Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Soft Trunk Release Button Not Working / 2006 STS

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Hope you're all having a great weekend thus far.

I recently got rear-ended by someone and had to get my bumper replaced at an auto body shop. Everything was done beautifully and looks great, only problem is, on a whim I started checking electrical stuff, since I know it is commonplace for them to have to disconnect stuff to maneuver around. Anyway, you know how as long as you have the FOB in your pocket, it will allow you to press that soft button above the license plate to open the trunk? Well that's always worked like a charm and even after the accident it worked fine, however now that I picked up the car from the shop, it will not work.

It works fine if I actually press the trunk release on the FOB, so i know the latch isn't having issues.

Any idea what might have gotten unplugged / reset? Is it something I could quickly fix or is it going to require taking off parts to reconnect? As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

#2 ·
I would recommend that you remove the liner on the inside of the trunk lid and make sure everything is connected. It is possible this is coincidental but worth checking. These soft, rubber encased switches have been known to periodically fail. Was there any damage to the trunk lid that may have necessitated its removal?

#4 ·
It's just as likely that the receiver was damaged due to the collision.

A dealer once had to replace mine. The service writer claimed it was above the top trunk liner. Members have posted that it's behind the bumper. I don't know for sure. When I picked up my car after that repair, I thougt I saw a diagram on how to remove the rear bumper.

Anyone know for sure?

#5 ·
The receiver is under the rear shelf, the antenna is mounted to a bracket attached to the rear bumper cover. I'd agree it is more likely the antenna/connection than the switch. The switch is easier to check, but a good idea to take it back to the shop that did the work.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I will talk to the shop tomorrow and see if they still have the bumper that was removed laying around, it probably still has that bracket attached to it then and they simply forgot to attach it to the new one. Hopefully its a quick fix and wont require the car being left there for a few hours all over again. :(

#7 ·
They would not have been able to attach the new one without the bracket the antenna attaches to. If it was new, they may have forgot to transfer the antenna. If they were able to re-use it, they likely forgot to plug it in. Either way, the bumper cover pretty much has to come off to access the area necessary. It's not too involved, but it will be an hour for sure if everything goes well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.