Cadillac Owners Forum banner

19" CTS-V Wheels on a CTS AWD Coupe... HELP!!!!

51K views 116 replies 25 participants last post by  MARTINO442 
#1 ·
This coming week i should have the cts coupe AWD. saw it with mesh grill at dealer ship and v serie rims.. looked crazy byt they want $6995 for package i can get mesh grill for 600.. any where i can get the wheels? replica or for a great price?

#2 ·
Not enough people realize when buying a vehicle from a dealer with non-stock wheels, is you are not just giving up the price of the over-priced custom wheels, you are also giving up your stock wheels. I went to Bob at The House of Wheels and he hooked my C6 up with new Z06-styled spyder wheels in my C6 widths. His price was great and might be a good source for what you are after.

#9 ·
OK, I need some awd experts or some math enthusiasts.
As the title says, I've got a 2012 AWD Coupe with the 18" base wheels. I've got a chance to pick up a set of tires for 1/2 off and the wheels are a pretty solid deal as well. I'm concerned about maintaining the proper sizes on the tires, so any suggestions are appreciated.
Current
Diam
26.5" 235/50/18 Revs per mile 762
27.4" 265/45/18 Revs per mile 760

Proposed - CTS-V Correct size

27.0" 255/40/19 Revs per mile 772
26.9" 285/35/19 Revs per mile 775

Factory Upgrade - This is the sizing for the factory 19" wheel upgrade. I'm concerned it will be too stretched on the V wheels.

27.7" 245/45/19 Revs per mile 753
27.7" 275/40/19 Revs per mile 753

Discuss.

Thanks.

#10 ·
Re: CTS-V Wheels on 2012 AWD Coupe - Correct tire sizes?

I mounted the factory upgrade sizes on V wheels for my 2011 coupe.I first checked on recommended wheel sizes by Continental, the tire manufacturer,and found that the 9 and 10 inch widths of the wheels were permissible for these tire sizes.I'm happy with the results.I mounted winter tires on the original wheels.

#11 ·

I mounted the factory upgrade sizes on V wheels for my 2011 coupe.I first checked on recommended wheel sizes by Continental, the tire manufacturer,and found that the 9 and 10 inch widths of the wheels were permissible for these tire sizes.I'm happy with the results.I mounted winter tires on the original wheels.
Is your coupe AWD? If so, did you use the stock V sizes?
27.0" 255/40/19 Revs per mile 772
26.9" 285/35/19 Revs per mile 775

I spoke to one of the engineers who worked on the awd system today and he informed me that you don't want to alter the bias of revs per mile. That means the stock setup has the fronts spinning 2 more times per mile than the rears. By going with the stock CTS-V combo, you would be transferring the bias to the rear wheels, which is not good for the transfer case or NVH. I've been trying every tire combo I can come up with and none of them will maintain the right bias and not look beyond stretched.

#12 ·

My coupe is not AWD.The tires that I mounted on 19x9,19x10 V wheels were 245/45x19 and 275/40x19 that came on my optional 19 inch wheels.I thought that your concern was tire fitment on the wider V wheels.My original wheels were 8.5 and 9.5 inch wide.Is the 19 inch wheel option offered for the AWD coupe,if so than I think this tire size would be okay.

#13 ·

hey T, I spoke with my dealer a few months back about V coupe wheels on my '11 AWD coupe and he only informed me about possible stabilitrak and traction control issues but not transfer case! I will speak with him again and see what he says about the front bias and possible damage to components. (I am still riding with my stock 18's)

#14 ·

Just FYI, I just bought a 2011 CTS Coupe AWD and it came with factory 19" wheels. I'm the second owner of this car, but I'd be surprised if the original owner (who only put 15K miles on it) would have bought 19" replacement factory wheels and new tires for it in the first year, before trading it back in. So my assumption is that yes, Cadillac did offer a 19" wheel option for the AWD CTS Coupe.

Incidentally, this one has Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on it (front in 245/45-ZR19 size and rear in 275/40-ZR19 size).

#16 ·

Just FYI, I just bought a 2011 CTS Coupe AWD and it came with factory 19" wheels. I'm the second owner of this car, but I'd be surprised if the original owner (who only put 15K miles on it) would have bought 19" replacement factory wheels and new tires for it in the first year, before trading it back in. So my assumption is that yes, Cadillac did offer a 19" wheel option for the AWD CTS Coupe.

Incidentally, this one has Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on it (front in 245/45-ZR19 size and rear in 275/40-ZR19 size).
Yep, there's a 19" optional wheel and tire combo, but it's like $3K and it's not available on the base AWD Coupe. It does alter the revs per mile, but it ends up being a perfect split as opposed to the front bias on the base 18" wheels.

