Cadillac Owners Forum banner

3.6 V6 timing chain replacement

32K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  dsteinmann 
#1 ·
Took my 08 CTS in for service today for an emission problem. Besides that another trouble code came up. TIMING CHAIN FAILURE!!!!!! 95,600 miles. Car seems to run better now. Good thing it was found before it took the engine out.

#9 ·
Run full syn oil, not the syn blend and they are lasting well.

We stock the entire upgrade kit and do them regularly.

Usually not much for symptoms before they fail....just get lucky when they jump timing a few teeth and then the cam senors give the error code.

:thumbsup:

#11 ·
The early chains were more prone to stretch (good to here you run full syn) and the replacement "kit" includes all chains, guides, gaskets, etc. and the new design seems to be lasting the duration.

If you had it done at Caddy they used the new redesigned kit w/the tuffer chains. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Why doesn't Cadillac use full synthetic oil?Too expensive I'd rather pay if I knew they actually put it in the car who knows whats in there when they do it unfortunately I can't do it myself due to injuries so I am held hostage by the crappy dealers who still can't fix the rough idle at start up that's how they run when cold so I'm told, they did the timing chain on mine at 16,000 miles.We don't have many dealers in Suffolk County NY that are worth much or are even trusted by me that they are doing the work and not giving it the fresh air treatment camera's are next I'm sick of excuses.No more Cadicraps for me my wifes SRX sounds like the exhaust is going to blow off the car when you step on it and what a slug that thing is can't get out of it's own way.

#14 ·
That car supposedly came from the factory filled with full synthetic Mobil 1. Each time I'm having my oil changed, I talk to the tech at the same time and see what he puts in. Each time, they did use Full synthetic Mobil 1 5w30 for me. Keep my fingers crossed for the timing chain. Car has 43,000 miles so far and did not have to do anything in this respect...

#21 ·
I'm hearing knocking as well at just under 60k but when tech rode in the car with me he said it sounded like engine knocking and suggested different gas. I've only ever ran supreme in it and tried running 3-4 tank fills through from different brands of fuel but same result.

It's gotten worse over the last few months and I find it hard to believe that this type of engine would knock around 1800-2100 rpm and get worse unless something were failing. My '91 Nissan240SX never made any such noise and this is a bit more advanced I'd say...

I could understand if I had put lower octane fuel into the car but I haven't. Have a long road trip coming up next month so I hope they can take care of it by then!

#24 ·
I thought it was 2010 and newer, 2009 and older are prone to the issue. My opinion, and that is all it is, is based on what I have read on this site and has no real world experience.

#28 ·
I am having the same symptoms with my 2008 CTS. It has around 124,000KM. No mods done to the engine just a magnaflow exhaust. I have no Check engine light but i can hear engine noise at low rpm and with the hood open during idle a obvious ticking sound. The engine noise is progressively getting worse and can best describe it as spluttering. I tried to change fuel types to see if it would go away but that didn't do anything.

I am also getting a lot more carbon build up in the exhaust pipes. I am taking the caddy in on Wednesday to get it checked out as my warranty expires end of the month.

#29 ·
Hello folks,
If you have timing chain concerns and want for us to check into this further with your dealership, we're available to you. Please contact us either via private message or email (katie_lucille@gmexpert.com) with more details (including your name and contact information, as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN). Those of you writing from Canada, you can reach GM of Canada at 1-888-446-2000 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).
Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

#45 ·
Sarah,

I saw your note on the Cadillac forum from 10-16-12 about checking the status of the cam chain issue with specific vehicles. I am looking at a 2010 CTS Sportwagon with a 3.6 to purchase and the cam chains certainly concern me. The last eight of the VIN are : A0105528. I would appreciate if you could check the status of this vehicle. I can be reached via email or phone 973-256-6644.

Best Regards,
Dave Burkart

#30 ·
Took the caddy into Leggat in Burlington--- great service! Way better than the GM folks in hamilton at John Bear!!

They are saying everything is fine but asked me to come and show them the noise im hearing at low RPM to be sure. Also for those of you in CANADA according to service rep at Leggat GM, he said the timing chain is covered up until 2017 or 193,000 KM if it decides to fail even after having the recall done.... that is a good piece of mind as my factory warranty is up at the end of the month!!

#31 ·
was at gym today, a mechanic said their was a problem with changing the timing chain, and expensive to work on and a common problem. Yet consumers reports said a good engine as far as reliability all years except the 08. has anyone else needed to replace the belt/chain prior to 100k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.