Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Do you have a favorite city in the U.S.?

4K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  vincentm 
#1 ·
Whether for better or worse I have lived many places in the United States. I am always interested in what makes a place "great" for those that live their or have just visited the place.

Granted to there are many drawbacks one of my favorite American cities: traffic, occasional air quality, taxes, cost of owning a home. But for an interesting lace to live (I am not so sure as a place to visit) Los Angeles offers me the interesting environment. Frequently, when learning I am from L.A., don't you miss the weather, sometimes I am truthful, and say what I really miss about L.A. are the people.

Far from the "layed back" complacent place that East Coast folks have loved to look down their noses at as they try to cope with visiting the city. Angelenos are a hard working, industrious folk although it is true they are less full of themselves and more open to new ideas and different experiences than their peers in some other American cities.

But what I like best about L.A. is the incredible variety of experience that the city offers. Whether it is the wide variety of ethnic neighborhoods that make up the city, or the range of locals (beaches to snow covered mountains in Winter), or the fine cuisine of some of the best restaurants in the country to faire on offer from the food trucks and mom and pop cafes. No other city comes close, except for NYC.

What is your favorite city?

See less See more
#3 ·
You are not alone in your dislike of NYC. My wife and son really despise the place. And you are also not alone in not going to large cities. When I lived in New Jersey (Moorestown) I knew many people who had never been to NYC (which was only 90 miles away) and many who rarely went to Philadelphia (even though it was 15 miles away) and even some that had never been to Philadelphia!

You seem to know what you like and the type of place that satisfies you and where you feel comfortable. That is good!

G
#4 ·
My b.f. is from down that way and he even hates everything about North jersey he cant grip the fact that it takes 45 minutes to get to the mall that is 4 miles away lol

Your description is 100% I guess it is a Jersey thing but what do expect when people only recognize only one of the 4 parts? lol

I am getting ready to explore V.A. next week Doswell, Williamsburg ect.. I wanna see one of those Stuckeys places lol

#5 ·
Hope you will enjoy Williamsburg, although it is pretty crowded this time of year. I prefer some of the more western towns like Lexington and Staunton. Virginia is loaded with history .... even more so than New Jersey because of the Civil War as well as the battle grounds of the Revolution. Along with all the historical sites Virginia is also a state with a variety of beautiful areas: the Blue Ridge and Apalachian mountains, the Shenandoah Valley and the Tidewater area (Williamsburg, etc). By and large the people are pleasant

#6 ·
Fairbanks, Alaska because of the weather and the people. When you talk to somebody on the street you have no idea what their story might be. There are very few that are here by chance. The winter weather takes care of that. A happenstance of life that might be considered an adventure somewhere else can rapidly expand into a life threatening experience in the blink of an eye. People have a different outlook on life. If you can't fend for yourself you could wind up in big trouble. On the other hand the scenery and the ambience is unmatched anywhere. If you are looking for solitude it is here. If you want to pit your wits against mother nature, this is the place. If you want to interact with friendly, sociable people they are here. If you want to live the life of a hermit you can do that too. There's nobody to tell you that you can't cut down the trees in your yard. There's nobody to tell you that you can't plant a garden. You can put up just about any size flagpole and fly as big an American flag as you want. The most heinous crime you can commit is to illegally kill a moose and waste the meat. We're different and proud of it.

#7 ·
I really like Pittsburgh. It's clean, a nice size, people are usually nice as long as you are wearing Steelers gear. Things aren't priced too steep, and there is lots to do. The only thing I really dislike is the driving situation. With those rivers, one missed turn could mean a 7 mile detour!

#12 · (Edited)
San Diego
Sacramento. My uncle lives in El Dorado hills, a small city 20 miles east of Sacramento. I visited him two months ago and stayed at his house which faces Folsom lake. What a clean, beautiful, and classy place to be and live!
Scottsdale. It is not my favorite city in the US, but it is the best city that I have lived in.

#14 ·
San Diego
Sacramento. My uncle lives in El Dorado hills, a small city 20 miles east of Sacramento. I visited him two months ago and stayed at his house that faces Folsom lake. What a clean, beautiful, and classy place to be and live!
Scottsdale. It is not my favorite city in the US, but it is the best city that I have lived in.
Born and raised in south sacramento here

#13 ·
I loved Baltimore when i went down there with my Father 8-10 years ago in his STS. But i pretty much hate all city's because the people there all seem to be nasty people. Went to NYC had people bumping into me and such no sorry nothing just kept walking also the roads suck and everything there costs way to much $$$$.

#18 · (Edited)
I was born and raised in the Bay Area (CA) and have lived here most of my life. I have been to Ireland, Japan, Hong Kong various places in the states but I always find my way back. I work in San Jose because that's where the High Tech jobs are. I communte to Morgan Hill which has a Population of about 40,000 people which would be small in comparision to San Jose Which is close to 1 million people.

San Francisco is an okay place to visit but I actually prefer the more Rural areas myself.

Close to Beaches, Snow, Lakes, Strip clubs :)D), and some nice restuarants and clubs.

