as dealer-installed
[/font]

I don't belive the "ram effect" will be a factor. The only way this really works is a direct shot to the intake manifold (like the SLP Firehawk hood on the Firebird). In this case it only acts to quickly fill the airbox with fresh air. The air has to turn 90° through the filter and MAF and 90° into the throttle body.

Regard shipping costs, I've agreed to pay return shipping already.

#21 ·
See this is great and everything and I would be very excited abotu this but yeah i own a 2.8L which is probably one of the greatest engines ever made and they make nothing for it thats bull i hate that wtf i mean come on the 2.8 needs some lovin too. I mean they make things for one of the worst engines of all time the 3.2 whichs leaks everywherer and i dont want anything that has been in a catera any wherer near my car nevermind powering it well thats my rant and long live the 2.8 and an engine has to be bad if they kill it in a year (cough cough 3.2)

#22 ·
Franchise2005 said:
See this is great and everything and I would be very excited abotu this but yeah i own a 2.8L which is probably one of the greatest engines ever made and they make nothing for it thats bull i hate that wtf i mean come on the 2.8 needs some lovin too. I mean they make things for one of the worst engines of all time the 3.2 whichs leaks everywherer and i dont want anything that has been in a catera any wherer near my car nevermind powering it well thats my rant and long live the 2.8 and an engine has to be bad if they kill it in a year (cough cough 3.2)
Like your "Ford is great" comment, your kidding about the 2.8, right?:yup:

#24 ·
AmesCTS-V said:
I had a typed up a post yesterday about the PCM re-learning as a factor, but I ended up not posting since I didn't want to add confusion to the waters. It is a factor. You should probably reset the PCM before every run. The re-learn takes a while.

You might see a situation where you dyno stock, add CAI, dyno again and find you picked up 20hp or something. Once the PCM gets used to more air it might re-learn with more air and end up at something more like 10hp. A PCM reset would eliminate this, but using a resetted PCM isn't quite fair either...
I was worried about this exact issue, I felt there was a pretty lengthy re-learn time after I installed my K&N. And K&N included a dyno run result sheet with the intake that said it gained 14.24hp to the wheels...which is quite a long shot. So maybe this effect has something to do with it?

#25 ·
HaveBlue, turns out one thing led to another and I had to leave for LA before I had a chance to take off the intake and get it shipped out to you. Worst thing is that I don't have my car with me. So I'll see if I can do that as soon as I get back on Monday.

On that note, I've seen two good looking CTS' here already, think one of them might be a forum member. Anybody around downtown LA, 7th and Figuroa at 11:30pm Friday night? Oh yeah, and PJ, you have some fine looking women here in Los Angeles :)

#26 ·
Krank said:
On that note, I've seen two good looking CTS' here already, think one of them might be a forum member. Anybody around downtown LA, 7th and Figuroa at 11:30pm Friday night? Oh yeah, and PJ, you have some fine looking women here in Los Angeles :)
7th and Fig??? Not me, at least not on Friday nite...11:30 p.m. last nite I was chillin' at home with the wife after an exhausting 3 days in 113 degree weather in the CA dessert...10 a.m. saturday morning tho on my way to the gym I was at 7th and Fig...and every morning around 8:00 a.m. on my way to the office i pass 7th and Fig....As far as the women...I agree..there is a whole bunch of fine one's in LA...all i can do is look tho....the wife wouldn't go for anything else..LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.