Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How Often Should You Replace The Coolant?

11K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tjwhite721 
#1 ·
I have 90k miles on my beautiful 2006 DTS and I'm thinking about having the coolant drained and new coolant added. Any recommendations?

Some say its not necessary and some say it is necessary cause the coolant can get dirty over-time.

Also, I know coolant flushes are bad, so that is why I'm just having the coolant drained.

#6 ·
According to the Owner's Manual, you should replace the coolant once every five years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, with
DEX-COOL® engine coolant. I do not know that when you acquired your Caddy. You may have to replace the hoses. The dealer can tell you about the condition of the hoses and the thermostat.

#8 ·
jazoo said:
According to the Owner's Manual, you should replace the coolant once every five years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, with
DEX-COOL® engine coolant. I do not know that when you acquired your Caddy. You may have to replace the hoses. The dealer can tell you about the condition of the hoses and the thermostat.
5 years is a lot to ask of coolant. Most members here will recommend 3 years max.

And FWIW, you don't HAVE to use DEX, the all makes/all models stuff will perform exactly the same.

#10 ·
A bit late but ............ If you took the car in to a GM dealer and asked for a coolant change, they will use a pressure/vacuum machine to perform a complete coolant exchange using a 50/50 DEX-COOL/water mixture. You should not be able to tell they did anything. When the engine cools the coolant level should be at the proper level in the surge tank - half full. Note the "FULL COLD" legend and arrow molded into the top and side of the surge tank. Do not be surprised if they replace the pressure cap.

#11 ·
A bit late but ............ If you took the car in to a GM dealer and asked for a coolant change, they will use a pressure/vacuum machine to perform a complete coolant exchange using a 50/50 DEX-COOL/water mixture. You should not be able to tell they did anything. When the engine cools the coolant level should be at the proper level in the surge tank - half full. Note theh "FULL COLD" legend and arrow molded into the top and side of the surge tank. Do not be surprised if they replace the pressure cap.
Hi Submarine,

They just drained it and replaced with new Dex cool. The GM super tech said if it comes out not dirty, there's no need to flush. He checked my hoses and they were good. After he refilled it he washed my engine area with water and took it for ride to make sure he didn't smell coolant and etc. Brought it back in and made sure the level was accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.