Cadillac Owners Forum banner

05 STS Remote start not working??

54K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  curtc 
#1 ·
Trying to get remote start to work on my 05 sts the remote has a 1 on the back I know some said if its 3/4 it won't work. I hit lock twice and hold the start button on remote and orange front lights flash but no startup. Any help much appreciated. Also how can I make it beep when I lock the doors twice I like that feature

#3 ·
:yeah: the presence of the CEL disables it.

Do you have NAV?

The remote start feature has to be enabled for each fob as well, I know how to do it with NAV, not sure if you don't have it.

Have you tried fob #2 by chance?

#4 ·
The designation of fobs as being #1 or #2 has nothing to do with the number on the fob. It refers to the order in which they were programmed. All fobs are the same electronically. Only the programming makes one fob different from another. If the fob was programmed 3rd or 4th in order it will not operate the remote start and the memory functions cannot be saved. Read your manual.

#45 ·
Soo the other day I used my remote start everything worked fine somehow the button in the glove box got turned on for the valet which was causing me not to be able to fill up my gas tank it kept clicking and kept turning off the Overflow on the gas pump and I wasn't sure at the time what was causing the issue I can also cause you're remote start function to disable not only that but my trunk wasn't able to open either the only way I'd be able to get my trunk open as if I went through the little middle section in the back seat and pull the release to get my trunk open how is going to relearn my fobs because my battery died in one fob I replaced the battery and now I'm unable to use my remote start my trunk is locked I can't seem to get it out of valet mode when I try to reel in the key at saying 3 already known how can I potentially erase the existing fobs that way it's we learned as five number one or number two that way I can use my remote start thanks for any information I really appreciate it

#5 ·
The procedure you described was wrong. I'll assume you have the fob matched correctly as 1 or 2 and have the option turned on (even if you're w/o Nav).

Press Lock. The lights should flash.
Press & hold Start for a second. The car will start and parking lights will come on.

If you have had any recent waning lights, remote start may be disabled.

----------

If you have Nav, set the driver greetings. If you don't see them as you start the car, your fob isn't matched as 1 or 2.

#9 ·
The procedure you described was wrong. I'll assume you have the fob matched correctly as 1 or 2 and have the option turned on (even if you're w/o Nav).

Press Lock. The lights should flash.
Press & hold Start for a second. The car will start and parking lights will come on.

If you have had any recent waning lights, remote start may be disabled.

----------

If you have Nav, set the driver greetings. If you don't see them as you start the car, your fob isn't matched as 1 or 2.
On my '06 I push the lock button once and then the start button for a count of at least four to get it to remote start. If I push the start button for just a second or so after pushing the lock nothing happens and the car doesn't start.

#6 ·
No NAV and no CEL I will look for my other remote and report back if I have any luck

----------

No NAV and no cel. Tried with my second remote with no luck either. After I hold the start button the parking lights flash and that's it not startup

----------

How would I know if I have remote start on or not without NAV ??

#7 ·
not sure of the difference, but on my 06 STS without NAV. You must go to setup menu thru the radio. You should have 4 function keys (buttons) around radio display. One should say setup. click that, then I believe driver preference. There will be a list of things you can enable and disable on the car, including Remote Start. If you don't don't have the setup key around radio display, then someone has changed the home keys and that, I don't know how to adjust., other than disconecting battery and hoping it defaults back to factory settings.

#13 ·
My 06 shuts off with another push of the start button if started remotely.

Also, mine seems to have a timer of approx. 10 or 12 minutes. Is that normal?

#21 ·
Yup, it will let you remote start twice in a row, however when you remote start for the second time, it resets the timer for 10 minutes. If it only ran a short time during the first remote start cycle, you lose whatever time remained in the first 10 minute cycle. If you want a full 20 minutes of run time, you need to wait until the timer runs out from the first remote start, then restart again.

----------

As for my 2008, I only push the lock button once (watch for the lights to flash) and within 5 seconds, press and hold the remote start until the engine starts. I only need to hold the remote start button again (until the engine stops) to terminate the cycle.

#24 ·
Ok so I haven't started the car in about 3 days and I go to use the remote start to let the car run.. Same issue lights flash no start up but when I get in it starts fine with push button. Is the battery too weak to remote start it after a few days? Do I need a new battery? I believe it is original battery and the car is an 05 so may be time for a new one. If so any suggestions on battery

#25 ·
Doubt it's a battery issue, if the lights flashed when you locked it and flashed when you held the remote start button the car got the signal...But, any CR2032 3v battery will do. Energizer has always had a special place in my heart when it comes to batteries :)

Thanks for the reminder though, I've been needing to get a replacement battery for my fob, the range is slowly inching closer to the car....off to the hardware store!

#26 ·
curtc said:
Doubt it's a battery issue, if the lights flashed when you locked it and flashed when you held the remote start button the car got the signal...But, any CR2032 3v battery will do. Energizer has always had a special place in my heart when it comes to batteries :)

Thanks for the reminder though, I've been needing to get a replacement battery for my fob, the range is slowly inching closer to the car....off to the hardware store!
I actually meant the car battery being the original and maybe no having enough juice to remote start it but I don't see how remote start would need more power than a regular start. Idk I'm confused why it worked for 2 days than after 3 days of sitting back to kaput.

#29 ·
I know my remote start will not work sometimes on the first attempt on a cold start, just get a click from the starter...That's clearly battery related and will be addressed soon. The starter is new so I know that isn't the issue.

If the car doesn't attempt to start at all and just flashes the lights it's disabled for some reason, that's the same behavior you get if you try 3 times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.