Cadillac Owners Forum banner

cooling problem again

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnJJO 
#1 · (Edited)
i read allot of post here but never found one that can help my problem! :(
just replace radiator! got one from junk yard, mine was creaked year ago due to overheat but was solved by jb welder glue but after year start to fail. after i replace radiator i used temperature switches that was already on the radiator when i got it from junk yard, now fan between radiator and engine dont work (i tested fan it self, it work!!!!). that could cost by upper switch that next to the battery, i will try to replace it with my old one tomorrow, to see whats gonna happened!
but the biggest problem is in auxiliary water pump the one that next to the battery, it just dont work, i never notice if it was working before i replaced radiator or not. pump work it self when putting
12v on it, but from wire it self no power coming to the pump. WHY????
on passenger side pump working all the time (is it suppose to be like that ????) upper temperature switch related to that pump and please tell me how that crazy cooling system work step by step. like what start or stop to work in the order and with what temperature.
Thank you

#2 ·
The operation of the cooling system, various fans and all the switches is too complicated to post here in text. Get yourself a shop manual and there are pages and pages that describe how it works.

If you are fixing a leak in the radiator and replace the radiator with a used junk yard one with the switches already on it, you can introduce a problem that you didn't have before. Just replace one component at a time. A new generic radiator for my Catera only cost me $140 shipping included.

Explain what is the problem your car is having now. Is it overheating? Voltage is only supplied to various components when it is necessary.

If the auxilliary pump is not coming on when it is supposed to, it could be fuse #10 under the dash.

#4 ·
thanks for respond but problem is the money i already spend on this CRAPTERA over 3500 and got car for 4900 with 126k on it. im still planing to spend more and get another new coil for cylinder 1.3.5, get new front arms and struts (due to crazy steering wheel shaking) also my muffler makes noise on cold start + planing to get new catalyst im not even talking about new set of tires that im dreaming to get after i replace front suspension (just keep getting used ones all the time )
but i have all data and for some reason cant find that cooling diagram only like wiring thats it

#3 ·
ok just replaced upper switch with my old one and all fans are working now :)
but auxiliary water pump that next to the battery still dont work ;(
HELP
im going to check all fuses and all so will check on what temperature that switch switching maybe i still need to just get new one

#5 ·
ok i just test my upper switch , its turn all fans "ON" at 206F and shut them of when temperature dropped to 192F. I dont know if its ok!!!!! , but auxiliary water pump that next to the battery still dont work ;( it just no power coming to it !!!!! i check all fuses, puled every single one of them !!!! and they are all GOOD
in owners manual it says, that white relay is for auxiliary water pump when i opened that white relay on car running relay was closed (when car off circuit is open) so i opened circuit with flat thin screw driver but didnt saw NO changes, pump on passenger side still was running, on battery side pump still was not receiving power..........
HELP

#6 ·
ok i just test my upper switch , its turn all fans "ON" at 206F and shut them of when temperature dropped to 192F. I dont know if its ok!!!!! , but auxiliary water pump that next to the battery still dont work ;( it just no power coming to it !!!!! i check all fuses, puled every single one of them !!!! and they are all GOOD
in owners manual it says, that white relay is for auxiliary water pump when i opened that white relay on car running relay was closed (when car off circuit is open) so i opened circuit with flat thin screw driver but didnt saw NO changes, pump on passenger side still was running, on battery side pump still was not receiving power..........
HELP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.