Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Turn me on to a CTS-V

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  lowoctane. 
#1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post here, I do not own a CTS-V yet, but am in the market, I currently own a 2002 BMW M3 that I'm thinking of selling if I find the right CTS-V. I have a few questions, How well do these cars handle in stock form, are you all in all happy that you bought a CTS-V? thanks

----------

here is some details on the car im interested in buying, maybe someone on here can tell me if these add-ons are good, Magnuson MP112 Hybrid-roots supercharger
Supercharger still has warranty on it.
Magnaflow dual cat back exhaust with x pipe.
Monster Clutch Level 2
Snow Performance methanol injection
K&N cold air intake
Short Throw shifter, CAGS skip shift eliminator
BMR Pinion support brace
Replaced engine & transition mounts

#2 ·
If you go and find one to drive you will talk yourself into it. From the moment I first test drove an 05 new on a lot in 05 I knew it was going to be a car I was going to own. I had to wait 8 years to get one because of having kids and other things, but would never want to get rid of it now. Very happy with the car but mine was never stock to me and it is getting harder and harder to find one that way anymore. Even if it is as simple as aftermarket exhaust somebody has probably done something to it. They are great handling cars as well as "go fast in a straight line" cars as too. I wanted this as oppossed to a GTO or Vette or something like that because I have two little girls and I wanted it for the family. They love riding in it as much as I love driving it. Sorry if long winded but I could talk about this car for a long time. Cue wife eye roll!

BDV

----------

[/COLOR]here is some details on the car im interested in buying, maybe someone on here can tell me if these add-ons are good, Magnuson MP112 Hybrid-roots supercharger
Supercharger still has warranty on it.
Magnaflow dual cat back exhaust with x pipe.
Monster Clutch Level 2
Snow Performance methanol injection
K&N cold air intake
Short Throw shifter, CAGS skip shift eliminator
BMR Pinion support brace
Replaced engine & transition mounts[/QUOTE]

That doesn't seem like a very "stock" car to me!

BDV

#4 ·
it very well could have been beaten on but like most of us that own a car like this it is going to have been enjoyed a time or two! With that list though the previous owner knew what they were probably doing and cared for the car that way. You can have all that power and stuff and still not abuse it. It sure seems like they weren't messing around with what they did though. those aren't "weekend warrior" mods! Just for what it is worth, I don't have those mods, just some intake and exhaust bolt-ons and a tune and I pulled away quite easily from a M3 once. And there are carseats back there! hehe.

BDV

#6 ·
Those are pretty good mods. Superchargers arent cheap. I wish I had one with meth injection. But even without I think the cars a blast. There are a few stupid problems most noteably bushings and rearend. Mine hums after about 40mph. I think that would be the most telling sign if it was abused. That being said I think many guys on here have abused their cars and they seem to hold up pretty well. Like bvd said test drive it and youll likely want to own it. For me my mind was made up even before I owned one...

#8 ·
Those are really good mods to start with. The car handles great in stock form but sits a little high for my tastes so coilovers or lowering springs are always a nice add on depending on your goals.

#9 ·
I'm assuming the car has been tuned after those mods were installed. May want to make sure of that.

The supercharger will make street driving loads of fun. I'd consider replacing the pinion brace with axles instead.

Have you driven the car yet?

#12 ·
Stock handling is good but some sway bars made it even better and it is very flat now. I bet a supercharger is a load of fun but it does add about 70lbs to the front end so it's a give/take. My emphasis is enjoying the handling because I'm real happy with the power the LS2 makes. I think you'll like one, maintenance is as cheap as most any regular car and reliability seems excellent.

#15 ·
... I bet a supercharger is a load of fun but it does add about 70lbs to the front end so it's a give/take ...
Easily compensated for by installing long-tube headers (in place of the cast iron exh mans) and installing a light-weight flywheel (in place of the dual-mass FW).

Well, some of it anyway.

#13 ·
Have not drove it yet, still trying to take in the fact im selling my M3 it feels like im giving away my first born LOL... I'm sure I will like CTS-V, just so impressed with the M3 it does everything right except one thing will never sound like a V8

#14 ·
Meh. I've driven the V for a while now. I drove an M3 before as well. I fell in love with the V in .0003758 seconds. Yeeeees the shifter was sloppy, the car isn't as good fit n finish wise as the M. But its pretty nice on a long drive, gets damn good fuel economy for a car of this magnitude, and its got a manual. I wasn't impressed with an M3 because it just doesn't appeal to my cockles like the rumble of a V8 with long tubes.

#16 ·
Ive owned plenty of M3's. I actually traded my last M3 for the CTS-V. The V is definitely bulkier, heavier, the handling is nothing compared to any M3, its a Cadillac. Though the space,power, maintenance cost, aftermarket availability is definitely a plus. My M3 was a 4dr so it wasn't anything different, I just needed a change. The V is definitely classier, I get more compliments in it than the M3. Plus Ive been a corvette lover since birth, the V had the perfect mix I was looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.