Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Mark VIII cooling fan swap

906 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  cadillac kevin 
#1 ·
I want to put a Lincoln Mark VIII fan in my 79 to see if I can gain 1 or 2 mpg. Been reading guides and threads and it looks like it would work well enough. Every mpg counts and my main goal right now is to get to 20 mpg. Best so far is 16 with most of that tank being from Sacramento to San Francisco and back, and the rest commuting to work 20 minutes of highway between Sacramento and Roseville.

#6 ·
Hadn't thought of that. Didn't realize they came with that. You think it would be good enough? I've just read that the Taurus and Mark VIII fans were the best ones according to some threads. Would be nice to just drop something in though. I imagine the LT-1 Caprices and Roadmasters would have the same thing.

#8 ·
what year of Mark VIII? I have an 83 2 door brougham 4.1L V8 and was thinking of doing this conversion. I have a 96 impala ss with 2 fans and 160
thermostat and pcm flash by pcmforless.com does anyone have a write up for this conversion? How would I go about having my fans turn on at a
certain degree?

#9 ·
what year of Mark VIII? I have an 83 2 door brougham 4.1L V8 and was thinking of doing this conversion. I have a 96 impala ss with 2 fans and 160
thermostat and pcm flash by pcmforless.com does anyone have a write up for this conversion? How would I go about having my fans turn on at a
certain degree?
I think it is any year mark VIII (those are the round ones from the late 90s)
As for what temp to turn on, I think that is done by a sensor on the engine.

#12 ·
Assuming you have a fan clutch, not a solid fan, I doubt you would see a 2 MPG gain any time soon! The fan clutch disengages just above idle to gain mileage and should re engage at slow speed to pull air thru the radiator. The expense of the electric fan would be better spent in the gas tank. Given the age of your car, 16 MPG is very good. If you really want to improve mileage replace the trans with an overdrive unit. Electric fans, in my opinion, fitted to a car that didn't have them originally only provides male bragging rights with your buddies!

#13 ·
Bragging rights are good too though. When my buddy at work puts the coil-overs on his Civic hatchback, I can be like, yeah well, I have the best factory electric fan conversion in my Cad, and now it gets .5 mpg better. And then he'd be like, your car only gets .5 mpg?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.