Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Another wheel hop thread

4K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  philistine 
#1 ·
Ok I have read what I found I understand why I have this condition, it is also unbearable. 3rd gear in the rain getting on the highway I almost chipped a tooth.

My question is can we still go to the dealer and have them put in the stiffer bushings as the tsb says if we are out of warranty? Has anyone tried this? Or do we have to bite the bullet and buy aftermarket ones?

I don't mind doing things myself but if I could get a recall fix done for free ill take that any day.

Thanks guys

#9 ·
I have read this however I wish to know if anyone has recently gone to gm for the tsb fix? Last posts about it were several years ago. Free stiffer bushings would be nice.
No, this is old information and faulty logic. Listen to darkman. He is one of the main experts on this forum and knows this car better than almost anyone else.

----------

Ok thanks. I figured as much but I may call a few dealers anyways. If a phone call saves me $300 and a day or two it's worth trying. Too bad it wasn't a recall!
It doesn't matter. The GM TSB fix doesn't work. The revshift cradle bushings work. Do that instead. Honestly, are you even reading what people are writing to you?

#5 ·
Iirc the tsb was for the 4/05s only by 2006 gm put different diff bushings
When I had my 07 in the dealer there was no wheel hop tsb on the 07
Go with axles and cradle bushings , the 2 will elimate 95 percent of your hop

I went with Hendrix axles first and they elimated 50-70 percent of the hop
I since then have purchased cradle bushings from revshift

#6 ·
It won't hurt to ask a dealer, but I don't think the installation of GM bushings, assuming the parts are still available will be "free." It is a Technical Service Bulletin, not a NHTSA recall. A TSB tells the dealer how to respond to (make repairs for) a specific customer complaint but it is not a mandatory fix.

#13 ·
Wheel hop in this car is better than traction control and stability control combined. It will keep you from doing anything stupid in the rain in 3rd gear. My stock '05 diff has survived 80k maggied miles and counting and I get equal mileage from my front and rear staggered width tires.....
..... I love wheel hop! Keeps me from doing stupid things in 3rd on dry pavement. ;)

If you want to light up the tires put in an 8.8 or 9" or buy a different car. My '96 Impala SS was the king of burnouts, powerslides, drifts........ it's a good thing I got those out of my system. 2 sets of rear tires to each set of fronts was getting old.
-PJ

#14 ·
Seems to be a combination of a few things. I have the BMR AWK (cradle crushers and bar) and the CS diff block with CS bushing on Pirelli P Zero Nero all seasons, 275 40 18s.

LOL but seriously... From what I've seen, seems it varies based on tire, suspension setup, and driver. Some don't seem to ever encounter it. Some seem to always encounter it even at odd times.

#16 ·
I'm sure my cheap tires are no help at all, when I got the car it had mismatched tires. I'll keep them till I get snows for the winter then I plan to upgrade for next summer. Add that stock suspension with 95k on it (not sure if shocks are original) and I bounce a little. Not when I slide sideways but when I go hard 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift dry or if I try to drive the car in the rain it hops.

Here's another it's-a-waste-of-time comment: GM cradle bushings were not effective. As free as they were, they were a waste of time.

My Spectre Werks cradle bushings plus the Hendrix/DSS axles have been 99+% effective in eliminating WH. Get the current equivalents of these (Revshift and Gforce), and (to quote Naf) call it a day.
Sounds like a plan, that will be my project later in the summer.

#15 ·
Here's another it's-a-waste-of-time comment: GM cradle bushings were not effective. As free as they were, they were a waste of time.

My Spectre Werks cradle bushings plus the Hendrix/DSS axles have been 99+% effective in eliminating WH. Get the current equivalents of these (Revshift and Gforce), and (to quote Naf) call it a day.

#18 ·
My wheelhop was so bad I bought the BMR AWK kit. When I was installing it I found that I already had the GM TSB inserts in there. They are completely useless and a giant waste of time..oh and they squeak and creak going over any kind of bump. The BMR kit got rid of 25% of the hop. I ended up getting Gforce axles which got rid of another 50% of the hop. I ditched the BMR kit and put in Revshift cradle bushings and trailing arm bushings and my hop is completely gone on Dry pavement.

I'd recommend Gforce axles and Revshift cradle bushings.

#19 ·
Alright I'm convinced, that will be my course of action.

On another note has anyone found a way to set the traction and stability control to always off unless you turn it on? I find it a little annoying to turn these off whenever I want to "drive" the car (which is most trips). I'd rather have to turn that stuff on when I want it (10% of the time).

Before we get off track no I'm not always driving like a nut, just don't like the little issues when this stuff tries to drive the car for me, i.e. accelerating on a ramp and go over an expansion joint and TC comes on and cuts power for a second- not necessary.

#23 ·
Unfortunately it is a legal/government requirement to have full Electronic stability control and traction control upon vehicle startup on passenger cars. Generally the only exception is vehicles equipped with a 4 wheel drive system that has a low range transfer case.

#22 ·
Still have 2 sets of the delrin cradle bushings that are based off of the Specter Werkes left if needed...

#25 ·
barrok69 said:
My wheelhop was so bad I bought the BMR AWK kit. When I was installing it I found that I already had the GM TSB inserts in there. They are completely useless and a giant waste of time..oh and they squeak and creak going over any kind of bump. The BMR kit got rid of 25% of the hop. I ended up getting Gforce axles which got rid of another 50% of the hop. I ditched the BMR kit and put in Revshift cradle bushings and trailing arm bushings and my hop is completely gone on Dry pavement.

I'd recommend Gforce axles and Revshift cradle bushings.
Can you post a link to these two products? I'm also interested in fixing my wheel hop.

#29 ·
I'll be testing this soon enough. My car was in the shop recently (long story) and needs new diff bushing and upper control arm bushings. I figured as long as I'm in there might as well do the whole Revshift set so I ordered trailing arm and cradle bushings as well. I'll report on the change whenever they show up.

#30 ·
VscharesV said:
I see alot of people saying axles fixed 50% or so then with revshift bushing its completely fixed. Has anybody done cradle bushing without axles? Maybe the cradle bushings are a 98% fix by them selfs and the axles are not needed.
My car is in the shop right now getting all revshift bushings. Should have an answer this weekend or nexy

#33 ·
I just got done installing an eps cam, headers, ported heads, mm, transmission mount and revshift rear cradle and trailing arm bushings. So far my wheel hop is 98% gone. I have not dropped the clutch yet but have taking off from a stop and just got wheel spin. This was not the case before. I had terrible wheel hop. I will do some clutch dumps later in the week and report back. If things stay they way they are I say the axles are not needed to get rid of the hop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.