Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2013 xts brake squeal

45K views 117 replies 59 participants last post by  xtsVic 
#1 ·
The brakes on my 2013 xts Luxury (22,000 miles) emit an ear piercing squeal when I brake in reverse. This usually occurs after the car has been parked for sometime, ie; overnite in my garage. In warmer weather it was just an intermittent screech that only seemed to occur if we were having wet weather. After being parked outside my office yesterday, I not only embarrassed myself, but I think I alerted the whole county when I applied the brakes while backing up. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Hello Pharmboy62,

I am sorry to hear of the noise you are noticing when applying your brakes on your vehicle. I would like to assist with setting up a dealership appointment for your vehicle to be diagnosed. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location so we can further discuss your situation.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#7 ·
#8 ·
I too have experienced this same ear piercing screech when in reverse regardless of the weather conditions. It is truly embarrassing when a customer is in my car! This is the sixth issue I have had with my XTS and it just turned 6,000 miles. Unacceptable in a car that costs north of $50,000. This was the 58th GM branded vehicle purchased in my family and it may be the last.

#11 ·
Hello CCXTS,

I understand how you are frustrated due to your current situation and I apologize for the vehicle noise you are hearing when applying your brakes. I would like the opportunity to further discuss this with you. Please send me a private message with your contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·
When I took our XTS Luxury in to dealer for first oil change in October, I mentioned the brake squeal in reverse issue and was told "engineering is aware of this concern/will address at later date". I followed up on it in November and was told there is "no update available at this time".

So it appears Cadillac has been aware of issue for some time, but nothing seems to be forthcoming--at least not yet.

#14 ·
Hello XTS Driver,

I am glad to hear that you haven’t had this concern return after your visit to the dealership. Please keep us updated if the concern returns and if you would like any assistance in working with the dealership to look into any future concerns. Thank you very much for taking the time to update the thread with your experience.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#17 ·
I have a 2013 Cadillac XTS that has 48000 miles on it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news for everyone on here, but it only gets worse!! My brakes started squealing in reverse around 8000 miles. They gradually started squealing going forward. I purchased new brake pads at 32000 miles even though i was told my pads had very little wear. After 5 trips to the dealership, they are now squealing louder than ever all the time and the dealership tells me there is nothing they can do. I now drive a 50k car with the loudest brakes on the street. The dealership will do nothing and is very arogant about it. I don't know what to do at this point.

#18 ·
Hello Mike Porter,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners. I am sorry to hear of the ongoing brake squeal you are experiencing, which is now worse than before. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I have a service appointment this Monday for the squealing brake issue. Only happens in reverse, after the car has been parked, and does not happen every time. 23,000 miles on my 2013 XTS with majority of road miles at 150 plus per day. Will post dealership's advice after the appointment.
quaybee,

Please keep us updated on the outcome of your dealership visit. Gregory and I monitor the Cadillac forums and are here to assist. We can be reached via private message; be sure to include your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. We can further discuss your situation and reach out to your dealership on your behalf if needed.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

We,too, have this problem. Two trips to dealership each time being told there is nothing wrong. There IS something wrong and it is both embarrassing and irritating. Not only the squeal, but the brakes are also grabby, this could be dangerous. Cadillac should be shamed. This vehicle is supposed to be top notch.
XtsYoungstown,

I understand your frustration due to your current situation. I would like the opportunity to further discuss this with you. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#19 ·
The dealership ordered special brake grease for the squeal and will schedule another service appointment to apply. Dealership also stated a thin layer of rust forms on the brake disc in damp weather and when brakes are initially applied, the rust is removed causing the squeal. I advised that I was previously told Brembo brakes don't rust. I will await the next appointment.

#21 ·
Great news! I had called my dealer to ask them about the problem a week ago and a service bulletin had
not been issued. Mary had mentioned she would call me if anything came up. Well, I am excited to relay
that Mary was pro-active and called me to schedule a time to bring in my car to have the bulletin
performed. I just picked it up tonight and thus far no screeching yeah! Service bulletin #2480038. Kudos to Mary for customer service that exceeded expectations. She is what Cadillac ownership is all about.
Unfortunately my glove box switch has a short and a part had to be ordered, so that I may open it. Please give my thanks to Mary

#22 ·
Just a quick update on my screaming brake issue. With help from Laura M at Cadillac Customer Care and a very accommodating service department at my dealer, I got the car back yesterday and so far all is quiet. Work order states they replaced pads, calipers, bolts, pins and clips on the front and new pads and machined the rotors on the back. Many thanks to Jay and Cathy at Camargo Cadillac in Cincinnati for their courteous and diligent efforts. I sure hope this is a permanent fix and won't have to repeat in another 20,000 miles. Also hope that others having this problem have similar success with their cars.

#23 ·
Hi Pharmboy62,

We're extremely pleased to hear that we were able to help with getting this issue resolved with your vehicle. We would be more than happy to forward your positive report to Jay and Cathy at Camargo Cadillac! If there is anything we can help with in the future please feel free to contact us.

Amber N. (assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

#25 · (Edited)
I have now developed the squeak. It occurs when car has sat for only few hours. I have had the lube job done yesterday per PI0917B 2480038 and the car squeaked this morning. Mine does it in reverse and forward and as with other, it goes away after the first few times the brakes are applied. My service advisor said some clients have had the service done and the squeak is milder, but still present

I called the dealer this morning to see what they can do to resolve the problem. I like Cadillac. I really like the dealership from the owner to my tech.
Hopefully, we can work this out.

