Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2007 STS Shift to park error!!!

37K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  hiltonny 
#1 ·
Hello, does anyone know how to remove the console on a 2007 STS?? I will need to remove it to replace the shifter assy. My STS has only 50k on it. Any way the error will not go out now and runs the battery down. Thanks Paul:bomb:

#2 ·
I think some members have found success with adjusting the shifter but my wife's dealer replaced hers. I trust a member who's done the job will chime in soon.

For a while, pressing the brake and/or fiddling with the shifter helped shut off the car. But then the lights started staying on and/or it kept running; a real pain. Her extended warranty covered all but a deductable. These are not inexpensive cars to enjoy, but we sure did today! 4 states worth (I-70 -> I-75 -> US-35 -> I-64 -> I-77 -> I-64). I-81 is next! (Please forgive the thread Hi-jack!)

Good Luck!

#4 ·
I had the same message on mine, while it was in for warranty work I asked them to look at it. It is a non-warranted item and it would cost and hours labor, so I went home a tried it myself. Put the car up on the ramps, slide under the passenger side at the shifter area. You will see the shifter lever and adjustment bolt right there (I think it was an 8 or 9mm), loosen it, move it a half inch, and retighten. Get in car and test, most likely you went the wrong way, so go back under and move and inch in the other direction and try again. It took me a couple tries to find the sweet spot but it is perfect now.
Super easy job that takes all of 10 minutes. I would try this first before installing a whole new shifter assy.

#5 ·
From this thread I posted on this subject.

Automatic Transmission Shift Linkage Adjustment

(Note: this was posted online in 2008 so it likely applies to model years newer than this as well, I have not seen this in any TSB)
Hope it helps someone that is having issues with their shifter, maybe it will be good info.

This information applies to the 2004-08 SRX, 2005-08 STS and 2006-08 CTS equipped with automatic transmissions.

Many automatic transmission shift control related concerns can be corrected with linkage adjustment.

DO NOT replace a shifter assembly without first attempting to correct the condition with the linkage adjustment procedure (fig. 8).
Refer to SI for the proper service procedures.

A Adjustment issues - forward biased
B Adjustment issues - rearward biased

TIP: Symptoms of forward-biased adjustments (fig. 9) include cluster blanking out in Drive, and Tap Mode not functioning.
Ensure that the linkage is adjusted properly when Drive blanks out, or Tap Mode does not function.

A Forward biased
C J-bracket
D Linkage

TIP: Symptoms of reverse-biased adjustments (fig. 10) include the inability to remove the key, or inability to exit Accessory Mode.
Ensure that the linkage is adjusted properly when there is the inability to remove the key, or inability to exit Accessory Mode.

B Rearward biased
C J-bracket
D Linkage

TIP: When diagnosing a binding shift control system, disconnect the linkage from the shifter assembly and check the shifter assembly
for smooth operation independently from the linkage. The transmission should be in Park during evaluation.

The linkage adjustment procedure is critical for proper transmission operation; therefore, several checks need to be performed after
the linkage is adjusted:

- Inspect the operation of the starting system with the shift lever in each position.
-- The engine should crank only when the lever is in the Park or Neutral position.

- Ensure that the feel of the shift detents align with the gear indicator.

- When in each gear, apply the button and release. Then slightly reposition the handle fore-and-aft in the vehicle. The button pawl
will make a clicking noise if it is caught on a control mechanism gate. The button should not get caught up on the control mechanism
gate in any gear. Readjust and retest if necessary.

- Return the lever to the Park position and check for proper engagement. Park position should feel solid and not spongy.
The shift lever should not be bottomed out on the stop bumper when engaging the Park position. Readjust and retest if necessary.

- With the ignition on and the engine not running, ensure a smooth transition from position D to Tap Mode and back.
Ensure that the DIC changes to the gear indicator mode. If the DIC does not change to gear indicator mode, or any binding or rough
spots are felt, repeat the linkage adjustment procedure and retest the system.

If any of the following conditions exist after performing the linkage adjustment, the shifter may need to be replaced.

- The shifter binds when putting the vehicle into gear or Park
- The ignition key sticks or is hard to remove from the ignition lock cylinder (SRX only)
- The Shift to Park message is constantly displayed on the DIC when the shifter is in the Park position
- Dead battery
- The Tap Shift functions may experience a delay when operating the Tap-Up or Tap-Down mode
- The Tap Shift functions are inoperative
- The MIL/SES light is illuminated with one of the following DTCs:
- DTC P0815 - Upshift Switch Circuit
- DTC P0816 - Downshift Switch Circuit
- DTC P0826 - Up and Down Shift Switch Circuit
- DTC P1876 - Up and Down Shift Enable Switch Circuit Low Voltage

Source

#11 ·
I had this error once but mines had nothing to do with the shifter. Mines was a sensor error in the transmission. I can't remember the name of the part but it tells the car what gear the transmission is in. It happened while I was driving, I felt a thud then the d for drive in the dic went away and the car was stuck in third gear. I got the car home shut it off and it said shift to park. I restarted it and the gears shifted fine but still had the shift to park error. So I just disconnected the battery touched the cables together and crossed my fingers. Put it together and it works fine. Knock on wood. I've it a try.

#16 ·
Using a blunt trim tool release the clip retainers under the arm rest.
Release the clip retainers on the front of the trim panel.
Remove the trim panel.

Remove the shifter bezel. Refer to Console Shift Lever Bezel Replacement .

Move the driver and passenger front seat in order to access the retaining bolts.
Remove the retaining bolts.

Disconnect the 4 console electrical connectors from the instrument panel harness.
Remove the console.

#17 ·
will a problem with the gear shifter cause a no start issue with a push button ignition?
The car says shift to park and drains the battery since it wont turn off. Upon recharging and trying to start, all the gauges max out and the electronics click off (lights, radio etc.) The engine wont engage!! Any help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.