Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2011 CTS Double din retro fit

50K views 116 replies 46 participants last post by  robcloud1962 
#1 · (Edited)
Electronics Vehicle Multimedia Technology Car
View attachment 103192 View attachment 103193 I have searched and searched and cant seem to find any info on aftermarket stereos or in dash dvd headunit installs, so after countless hours of searching, visiting many local shops, and coming up empty handed with nothing but frustration to show for it, I came to realize the only way to get a aftermarket headunit installed is to retro fit it myself. Seeing as theres no info on this kind of a job, I decided to make this my very first post ever. open to all criticism, advice, and ideas.
I started by finding a cheap used center stack online. I took it apart and removed the two stereo controll knobs along with the analog clock. used a 3" cut off wheel to cut out area to make room for a double din pioneer HU.

----------

I will post pics as soon as i figure out how to.. any info on how to post pics from a galaxy s3?

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I seen the prodigy one kit, and even considered going this rout for a second, than I rememberd that it would run me a couple thousand clams and came to my senses. when its all said and done this method should allow me and anybody else who is willing to do a little work, to fit most double din or single din head units. I considered adding a 7" flip out where the factory radio display sits, but opted for the double din instead.

#9 · (Edited)
just a quick mock up of how I might fiberglass the outer frame to the center stack bezel. I really want to try to retain the center body line that runs down the middle of the CTS. I thought about just gluing a piece of craft stick right in the center of where the head unit will sit, and than just glassing around it.. Any suggestions? Green Technology Electronic device
View attachment 103303 View attachment 103304

#10 · (Edited)
By the way I realize I didnt really give to much background on this whole project upfront. This is my first time posting anything on any forum, and I wasnt really to sure where to start. I purchased the car on Dec.31 2012, so I've only had it a little over a month. when I was on the test drive the sales person started explaining the stereo, so I told him I was planning on replacing it, and he replied that it was not possible, due to everything in the center stack being pretty much one unit. So after a little research online, it became apparent that I was going to be stuck with the factory stereo. So after thinking on this matter for a couple of weeks i decided to remove the dash, to see for myself what the road block was. In doing so I discovered all the empty space that was behind the stereo display, and anolog clock, a perfect spot to mount a double din HU, with out having to remove the oem stereo or A/C. So to answer the question that some of you may have, after unpluging the volume and tuning knobs along with the analog clock from my spare center stack, wich by the way came out of a Navigation equipped CTS, I purchased it with out the display. So after plugging it up to my harness to my surprise the A/C the Traction, and Hazard all still functioned 100% I had a CD in the stereo so I pushed the eject button and the stereo even started up with out having to get it programed, I was still able to control the volume and tuning with the steering wheel audio controls. So with everything still being functional with out the upper portion of the center stack I dont see why this shouldnt work. my main concern now is figuring out how I'm going to tie in the double din with the factory system.

#13 ·
I got a little work done today, before the super bowl started. I started on the mounting bracket, wich will be bolted in to the oem stereo mounting location. After the mounting bracket is complete than I will be able to secure the HU, and be able to fiber glass the front frame to the center stack bezel Vehicle Car Family car

#15 ·
Thanks M5eater, I know its just a start but hopefully this can open the door to help anybody else who wants, or wanted to Install an aftermarket Headunit in their CTS. I finished welding up the mounting bracket today, and got the HU bolted into place. tomorrow I should be able to get started on fiberglassing the bezel around the headunit. Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Family car Compact car

#21 ·
Thanks Jeffc84, Pluto3, and Jagillac. I have a few days worth of body work ahead of me, than I'm hoping to get her into a shop this weekend to get everything wired up. I've installed basic setups and ran amps in my cars before, but Im not really sure on how to install the aftermarket HU with out compromising the A/C traction control and hazards. Has anyone ever ran two headunits in the same car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.