I wonder who else has had this problem on a 2013-2014 XTS and if the problem was resolved to their satisfaction.

Bulletin below:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PI0917B: Front Brake Squeal or Squeak Noise Intermittently on Initial Brake Applies - (Dec 10, 2013)
Subject:
Front Brake Squeal or Squeak Noise Intermittently on Initial Brake Applies
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/images/999999995.gif
Models:
2013-2014 Buick Regal GS
2013-2014 Cadillac ATS, Equipped with RPO J55
2013-2014 Cadillac XTS Equipped with RPO J64 (Brakes, front Brembo, antilock, 4-wheel disc)
2014 Cadillac CTS Sedan Equipped with RPO J55 orJ56
2014 Chevrolet Corvette, SS
This PI has been revised to update the Models and the Parts Information. Please discard PI0917A.

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on a squeal or squeak noise from the front brakes. This condition normally only occurs on initial brake applications after the vehicle has sat for an extended time. The condition occurs typically under light braking, in speeds under 16 km/h (10 mph). After 1-6 brake applies, or after braking at higher speeds, the noise no longer occurs. This condition may occur more often in high humidity conditions.

Recommendation/Instructions
Important: Do not apply the lubricant to the back of the backing plate.

Apply a light coat of the lubricant to completely cover the pad backing plate abutments on each end. The lubricant should not extend onto the friction material. Refer to the illustration below.

Object ID: 3291081Click here for detailed picture of the image.
Parts Information
The lubricant can be obtained from the Warranty Parts Center (WPC). Please use the form at the end of this bulletin to order the part.

Part Number

Description

Qty

WPC# 741

Lubricant

1*

* One tube will remedy approximately 5 vehicles.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

2480038*

Apply Lubricant to Front Disc Brake Pads

0.6 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#26 · (Edited)
Update: I spoke to my Service Manager and he asked me to bring the car in Monday. They will try a brake pad swap. I know it states in the information bulletin that this will not help but hopeful. Dealership is going above and beyond the stated solution of lube. GM has not come up with any other solution at this time.

Manager said some sets work better than others and we will try this.

#27 ·
Hello cblove,

Thank you for providing an update on your situation. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for you, but I am glad your dealership has been assisting you towards resolving this concern. Please keep me updated after your dealer visit; I would appreciate it. I can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#30 ·
Thank you for letting us know, cblove. I am glad new brake pads seem to have resolved your vehicle concern. Don't hesitate to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Kindest Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Ditto here. 2013 XTS Premium with ~19,000 miles. Only happens when in reverse/backing. Any only happens after the car has been washed and parked in an unheated garage overnight. It is LOUD, especially when I'm backing out of the garage at 5:45 am.
Hi kimbo1,

I am sorry to hear you are also experiencing a concern with the brakes in your XTS. Have you worked with your Cadillac dealership yet? If you would like to further discuss your situation, please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#32 ·
Hello TomD1951,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a concern with your XTS’ brakes squealing. Please keep us updated when you have your appointment with your dealership. If you would like any assistance working with the dealership, please feel free to private message me as well. I will be sure to be on the lookout for your future updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#33 ·
Thanks Gregory,
I was told at my dealership that it was due to a thin film of water forming on the pads usually happening in cooler weather. They checked my brakes and found no issues. They suggested i hit the brakes while backing up, and this does stop the squeal.
This noise is probably caused by some small nuance in the design geometry. The engineers will probably find a cure.

#36 ·
Hello garrykolb,

I am glad to hear that this update was able to address the noise you were hearing from your brakes. Thanks for posting your experience you have had with this. Please keep us updated if the sound comes back. Laura or I would be more than happy to assist you in working with the dealership to look into this concern further.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#37 ·
I ran into this issue on my 2013 XTS as soon as the cold weather settled in the Northeast. Happened each morning when backing out of my garage, never noticed the problem in forward motion. Also noticed a couple times when parked a while at the mall (cold single and teen digit days) when backing out of a parking place. I emailed my service manger giving him a synopsis, and after researching he commented back to me with: I did find a Preliminary Information bulletin on the XTS with your brake option. They have a lubricant to apply to the back of the brake backing plate abutments. I'll have the parts department order the lubricant and get you in to try it on your car. The service was completed and have not had any further squeals.

#44 ·
Hi Austin,

Thanks for the offer, I think I will wait until I take it in for it's first maintenance visit.
X Caddy,

No problem. Please keep us informed how the maintenance visit goes.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

On my car service notice lube was applied and a different set of brake pads were installed. The squeal has returned but not as bad. The car is currently back at the dealership since Tuesday. They have brought in a GM representative in to access the issue.
I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for you, cblove. If you would like to further discuss your situation, please feel free to send me a private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Just had my XTS in the shop for a few things. Oil streak on passenger and driver window, Heated seats not warming up during auto start and the breaks squeak. The service reports states that they looked it up in the GM system and and had to lube the breaks and i think replace the pads. I have not heard anything but its only been one morning.
Hey Bejaip,

I am sorry you had to take your car to the dealership over those issues. Please let the forum know what happens with the brakes; hopefully, some of the other members will benefit from the info as well.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.