Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I'm Thinking about buying a 3/4 ton 1989 suburban

9K views 107 replies 20 participants last post by  I~LUV~Caddys8792 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new beater rig. I sold the Dodge a few weeks ago to a guy that offered me more than it was worth to me. I decided that I was going to buy a cheap truck to haul dogs and tow trailers with. I have been on the look out and I found this 89 4x2 suburban. It is really clean and the best vehicle in this price range. Any words of advice on what to look for and any thoughts. It has a 454 TBI and a TH400. It shifts and drives great. almost no rust and a real clean interior. I am sure it gets horrible gas mileage and yada, but I doubt I would put more than 2000 miles a year on it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Full-size car

See less See more
#2 ·
Had one just like it in 3/4 ton 4X4. The only things I didn't like about it were the ride was terrible (3/4 ton 4X4!:annoyed:), the overall size (parking and traffic), and the gas mileage.

As a second or third car, or plaything I think I would have loved it, and even more so in 1/2 ton. Loved the Silverado interior, seat was comfy, and once I got a bench seat console with armrest even better. While I would want 4X4, upkeep and ride would be better without.

That looks like a real nice clean one and the bargain price is probably due to the gas. If not an issue for you, it would appear to be a match made in heaven!:cloud9:

#4 ·
A buddy of mine bought a 1990 with tbi 350. It still looks good and runs strong, despite having 190k miles. It has tons of torque for hauling stuff.
I had an 87 silverado, and I will say the silverado interior was pretty nice for an 80s truck. it was much like yours but navy blue/ black with vinyl seat and brushed faux metal look instead of woodgrain. it was pretty clapped out at 115k (seems the body/ interior were just left to fall apart as it was a farm truck), but the motor ran great.

#5 ·
A buddy of mine bought a 1990 with tbi 350. It still looks good and runs strong, despite having 190k miles. It has tons of torque for hauling stuff.
I had an 87 silverado, and I will say the silverado interior was pretty nice for an 80s truck. it was much like yours but navy blue/ black with vinyl seat and brushed faux metal look instead of woodgrain. it was pretty clapped out at 115k (seems the body/ interior were just left to fall apart as it was a farm truck), but the motor runs great.
Fixed :D

#6 ·
Start by looking for a gas station.

Reactions: CadillacLuke24
#11 ·
Nowhere now, but in the spring I run my dogs in field competitions (Hunting dogs) so it would be nice to have a truck and what not.

----------

The only thing I am on the fence about is the tailgate. seems like a huge PITA to have to roll down the window everytime I need to get into the back. I wish it had the cargo doors.

#8 ·
Oh hell yeah! 454, top line Silverado trim and in good condition! Get it now!

#9 ·
I have a '93 C1500 'burb. Like you, I only put 1K or so miles on it a year. I use it to haul my sailboat in and out of the lake every year. I did have to drive it down to San Antonio a year ago. Very stable, comfortable and secure ride. The '89 should be a nice addition if the price is right.

#10 ·
My God that is one handsome truck.

#12 ·
Considering the age, condition and rarity of these Suburbans, I'd say that's a pretty minor issue.

#18 ·
That's a steal for $900 if it runs good.

----------

Those whitewall tires and rally wheel treatment on that hearse remind me of my grandpa's old 1985ish Silverado, his was a long bed, 2 tone grey with a camper top, EXACT same wheel/tire combo. You don't see that wheel/tire combination anymore, even though it is period correct, most guys run white letter tires if they keep the stock rally wheels.

#24 ·
You don't buy a big engined truckwagon because they are gas mizers, you buy it to haul your dogs someplace in a blizzard or when the Spring thaw makes getting them there impossible by other means. It's real abilities will only come into use a few times a year, kind of like owning a power boat in todays world!

#25 ·
MPG RANT AHEAD.

Anyone who actually shows concern for fuel economy and still claims to be an automotive enthusiast deserves to be taken outside and shot in the head. Simple as that. This is true for whatever they are driving, because realistically who the **** cares what type of mileage you get? You drive a car from point A to point B. Did it make it there? Yes? Then who cares if it used one gallon or thirty.

