Cadillac Owners Forum banner

anyone have their hood pop open at 120+ MPH?

9K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
Mine did today, the uncle has a private 1mile road to his house, it's good for 'fun runs'. I didn't look down at the speedo when it happened, mostly because I was too busy shitting my pants and remembering what hoods flying open onto the windshield can do to a car.. I estimate I was doing 120 or so. No wind, aprox 35-38 degrees weather.

Hood closes fine, does not require excessive or inadequate pressure to close(at least IMO), latch might have some play that I can see but it might be normal. the latch on the hood is not deformed and aside from paint removal from opening and closing the hood a lot.. nothing out of the ordinary.

The only other thing I can remember is that one semi-windy day nearing this speed I could visually see the hood start to 'wave' and buckle before I started to back down.

I'm setting an appointment tomorrow, but the latch is cable operated, so I've no idea what they could do here except replace a latch that looks like it's working. The latch on the hood is non-serviceable, so that combined with the 'waving' I'm thinking it's a inferior aluminum batch hood..

#3 ·
Definitively will, I'm a little annoyed right now, this is a serious safety concern for obvious reasons and I wasn't even close to the top speed of the car.
My first thought was that the airaid had poped off and impacted the hood forcing it open, but it's secure and doesn't show that it's budged even slightly.

#5 ·
Is the dealer going to replicate the issue? That is going to be some test drive.

Seriously, were you at 120 for a while or did you do a 0-120 and then hood popped open? Several on here are trapping over 120.
I've no idea what they can or will do honestly, and the scary part is any fix is just going to be a 'guess' and what happens if the latch actually fails completely next time?
Right now, I don't feel safe driving the car fast at all.

I had been accelerating for aprox 15(that's really just a guess) seconds when it popped, but nothing for an extended period of time, so it was just a 0-120. I've trapped 119-120 several times as well, and that same night I know for a fact I had been doing 100 just fine getting up to his house.

I may have been going closer to 130 or so, I just don't remember, all I know is I wasn't anywhere close to the top-end and I hadn't been accelerating for very long.

#6 ·
You are very blessed right now my child! That is a very serious issue! I had that happen to me on a '77 Z28 @ 70mph & it smacked back into the windshield & top after the hinges basically snapped back. Freaked me out. I could not imagine that happening at 120. Is it the factory hood?

#10 · (Edited)
no hate here,
It was absolutely closed. I could visually see the difference, heard it pop and when it popped I instantly got the warning message in the DIC. There's a sensor on the latch that can detect when it's open and thus gives you a warning message when it does. I only received the message as it popped.

Welcome btw!

I can't believe the hinges held at that speed, that is incredible! Did the hood bend at all? If your car is basically stock, then I assume no one has fooled with the hood or it's alignment?
Hood is fine as far as I can see, the front fascia has been off once--and put back on exactly as it came off, but the hood has never been off, adjusted, or touched.

The hood didn't fling open, the latch came undone, but it was still being held down by the latch somewhat. When you pop the hood from inside the car and it comes open an inch before you open it fully-- that's what happened. If it had somehow managed to come out from that position I have no doubt I'd be in a hospital or the car would be undriveable right now.

#14 ·
Regardless, you are a lucky soul... Thank god for the safety latch! Had the hood got past that baby at 120, you would definitely be cleaning more than your seat.

Maybe somthing to do with the primary latch or the cable? I've haven't had the front of the car off on mine yet. Is the primary latch or cable in the area where the front facia is?

#19 ·
it's 100% cable operated. The only eletrical part is the sensor that detects when it's open.

The cable mechanism are #'s 10-12 there.

How is your undertray? Remember my V at VIR had serious turbulence at the base of the windshield because my undertray had come loose from lack of pushpins...

I would doubt it would ever cause the hood to unlatch, but...
The windshield tray? It's flush against the windshield last I checked. nothing out of the ordinary. The front diffuser is fine last I checked too.

#21 ·
Undertray underneath the front subframe. Attaches from the chin spoiler and has end pieces that form up into the wheel wells. At 120+ mph speeds, the tray would flap towards the rar of the car and allow air up around the engine and out by the base of the windshield. The hood was flapping at the windshield about .5"

Try moving the hood with your hand that much. You can't. The engine compartment is meant to be sealed. If that is broken, all hell breaks loose...

----------

Once I noticed this, I pitted, got underneath the V and installed pushpins and zipties to seal it back up.

#22 ·
I'll give it another check, the .5 inch of flexing sounds like what happened last time, you have to remove the pushpins to take the front fascia off as you know. I do remeber not having any left-overs when I put them all back in, but maybe some worked their way out or were missing completly when I bought the car.
Thanks!

#27 ·
Could there be an adjustment as to just how much meat the latch gets a hold of? Maybe its just been barely latching all this time and finally gave in to the 120mph stress?

#31 ·
Cannot duplicate.

Can't find anything wrong. We found 1 loose clip on the diffuser, but otherwise compared to the Vagon that was there everything is as tight and in place as it should be.

''When you go hot rodding again-- make sure it's closed and if it happens again (and you don't total the car..) come back to us''

#32 ·
Boy I bet you feel ultra confident now!

#34 ·
I may go back and ask them to replace the hood latch at the very least, or I may not worry about it, if I start doubting myself there's no going back from that and I'll never be able to enjoy the car again.

it's only an aluminum hood right? Can't do but so much... :killer:

What I will do, is carry the go-pro with me next time.

#33 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhgkbSTOMiA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My Stsv with a louvered hood and no under tray at all. The only thing I was worried abought opening was the sun roof hear the wind noise coming from it. The hood was moving a little but not to bad. The sun roof was pulling up and I could feel air coming in around it. That can't be good.

Hope the can figure it out for you.

#36 ·
Reactions: M5eater
#37 ·
Unbelieveable.

I'm going to ask them to replace the hood latch at the least.

Thanks Giz.

Btw I think it's Fiberglas our some kind of composite
it's definitally aluminum, no doubt about it.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/cadillac/vehicles/cts-v/2012.html
General Motors said:
A unique grille that doubles front-end airflow to help enable its high-performance capabilities is one of the V-Series’ distinguishing features, along with an aggressive front fascia and raised center section of the aluminum hood that provides clearance for the supercharger.

#38 ·
Nothing is more maddening than when something goes wrong with tech that is as old as cars. Should NEVER have to worry about a hood flying open.

Hope all is resolved for ya bud. Me, have to book my car in again for the seat creak. It's the rear of the left track. Gave it a big tug after a cruise, and it made the sound. Shouldn't make any sound, much less with that small amount of pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.