Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Interesting Intercooler Pumps Data - 2 is better than one

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  boomys10 
#1 ·
The attached link describes the authors testing of several intercooler pumps individually and running two or three of them in series. (For Shawn: I think you should run your new pump in series after your existing pump)

http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/gonn...pumps-in-series-to-maximize-cooling-motorama/

Lingenfelter also ran some tests comparing different pumps that was also enlightening.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforumfiles/showthread.php?2029-Intercooler-pump-flow-testing-results

Given the info on the two links and the tests that I have done to improve my IAT/IAT2 temps, I don't know if anyone here is desperate enough to drop $550 for the Stewart-EMP intercooler pump reprogrammed for higher pump output. I wish I had known putting two pumps in series was an acceptable option cause there was absolutely nothing wrong with my Bosch pump that I upgraded to the Meziere 20GPM pump. Given that I now have the Super Chiller this is a mute point for me, but I wanted to share this data with the forum.

The only info I can't seem to find is the pressure data for our motors. I assume given the fittings we use its somewhere between 1-4PSI with the Bosch pump and 1-6PSI with the Meziere and Jabsco pumps. My only tests were with the car idling between Dyno runs and the Meziere pump was twice as efficient as the Bosch one which is consistent with the LPE graph at low pressure.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am using the Jabsco and my flow is better than stock and my temps show it. I pulled my fill cap and watched the flow with both pumps and the stock pump flowed what looked like a stream the size of a ball point pen. With the Jabsco the flow was like a sharpe. Mine my not be the best flow out there but it works for me and was only $150 at the time.

#4 ·
I see the same kinda difference, but as in my first post that's at almost no pressure (Idle). Does the pressure build with engine RPMs? Do you think it would be even better with both pumps in series? Is there room for both pumps?

#5 ·
I don't like that they changed the tube diameter based on each pump. How can you compare the flow rate of two pumps with one flowing through a .75" hose and another through a 1.5" or 2" hose. Who really runs 1.5 or 2" hose on their cars? I understand they were measuring 'gpm', but without knowing their test setup, I'm not sure how much I trust it. Are they simply measuring the volume that flows into a bucket after their restriction, and calculating that vs time? Are they measuring 'velocity' with respect to the area?

They mentioned the 'restriction valve' so I assume they measure 'pressure' before and after the restriction valve to calculate flow, but I'm not exactly sure.

#6 ·
ill just install mine in series and see what happens, since I do have it sitting on my work bench. lol. waiting for the heat xchanger as soon as I find someone with a damnd paypal account down here. I don't like credit and wont get a card to use paypal, slight hiccup when ordering stuff from timmyc

#10 ·
I am also surprised that they didn't test the Jabsco since it is the most popular upgrade in pumps.

Giz- I couldn't leave the cap off after idle as the flow was too much and wanted to surge. We have some room to put another one in series but honestly my set up works much better than stock and even in the desert my temps are under control so I'm done there. I am not going to do much more as I am waiting on the V3 CTS-V.

#12 ·
why did you buy a heat xchanger AND intercooler? havent heard of anyone else running both. only a heat xchanger.
PGA you running this exact setup? i was thinking about buying the timmyc heat xchanger, but if there is an intercooler option available would prolly do that instead.

#15 ·
why did you buy a heat xchanger AND intercooler? havent heard of anyone else running both. only a heat xchanger.
PGA you running this exact setup?
I wanted better capacity and heat removal so I have two Heat Exchangers. One to replace the stock and one front mount exchanger. The "Intercooler" is the Luminova cores in the lid and man I sure wish we could replace them with something more efficient.

#17 · (Edited)
Cruise:
IAT: 1-4* above ambient
IAT2: 20-30* above ambient

WOT:
IAT: 0-2* Above ambient
IAT2: 20-30* Above IAT

Stop and Go traffic:
FORGET IT!! Need a fan on the heat exchanger to move the air.

The biggest difference from stock is the cool down time. I can get back to normal operating temps within a minute. Remember it gets pretty hot in the desert too! Most I have ever seen in a WOT run is 147*, 13psi boos, and ambient was over 100*. Tim's is a very good set up too. If you want to keep your money in the community and for ease of installation get Tim's. What I put in was total custom and took time and skill to install.

Either way I don't have a dog in this fight!!

#18 ·
never doubted tims quality or ease of install. im looking more for the best options available and want to see what others have done/end results. i wasted enough money before and wont do it again with trail and error stuff. i know what im doing with mine, at least to finish this year out. but want to get it all together then buy it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.