As a friend of mine once said, it is like a sore pecker... Can't beat it!

#20 ·
In my opinion Baltimore has some of the best restaurants south of New York City. I haven't been there for over twelve years, but things seem to be heading up the last time I was there.

Baltimore must be the museum capital of the world. They seem to have a museum for everything under the sun!

#21 ·
As far as a place to live I have never been to a place that made me think I would rather there than here in Madison. It is large enough that you can find everything you need/want 24 hours a day, yet small enough that everyone you meet you find you are connected to them somehow. Anywhere I go I run into people I know and it really feels like a small town. We get the full range of seasons and all weather conditions. within the city there are 4 lakes and lots of wooded areas and parks.

As far as travels go, there are several places I have been that I am always drawn back to again and again. They all have the same effect on me. When I arrive in them it is like a huge exhale and release of all anxiety and worries. They are all places that every time I have been to them I have felt at peace. :cloud9:
Key West FL, Ludington MI, and Waynesboro WV.(End of Skyline Dr.)

The other places I enjoy visiting for fun are Chicago IL, Bardstown KY, Boulder CO, and yeah I know it's not in the US, Toronto Canada.

#27 ·
Madison, Wisconsin is a lovely place with everything going for except two things: Winter and Summer! And since Spring and Fall only last for two weeks each in the northern Midwest that is a problem.

When I lived in Madison, during my four years at the U of W-Madison I really enjoyed this small city's many assets. However, I never got used to the "Frost Bite" alerts, although those long frigid walks home on a cold Winter's night made for some fun times getting warm! As for Summer, having experienced inland Chicago in Summer (the hottest, most physically miserable Summer I have ever spent. And I have been known to be stuck in some hot and humid climes) I made sure I was out of Madison by the middle of June.

#25 ·
I prefer the country side 10 fold over any city. I really can't say what city is my favorite tho. Even with all the cities I've been too with my job. To me, most cities are all the same with subtle differences. I really like cities that are on rivers such as St. Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville, cities like that. And I prefer older cities of the east over newer ones of the west. Well I don't like driving a truck thru the old cities. Lol. Boston and Pittsburg, a real PITA to maneuver an 18 wheeler thru.

#26 ·
Austin Texas, for all the same reasons as L.A.

#28 ·
As far as the weather, having Lake Michigan nearby helps - so places like Milwaukee, Port Washington, Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Green Bay, etc don't quite see the extremes that the rest of the state does. The lake keeps the eastern edge of the state cool in the summer and warm in the winter, in relative terms.

The summer humidity is what's inescapable. Like Dave, I appreciate all four seasons, but the summer humidity is the part I like the least. Dew points above 65 or so are terribad.

#29 ·
I have a lot of pride in Boston. The people are hard to befriend but once you do, you have good friends. It's on the ocean. It has a big city feel and attitude but you don't need to drive hours to get out of it and into the country. You're close to about anything.

San Fran is another favorite of mine. I love the waterfront, the hills, the cable cars, the Golden Gate, the parks. And pretty much all of the California coast has amazing driving roads. If I weren't in Boston, that's probably where I'd be.

Seattle was great the two days I was there. Again, a major city on the ocean is a big draw to me. Puget Sound is gorgeous and eating seafood that isn't found everywhere in New England is such a great experience. If its not raining, I love it there, too.

For other cities I like,

Miami
Chicago
Portland, OR
Cleveland(seriously)
Pittsburgh(nestled in the surroundings)

Cities I don't like,

Dallas
Little Rock
El Paso
Los Angeles
NYC(man should not live in concrete and metal)

#40 ·
Seattle was great the two days I was there. Again, a major city on the ocean is a big draw to me. Puget Sound is gorgeous and eating seafood that isn't found everywhere in New England is such a great experience. If its not raining, I love it there, too.
I moved to Downtown Seattle from Sacramento 11 yrs ago and stood in the downtown area for 3 years, work was down the street, i could walk home for lunch, i lived on 4th and Vine, watering holes within walking distance, the Seattle Center was right around the corner (literally). During the summer, id get off work catch some drinks at my fave bar then walk to pioneer square to attend a mariners game. Life was awesome, perfect town/area to be in when youre single.

#30 ·
In this order:
Favorites;

City of Chicago is top. Stay at the Drake, do business in loop, go for cocktails Gibson's, Late night at the Lodge.. Cubs, Bears, Blues..

Chicago
San Francisco
New York
Miami
San Diego
Scottsdale
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Cleveland
Pittsburg
Tampa
Nashville
Raleigh Durham

Least:

New Orleans
Atlanta
wash DC
Baltimore
Boston
Orlando
Charlotte

#33 ·
In this order:
Favorites;

City of Chicago is top. Stay at the Drake, do business in loop, go for cocktails Gibson's, Late night at the Lodge.. Cubs, Bears, Blues..

Chicago
San Francisco
New York
Miami
San Diego
Scottsdale
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Cleveland
Pittsburg
Tampa
Nashville
Raleigh Durham

Least:

New Orleans
Atlanta
wash DC
Baltimore
Boston
Orlando
Charlotte
Your opinion is invalid.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.