Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2006 sts tires

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  idkwhothatis123 
#1 · (Edited)
2006 sts tires for after market rims

Now I get this is purely opinion, but based on what you own, what's the best tire size and why. I'm looking for 20's or 22's and I don't want to sacrifice a whole lot of smoothness on the drive. I appreciate the help folks.

#4 ·
Yeah. Open the hood, and look at the top of the strut towers and you will see if there's wires attached to the top of them. Wires = MRC. You may have to remove the plastic beauty panels to see this. Or in the trunk under the spare tire cover look at the RPO list for F55 this is the option code for the MRC.

#7 ·
Lowering an MRC equipped car may cause all sorts of suspension issues, i wouldn't attempt it...Too much $$$ at risk monkeying with MRC.

#12 ·
I guess my next question then is the previosu owner of my car kept the staggered setup on the tires. he even bought the same tires that the oem had. will going to all one size affect the smoothness of my ride at all? i'd like to be able to rotate my damn tires and not buy new ones so often. If so, has anyone found a good size for all four?

#16 ·
hey i have 22s on my 05 sts with mrc and i dont find it to bad of course on the tar and chip type of roads that suck balls arnt the greatest but 20s are probably the same way. i find if you buy 20s you have to lower it i think the wheel gap looks rediculas. Now i have 245/35zr22 and i can do lock to lock for turning no rubs and i can load the car up to go to the cottage and not worry. people state you can run 255/35 but im not positive on that. dont listen to what people say about horible alignment once lowered if you find yourself a good mechanic to do the alignment you will never notice tire wear problems! friends of mine drive slamed cars and have no issues with a proper setup. im into baggin vehicles so i always get a little bit of camber wear ;)

#22 ·
You will want to keep close to the same circumfrance (or diameter) as possible. Tire sizes are quoted as: <width in millimeters>/<sidewall height as a percentage of treadwidth>R(adial design)<wheel diameter in inches>. A 235/50R17 has treadwidth of 235mm and sidewall height of 117.5mm. Your back wheels are 1/2 inch wider than your front wheels, which most people consider close enough.

As noted earlier, all else equal, more sidewal provides a softer ride. Tire rack also rates the other factors, tire stiffness, soft or hard compounds, etc. In general a harder tire wears longer but may not provide as much traction, especially in adverse conditions.

Here's a tool to play with different tire sizes:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.