I swear, this is one of the things that disgusts me most about my generation. I would fire one of my employees or disown a family member, striking them from my will, if they bought a car and used it's supposed "fuel economy" to even slightly weigh in on the purchase.

Seriously, if at 18 years old making only around $25k a year, I could drive around, however many miles and make unnecessary trips, just because I am bored and need something to do, wasting five or six gallons of fuel in the process, all at 7 mpg (or less) on high test...there is no reason the rest of the world can't do the same. Thank god people in the fifties weren't so concerned with fuel economy, or "The Golden Age of the American Automobile" would never have even happened.

#27 · (Edited)
Thank god people in the fifties weren't so concerned with fuel economy, or "The Golden Age of the American Automobile" would never have even happened.
lol? The golden age was the result of economic expansion and increased competition, not our fuel consumption habits. Anyway, beyond that discussion, fuel economy is part of a bigger equation - overall efficiency. Consumers have considered efficiency (power vs economy) as an important characteristic since the automobile's debut. Likewise, efficiency has always been a concern to the manufacturer, hence it's steady increase throughout the decades(including the golden age and muscle car area). Proof is in the decades of old related advertisements. Efficiency, like flashy styling, sells - and always has. It's been a source of pride and bragging rights to both your average Joe and enthusiasts alike. High efficiency (hence, good fuel economy) symbolizes a well designed vehicle, and always is/was desirable. I know it smells great to you, but get you head out of your @$$.

#26 ·
Actually in the 1950's there was an annual gas mileage contest among aut makers called "The Mobil Economy Run." They'd run the cars around the moutains and deserts and then publish a winner in each class. If remember correctly it was usually won by some second tier company like Studebaker or Hudson (rmember the "Jet") or Kaiser ((the "Henry J").

I don't remember anyone in my family having anything more than a passing interest in the results .... they just kept buying Packards and Olds!

#30 ·
Wow great deal on that truck, daily driver would drive you broke in a couple months.

And back the wagon up Dullahan... I am a HUGE auto enthusiast, probably the biggest I know, and I DO figure gas mileage into vehicle purchase. You need a reality check that will come with age I hope. I have vehicles that range from 28 mpg down to 8-10 mpg if I'm lucky.
It is hard to ignore simple economics and not everyone may have the extra cash you do, I think it is prudent when people ask what MPG something gets. It shouldn't be the largest factor in car purchase but should be considered. Broad flaming of people and telling us we should be shot in the head in NOT cool, perhaps you should think before you type.

#31 ·
I like having a fuel efficent car for daily driving. It's saving money, simple as that, especially when I only paid $1100 for it.

Now, the toy car for the enthusiast in me does not need to be fuel efficent, but it still averages 18-19 around town. :D

When I worked at Southview Chevrolet from 2006-08, we took in a '95 Sierra K2500 with the 454 on trade and I took it home one nght. Holy God for torque! 385lb ft at like 2500 rpm.... It made short work of the rear tires and felt like it could change the rotation of the earth at will.

I love those old TBI GM V8's....from the way the starter sounds, to the immense low end torque, the extreme simplicity and reliability and the unique exhaust sound. Those old TBI's aren't as powerful as the later Vortec's, but they're cooler to me.

#32 ·
my sister had a new one. light blue metallic with silver. man was it big. If I recall it the the old style computer in where you could take a paper clip and hot wire term 1 and term 2 or A,B, together. It makes the check engine light blink out the codes. Cant remember if they stored codes. I think the TBI is great to have minus the direct injection its almost bulletproof as well as the tranny. With all the room you might get a compression check. Then of course the coolant will clue you on how well it was maintained. good luck! looks real nice.

#34 ·
Yeah the computer stores trouble codes just like any modern computer. In the service manual for my 91 Caddy(350 TBI) it actually had a couple of pages on how to read codes without a scanner, it even told you to use a bent paper clip and insert it into two different pins on the diagnostic port. I think its crap that you have to have a scan tool on newer OBDII cars to read the codes, they should all be like late model Cadillacs where you can enter diagonstic mode by pushing a button on the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.