Cadillac Owners Forum banner

HELP: BPTB, AC compressor

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  duecentoi 
#1 ·
HELP: '95 Seville AC compressor

Can anyone tell me the 'Best Place To Buy' an AC compressor for my '95 Seville ?
Preferably from a supplier/distributor with online capabilities...

Thanks in advance..,

#2 ·
You may want to try RockAuto.com or some of the other chain store web sites. I did a quick check at rockauto and found a few compressors rebuilt to new and prices range from $243.79 with core for reman to $425.99 w/o core for AC Delco.

I have used them and was happy with price and S&H and returns(right box wrong part)

Good Luck,

Don

#4 ·
I have heard from several trusted mechanics that the remanufactured units by Four Seasons are better than the Delco units because they machine the sealing surface and create a better front seal than Delco originally put in them. The front seals seem to be a major failure point for the Delco compressors. Also, I believe they want you to replace the accumulator/dryer at the same time as the compressor to be sure you have a good filter and dryer in there. It doesn't have to be done, but if you're going to spend the money, it might be worth the insurance. Just sharing what I've heard. As usual, your mileage may vary.

Good luck...

#5 ·
mcowden said:
I have heard from several trusted mechanics that the remanufactured units by Four Seasons are better than the Delco units because they machine the sealing surface and create a better front seal than Delco originally put in them. The front seals seem to be a major failure point for the Delco compressors. Also, I believe they want you to replace the accumulator/dryer at the same time as the compressor to be sure you have a good filter and dryer in there. It doesn't have to be done, but if you're going to spend the money, it might be worth the insurance. Just sharing what I've heard. As usual, your mileage may vary.

Good luck...
I had to make that choice when i changed mine. A lot of people say that the Four Season are cheap rebuilt and then to auto destroy themselves, some even call them ForSeizing. Any way i chose not to get a Four Season compressor and bought mine on Ebay from AirColdParts (i think) Four Season have fairly good warranty tough.... Its your choice, but do your research and figure out whats best for you.

BTW you will need to replace the dryer and orifice tube. 70$CAN for Dryer at dealer and 8$CAN for orifice tube

#6 ·
If the compressor failed catastrophicaly you will have to do much more than just replace the oriface tube and accumulator/dryer. You will have to flush ALL of the crap out of the system. That means ALL. That usually means taking all of the hoses off, as well as the condensor, and flushing them. Sometimes that means replacing the evaporatore and the condensor as well. Some designs are more prone to collecting trash than others. If you don't get it all, it will get into the compressor and it will ruin it. It is especially important if there is much trash packed in around the oriface tube. I have seen some that were so full of trash that you had to scrape some out to see the little tab used to pull the OT out.

Also BEWARE of Castrol (and probably some others) A/C flush. Under the right circumstances any flush that gets spilled and not washed off will end up smelling to high heaven like wino C**P. They deny that this happens except in very rare instances, but I have had it happen 3 times. The last time I had to pull the fender off of an Aerostar to get the stuff that had dripped into the seam. This does not happen instantly. It takes 2 or 3 weeks for it to get really bad. So bad that you can't leave the car in an attached garage because it stinks up the whole house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.