Cadillac Owners Forum banner

ABS+Stability+Traction issue

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  MywifesCar 
#1 ·
A month ago I got a warning while braking semi-hard, Service Stability Sys and Service Brake Assist. Nothing could be felt, only the warning lamps glowing at me. Happened again a few trips later. Gradually became more frequent and needed less hard braking to come on. Lately it'll turn on after a few seconds after start whether I'm braking or not.

Annoying but I could drive on. Well tonight something new happened, when braking normally the pedal pulsates a little and with high frequency just before I stop. So if braking from 50 mph to 0 mph in a normal fashion, at 5 mph the ABS (which I assume it is) starts without being needed.

Anything I can do before driving to the money hungry dealer? Testing, changing most likely components? Can I drive it?!

Any suggestion is welcome.

#2 ·
Wheel bearing or steering wheel postion sensor is my bet. The cheapest thing would be take it to the dealer for a proper diagnosis. You can choose to throw parts at it until you hopefully fix it or buy a tech 2 and scan it yourself however both of those will be much higher than the $80 diagnostic fee. It's a Cadillac not a Honda which any jiffy lube can diagnose an issue with.

#3 ·
With those messages present you should be able to get it scanned at a local parts store, as long as their scanner can read more than just PCM codes. I also suspect a wheel speed sensor (wheel bearing) or steering wheel position sensor, the code(s) will tell the full story though.

#4 ·
curtc said:
With those messages present you should be able to get it scanned at a local parts store, as long as their scanner can read more than just PCM codes. I also suspect a wheel speed sensor (wheel bearing) or steering wheel position sensor, the code(s) will tell the full story though.
I have never seen a parts store with ascanner capable of listing Cxxxx abs chassis codes....

#10 ·
Got lucky I think, the local garage I sometimes use when I have more money than time:))), they could read the fault codes on their laptop. Rear left ABS sensor. So I need a new bearing/hub. They are priced very very differently, OEM is about 10x as expensive at the China part. I've always used the cheapest part available for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, including hubs, worked fine. Does anybody have experience with these cheap hubs?

#17 ·
mine just acted up. was diagnosed back in march. they just cleaned it off and told me to keep an eye on it. went off after the first 100 miles, and didn't happened again, until this week. snow and salt season just hit. this time it gets replaced, along with my newly shattered rear window.

#14 ·
Wheel bearings are like tires and beds, you get what you pay for...Cheap out and you'll be doing it again soon and replacing a wheel bearing isn't exactly my favorite thing to do.

G
#19 ·
Our 2006 CTS started doing this a couple years ago and we have just lived with it. It only occurs while turning and pulling into a parking space. Well since my wife drives this car the majority of the time I almost always come inches shy of hitting the parked car in front of us when I drive. My question to you guys is how does replacing the wheel bearing fix an issue with the ABS sensor? I thought these were two different parts. GM guys have been satisfied with Timkin seals for some time now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.