Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Has anyone figured out how to get a little more spring rate into the DTS?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ltdltc 
#1 ·
I know... I know... The DTS is a soft ride car. Has anyone changed to a little stiffer set of springs? Not looking to slam it or really degrade the ride. I would just like a little less body roll. I'm guessing there must be some kind of spring that will fit out there. I can't imagine a sway bar option.

Anyone figure out anything?

#15 ·
Springs and sway bars from a performance model would bolt on. MRC shocks/struts would not be compatible.
But he already has them on his car. The only difference between the suspensions on regular and performance sedans is in the rear, performance coil springs are slightly taller to accommodate the MRC shock.

My understanding that the springs on the performance version were the exact same spring rate. Maybe the swaybars were different, but I thought I read that the mag ride shocks were the only real difference between the "performance" and "regular" versions. Everything I find says the sways interchange between FE1 and FE3... so they are the same.
I looked into everything I could do with my Lux II and the best option was to get a MRC equipped DTS. Even with MRC though this is a floaty suspension and the MRC can only do so much.

If you looking for decent ride ditch the AC Delcos and go with Monroes or KYB. That's what I did before I switched I put Monroes and it was 70% better drive but still floated quite a bit.

If you looking for a more performance oriented ride then a CTS/STS is where you'd want to be.

#3 ·
I'm not sure how long you been driving the DTS or Cadillacs in general, but once you master how to take curves and turns at high speeds. You wont need a stiffer ride :) My old mechanic used to be a dirt track race car driver. He took my old Seville out on a curvy road and pushed it to the limit. When we got back to the shop, my tires were SMOKING! I said in the car, "where gonna spin out". He said no, not with these cars, they were made to handle this kind of driving. Also, with front wheel drive, the car will go in the direction your going (within limits).

I understand your concern though. How fast are you driving your DTS? At 100 mph you can still hug a curve pretty good (you will feel the body lean though). I wouldn't suggest doing it often :) However, when driving fast on a straight road, nothing feels better than this smooth soft riding love wagon. Actually feels like your floating on air.

#4 · (Edited)
Most of what I want to correct is the low speed "getting out of shape" when crossing speed bumps, and driveways thresholds. Staying a little more flat in higher speed turns would be a side benefit. This car really moves around a lot more than necessary. Just a bit more firm would be great and still ride awesome.

My understanding that the springs on the performance version were the exact same spring rate. Maybe the swaybars were different, but I thought I read that the mag ride shocks were the only real difference between the "performance" and "regular" versions. Everything I find says the sways interchange between FE1 and FE3... so they are the same.

#5 ·
How many miles do you have on your car? Have the struts been replaced up front?

I ask this because my car has now 59K miles on it, but about 10K miles ago (shortly before I bought it), my front struts were replaced by the dealer. The ride is OK (harsher than I like, but that's another story). The ride is how it was originally, I suspect. There's not much body roll. It can take curves well and seems very stable on curves, bumps, speed bumps, etc.

I'm wondering if perhaps a new set of struts up front (if you don't already have new ones) may correct much of what you seem to be experiencing.

#6 ·
Mine has 96K miles. When you do the traditional shock/strut test (push down on a corner and it should rise back up quickly and stay up...) it bounces just a little. So I know it is time for shocks/struts, but I was hoping to slip a little extra upgrade in at the same time.

#8 ·
I wouldn't say useless. I would agree that it is not 100% conclusive. However, when you press down and release and you get upward movement followed by about 20% (of original upward travel) in the downward direction and you can still see it taking some very small upward and downward travel before it stabilizes... then they are ready for replacement.

#9 ·
The trim level in the "DTS" determines the sophistication of the suspension system. If the system is "active" it exhibits very different characteristics with the key on and off. A passive system is the same, hot or not - just like a '62 Chevy.

#11 ·
When I turn my key on, the back rises. I'm not sure if it's air or electronic or both. My old SLS had both electronic struts and shocks.

I think he should replaces the rear shocks with regular shocks. But the with the weight of the vehicle. The tires will wear a lot faster and other suspension parts will wear faster as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.