#15 ·

king, so if I understand then you're saying that the 19" wheel/tire package was installed at the factory without the stock front/rear revs per mile tire bias being maintained... So I assume if Cadillac dealers are doing this from the factory then it is not that big of a deal?? I guess as long as you maintain same overall rim/tire diameter front and rear it should be fine and not mess with the AWD system? This is what I did for my winter tires anyways...

Though for summer I was wanting to purchase staggered 20" wheels for my AWD coupe and have heard different opinions on this so far...

#17 ·

I spoke with my dealer and another source and after compiling all the collected data I would conclude that the problem lies with the overall circumference difference affecting the AWD system in the coupe more than the center differential/clutch sytem being used more with V wheels on the awd coupe and its change to rear bias. My dealer told me how an awd sedan was brought in after suffering handling issues, and they concluded it was because of tread wear in the front tires only causing an awd system fault. As for me Im out of the "V" rim game for my awd coupe, because sacrificing handling is not an option for me. Anyway continuation of comments and experimenters are very appreciated!!
Drive safe.

#19 ·

I spoke with my dealer and another source and after compiling all the collected data I would conclude that the problem lies with the overall circumference difference affecting the AWD system in the coupe more than the center differential/clutch sytem being used more with V wheels on the awd coupe and its change to rear bias. My dealer told me how an awd sedan was brought in after suffering handling issues, and they concluded it was because of tread wear in the front tires only causing an awd system fault. As for me Im out of the "V" rim game for my awd coupe, because sacrificing handling is not an option for me. Anyway continuation of comments and experimenters are very appreciated!!
Drive safe.
In that case, for someone considering aftermaret wheels on an AWD coupe, would it be best to just stick with same size tires front/rear to not affect the rev/mile bias?

If stock is:
27.3" 235/50/18 Revs per mile 763.3
27.4" 265/45/18 Revs per mile 759.6
(I corrected some of the info based on what I found using a calculator on 1010tires.com)

Then it seems to me like if I went with 20x9 or 20x10 wheels then something like 265/35/20 all around would be good?
It keeps the overall diameter at 27.3" and revs per mile is right at 761.9...

----------

Actually, after playing around with the tire size calculator, I've come up with the following combination:

front: 265/35-20 27.3" diameter, 761.9 revs per mile
rear: 315/30-20 27.4" diameter, 758.0 revs per mile

Not only does this conserve the same diameter as stock, but also alsmost exaclty same bias as stock (stock has fronts turning 3.7 times more per mile whereas this combination they will turn about 4 times more per mile) This is definitely what I would do if I were putting 20" wheels on my AWD coupe... unless there's some other problem I'm not thinking of, like if 315 wide tires rub in the fenders in the back?? I hope not :(

#20 ·

MTL I have faith in you, especially after doing that whole bumper/hood deal. (which might I say looks genuinely awesome!) If you upgrade the rims let us know!!
As for me I drive in NYC a lot, and on our crappy highways so Im skeptical about the upgrade and its implications. Good luck.

Marcus

#22 ·
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Spoke Wheel

So, I've changed my mind on the Vogue wheels and decided to go with the factory look of the CTS-V on my AWD coupe. The only issue is I want to know what the best tire fitment from somebody that has done this...

I have heard a little bit about rubbing but I see people have put 20" on and no run. Maybe it's the 9 & 10" width, not sure.

But I do need to know what's the best tire size and possibly the best tires.

Please help!!!!

#28 ·
I do not believe those tires conserve the same front/rear rev per mile bias that the 18" rims have... Stock AWD's have a 4 revs per mile bias to the front wheels. 245/40/19 and 285/35/19 conserves the AWD bias to the front...

Front 245/40/19
Sidewall: 3.9in
Radius: 13.4in
Diameter: 26.7in
Circumference: 83.9in
Revs/mile: 755

Rear 285/35/19
Sidewall: 3.9in
Radius: 13.4in
Diameter:26.9in
Circumference: 83.9in
Revs/mile: 751

-------------------

Front 245/45/19
Sidewall: 4.3in
Radius: 13.8in
Diameter: 27.7in
Circumference: 87.0in
Revs/mile: 729

Rear 275/40/19
Sidewall: 4.3in
Radius: 13.8in
Diameter:27.7in
Circumference: 86.9in
Revs/mile: 729

#34 ·
I do not believe those tires conserve the same front/rear rev per mile bias that the 18" rims have... Stock AWD's have a 4 revs per mile bias to the front wheels. 245/40/19 and 285/35/19 conserves the AWD bias to the front...

I have seen this bias in the stock set-up mentioned several times, but if the front and rear tires/rims are the same size from the factory (235-55-17 or 245-50-18) then where is the 4 rev per mile difference coming from? If it is somehow built into the transfer case/diff, then wouldn't you want the tires to be the same size just like the OEM?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.