Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: If timing chain breaks, would it.....

  1. #16
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,219
    Yea I never thought about the chain simply skipping a tooth. Could very well be.


  2. #17
    amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunbright, TN
    Posts
    1,538

  3. #18
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,219
    Got the call. It's a fuel pump. Still a grand to replace. But better than a seized enginne

  4. #19
    ddalder's Avatar
    ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,852

    Re: If timing chain breaks, would it.....

    Figured it was something like that. I really couldn't see it being the hood switch. You can start and operate your car with the hood open. The hood switch is primarily to disable the remote start if the hood is open. This is a safety feature so someone can't accidentally remote start it while someone is working under the hood.

  5. #20
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by ddalder
    Figured it was something like that. I really couldn't see it being the hood switch. You can start and operate your car with the hood open. The hood switch is primarily to disable the remote start if the hood is open. This is a safety feature so someone can't accidentally remote start it while someone is working under the hood.
    Well does anyone know just how hard a fuel pump replacement is in one of these? He told me most of the cost was labor. I'm thinking I may tackle this job on my own. We've got 3 cars so if it takes a while so be it.

  6. #21
    ddalder's Avatar
    ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,852

    Re: If timing chain breaks, would it.....

    Quote Originally Posted by truckinman View Post
    Well does anyone know just how hard a fuel pump replacement is in one of these? He told me most of the cost was labor. I'm thinking I may tackle this job on my own. We've got 3 cars so if it takes a while so be it.
    The fuel pump will be in the fuel tank. In some cars you can access the pump through an access panel in the trunk... just not these cars. You'd need to drop the tank which is why it's so labour intensive.

  7. #22
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,549

    Re: If timing chain breaks, would it.....

    Parts Information OEM Part # Price
    Fuel Pump 19151141 $374.11

    Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
    B 3.0 4.6
    Does Not Include: Drain & Refill Fuel Tank.

    Pump appears to be on the passenger side of the tank based on images from service manual.

    If you were thinking of doing this on your own it looks like a special tool is needed:

    Fuel Pump Lock Ring Tool AST tool# J 45722
    Fuel pump lock ring tool that can be used on GM and Saab vehicles

    Contact AST for pricing "Assenmacher Specialty Tools"
    1 800 525 2943


    But there is also this:
    Primary Fuel Tank Module Replacement

    Tools Required

    J 45747 Fuel Tank Sender Wrench

    Secondary Fuel Tank Module Replacement

    Tools Required

    J 45747 Fuel Tank Sender Wrench

  8. #23
    amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunbright, TN
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: If timing chain breaks, would it.....

    Quote Originally Posted by truckinman View Post
    Well does anyone know just how hard a fuel pump replacement is in one of these? He told me most of the cost was labor. I'm thinking I may tackle this job on my own. We've got 3 cars so if it takes a while so be it.
    Neato
    http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/3...-2005-sts.html
    There was a hack way.
    Pull the back seat. Cut an access hole over fuel pump. remove and replace pump. patch the new access panel you made.

  9. #24
    ddalder's Avatar
    ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,852

    Re: If timing chain breaks, would it.....

    I can't imagine for a moment that I'd ever consider cutting new holes in my vehicle for something like this. Not to mention if the tank or line(s) were damaged while cutting the metal, it could lead to a catastrophic event. Some people should not be allowed to own or use tools.

  10. #25
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by ddalder
    I can't imagine for a moment that I'd ever consider cutting new holes in my vehicle for something like this. Not to mention if the tank or line(s) were damaged while cutting the metal, it could lead to a catastrophic event. Some people should not be allowed to own or use tools.
    No way in hell would I cut new holes. Lol. I dismissed that idea soon as I read it. When working around gas, the last thing I wanna do is create sparks

    ----------

    I actually knew a guy who was doing this very job but on another type of car, as he was lowering the fuel tank, a spark was created and blew the garage up. Killing him instantly. So I don't take this stuff lightly

  11. #26
    orange57's Avatar
    orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    35
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post

    Neato
    http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/3...-2005-sts.html
    There was a hack way.
    Pull the back seat. Cut an access hole over fuel pump. remove and replace pump. patch the new access panel you made.
    A 96 saab 900 I had, had a small hole under the rear seat to access the electrical connector to the fuel pump. When it I cut the hole bigger. Was about 2in diameter before, an 8in after. A small piece of scrap metal, sheetmetal screws and gasket material and the hole was patched. Just have to size the screws so you don't puncture the tank

  12. #27
    ddalder's Avatar
    ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,852

    Re: If timing chain breaks, would it.....

    Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post
    A 96 saab 900 I had, had a small hole under the rear seat to access the electrical connector to the fuel pump. When it I cut the hole bigger. Was about 2in diameter before, an 8in after. A small piece of scrap metal, sheetmetal screws and gasket material and the hole was patched. Just have to size the screws so you don't puncture the tank
    Respectfully, my position remains unchanged. Apart from the obvious hazards already mentioned, there is too great a risk of not properly sealing this from the top side. Salt, calcium and/or other anti-icing agents will start to rust and corrode the area. Even to seal it from the underside requires adequate surface prep. Proper access to do this is unlikely without moving the tank anyway.
    Last edited by ddalder; 06-03-13 at 06:58 PM.

  13. #28
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,224
    There's doing things and doing things right.

    Daddler and I reside in the same camp on this.

  14. #29
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,549
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    There's doing things and doing things right.

    ddalder and I reside in the same camp on this.
    I'm in the same camp as well on this one.
    You just don't **** around any time you're dealing with a bomb.

  15. #30
    orange57's Avatar
    orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    35
    Posts
    511
    The Saab already had the small hole. And in AZ there isn't much risk of salt and rust. Plus 220k on the clock I wasn't too worried. If there wasn't already a hole I likely would have dropped the tank. But go figure that one failed right after I filled up ha ha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum