Cadillac Owners Forum banner

climate control module interchangeablility?

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Discobee 
#1 ·
I need to replace my climate dash module but I want to get the right one.are they like the radio and only for certain year or will they all work from my gen deville?

#3 ·
Well what happened is my mom bought me this really cool looking air freshener a while ago and I put it on the vent but never opened it because I didn't want to poison that wonderful new car sent that my car still has. Then the other day while I was at the carwash I realized and hated the cluttered look it gave to the dash so I opened it to use it up. yesterday will I was at school all of the oil leaked out into the climate module and destroyed the plastic. No more air freshener in ANY of my cars EVER! I'll post a pic later of what it did.

#5 ·
I finally got a pic for you guys. I did some digging and found that the part number on mine is available but also has a replacement number that is $50 cheaper however that is still $400 if I wanted to get it from GM. I went to u pull r parts yesterday but they didn't have a Deville even though their computer says they do. I fount another yard close by that has one for $35 so I will try them. I figure I can get a cheap one with worn buttons and swap them as long as its not the auto button. The other good thing is now I don't have to bother replacing that bad bulb in mine. View attachment 106114

#8 ·
Well I got a new moduke from a 2000 deville. It did have adifferent part number so I disassembled them to see what the difference was. The only thing I found was that the printed circuit board is made by a different manufacturer. There is also another new part number after my 02 and I'm sure that there isn't a difference in those either. I did swap the electronics though as I had mine updated and didnt feel like getting a tech 2 and do it again.

#9 ·
---------------------------------
as you found out - GM will use different part numbers for the same part -
this is for their own tracking of different venders/suppliers -

you wouldn't have needed a TECHII for the climate control -
but that's OK -

glad you found the part and got it swapped out -

where in MN are you?

#10 ·
I know I don't need the tech for the module but there was an update for their algorithms to help maintain the temp faster. I didn't know about it until I saw the tsb and did the update and what a change it made.

I'm in the small town of Alexandra. I was all over the cities on Monday and saw some very nice Cadillacs there. I had made a stop at u pull r parts but sadly they pulled the last deville that morning.

I had to drive to Morris to get the module and did about 75 miles of driving almost all of it was hwy but some stops and all up hill coming back and I was avg 32.1 mpg. Couldn't be any happier about that.

#11 ·
-----------------------
I'm in the small town of Alexandra
sure - I know where that is -
I about 18 miles due North of Minneapolis -

I had made a stop at u pull r parts
but sadly they pulled the last deville that morning

if you went to the EAST BETHEL yard - I'm about 20 minutes from there -
they RARELY put the 2000+ Cadillacs out in the self-serve yards -
unless they are really smashed up - or nothing good left on them -

they have "no-access" yards for the higher-priced - or better cars -
they remove the parts and sell them to you - for a LOT more money -

here is their website - it does list the cars they have in the self-serve yards -
http://www.upullrparts.com/inventory

#12 ·
In my 2003 DHS, the backlit bulb for the defrost, rear defrost and Mode aren't lighting up, plus the down arrow button is scuffed. If I swap out for a new climate control module, I read somewhere in the forum that I'll need to take it down to the dealer to do a VIN re-programming, is that correct? How easy/difficult is it to remove & replace the module?

#15 ·
Very easy to replace. Depending on how long your figures are you may not even need any tools. Just pry the trip pecie from around the radio and then pull it straight out from the top by the climate module. To get the module there are just 4 clips that get pushed in, 2 on each side of the module. They all function the same across all years however there were circuit board upgrades throughout the years but anything 02+ is best. If you get one from an earlier year you can use it or do what I did and just swap the face and buttons.

#18 ·
Soooo.....new problem arises from the climate control module swap out. Now the driver's side 2 vents are blowing only hot air. And the passenger side 2 vents blows cold air regardless of whether the temp is set all the way hot, all the cold, or even at "PASS OFF". This did not happen with the old module....which of course, I threw away last week.

There is only 1 current code - IPM B0408

And researching that code it looks like the air mix actuator is the issue. But could it be that the module I replaced (which was a used one) is bad and causing the actuator to work improperly?

#19 ·
=====================
There is only 1 current code - IPM B0408
And researching that code it looks like the air mix actuator is the issue

ALWAYS include the code definitions -
and don't try to translate them -

B0408 - Temperature Control #1 (Main/Front) Circuit Malfunction

this points to a faulty controller - NOT an actuator problem -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.