Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 74

Thread: Navigation Maps Update?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    13,969

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    satellites aren't cheap - who's going to pay for the navmap satellite(s)?

    it's not like GM can just get NAVTEQ (or whoever) to upload their data to the XM or OnStar satellites to get it beamed down to your car

    yeah, in the most basic sense that's kind of what would have to happen ... but in the real world that just isn't going to happen

    NAVTEQ controls who gets access and how they get access to their map data

    ...

    and on a side note... i'm pretty sure that the diagnostics sent from your car are not sent via satellite ... your car only has a download link from the satellite
    the diagnostics are sent via text message (basically) ... think of amazon kindle's whisper net ... over the same cell connection that you talk to the onstar representatives


  2. #32
    beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    146

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    The navigation equipment/software vendor controls the contract with NAVTEQ. That contract determines how, when, and how often the map data from NAVTEQ is accessed and/or distributed. I still believe that between On-Star and/or the built-in cell phone, the dynamic map download capability could be easily implemented. I don't understand the need for navmap satellite(s)?

  3. #33
    csh1259 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium AWD and 2002 STS
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-MO
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6
    Hello, I recently purchased a 2012 SRX Premium for my wife to drive. I will admit this is the first US brand we have owned in years. That being said my wife loves her vehicle and we are hoping to drive it for a few years. Usually I research a vehicle before buying, in this case I did not since this is what my wife wanted. I do remember asking if the navigation system was DVD based, which is what I am used to, or hard drive. I was informed it was hard drive based. I was driving her car last Saturday and noticed that the road I was traveling was not on the map being displayed. I decided to make my first call to Onstar to see if the maps needed to be updated. I was told that the road I was on should be displayed so they got another rep on the phone. Long story short I was told the dealer needed to update our maps, it was not something I could do. The dealer picked up her car yesterday and returned it last night. We were told that no update was available. The roads that were missing have been completed for 5+ years. Does anyone have an idea what I should do next? Thanks for any help you can offer.

  4. #34
    jjjleblanc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium AWD
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    It would be helpful if they had release notes for the yearly updates. One year there was firmware released on the CD that added some great functionality to the SRX gen1 system. For the money they charge you would think they could give you four quarterly map updates downloadable to a USB drive through a computer so you could manually apply to the SRX. Wifi capability in the future would be nice to synch media to the internal hard drive.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Detroit, USA
    Posts
    12,711

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by csh1259 View Post
    Hello, I recently purchased a 2012 SRX Premium for my wife to drive. I will admit this is the first US brand we have owned in years. That being said my wife loves her vehicle and we are hoping to drive it for a few years. Usually I research a vehicle before buying, in this case I did not since this is what my wife wanted. I do remember asking if the navigation system was DVD based, which is what I am used to, or hard drive. I was informed it was hard drive based. I was driving her car last Saturday and noticed that the road I was traveling was not on the map being displayed. I decided to make my first call to Onstar to see if the maps needed to be updated. I was told that the road I was on should be displayed so they got another rep on the phone. Long story short I was told the dealer needed to update our maps, it was not something I could do. The dealer picked up her car yesterday and returned it last night. We were told that no update was available. The roads that were missing have been completed for 5+ years. Does anyone have an idea what I should do next? Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Hi csh1259,

    The only thing I can think of is if the 2012 SRX vehicle already had the map disc updated. I would like to research this on your behalf. If you private message me with your VIN and dealership name and location I am more than happy to continue our interactions.

    Regards,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

  6. #36
    csh1259 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium AWD and 2002 STS
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-MO
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6
    Laura,

    I just sent my information. Thanks!!
    csh

  7. #37
    davedogcaddy's Avatar
    davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    287

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by allgm View Post
    You can buy a updated disc on E-Bay ect or have the dealer do it. Or wait for the Washington D.C. defualt and get it done under warranty.
    Just FYI, even if they replace the radio (which I've had done as well), they only install the latest Firmware not the latest maps.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hi csh1259,

    The only thing I can think of is if the 2012 SRX vehicle already had the map disc updated. I would like to research this on your behalf. If you private message me with your VIN and dealership name and location I am more than happy to continue our interactions.

    Regards,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

    My husband and I took our 2012 SRX in for service after we experienced several occasions where the navigation system gave us incorrect guidance info. Once was in the Dallas area--the system took us past our destination. Luckily, my husband caught the error; had I been by myself, I might have been in a pickle. The most obvious time was when we were in a very small town and the navigation system told us to turn where there was no road/street! I researched on the Internet to find other people had similar problems. We took our SRX in on September 23, 2013; our service advisor said he had not heard of anyone having that problem. Ran diagnostics...found no problem; found no bulletins for the problem; said we had the most up-to-date software (at the time) but that GM was working on an update. We got a notice dated October 2013 regarding a navigation system update, which we have not ordered. I guess my question is whether or not this new update will fix the issues we experienced. I'd hate to spend $200 and still get incorrect directions. I do travel by myself to visit a daughter in the Dallas area, so this is a concern. Thanks for any info/help.

  9. #39
    '12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmr1953
    My husband and I took our 2012 SRX in for service after we experienced several occasions where the navigation system gave us incorrect guidance info. Once was in the Dallas area--the system took us past our destination. Luckily, my husband caught the error; had I been by myself, I might have been in a pickle. The most obvious time was when we were in a very small town and the navigation system told us to turn where there was no road/street! I researched on the Internet to find other people had similar problems. We took our SRX in on September 23, 2013; our service advisor said he had not heard of anyone having that problem. Ran diagnostics...found no problem; found no bulletins for the problem; said we had the most up-to-date software (at the time) but that GM was working on an update. We got a notice dated October 2013 regarding a navigation system update, which we have not ordered. I guess my question is whether or not this new update will fix the issues we experienced. I'd hate to spend $200 and still get incorrect directions. I do travel by myself to visit a daughter in the Dallas area, so this is a concern. Thanks for any info/help.
    No navi system is going to be 100% accurate, especially those that are only updated annually. There is constant change of roads being built, as well as hundreds, if not thousands of subdivisions. Businesses come and go daily. The portable GPS systems that have several updates per year are best, but they are far from perfect too. I guess you are not old enough to remember paper maps that only got you to a city, and even the "major" cities had rudimentary road and street info. Consider your self lucky to even have a navi/GPS system courtesy of Big Brother, who knows all and sees all.

  10. #40
    ngrigoriev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    250

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    have you looked up what BMW/Merc/Lexus/etc map updates cost?
    $30 for BMW. If you are lazy to search for 5 more minutes or to negotiate - then $40..45. You buy an FSC code, download the maps from bittorrent to a USB stick and in ~45 minutes you are done. FSC code unlocks the map for your car. You can even buy the FSC code that covers a range of years (like from 2014 to 2018) for about $80.

    You can also burn the DVD but that will take about 4 hours to install.

    Is there a similar mechanism for CUE?

  11. #41
    stevec5375's Avatar
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,865

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman View Post
    No navi system is going to be 100% accurate, especially those that are only updated annually. There is constant change of roads being built, as well as hundreds, if not thousands of subdivisions. Businesses come and go daily. The portable GPS systems that have several updates per year are best, but they are far from perfect too. I guess you are not old enough to remember paper maps that only got you to a city, and even the "major" cities had rudimentary road and street info. Consider your self lucky to even have a navi/GPS system courtesy of Big Brother, who knows all and sees all.
    I've bought my last Nav in a vehicle. From now on it's my cell phone and Google maps. When they design a way for me to hook my phone up to my car so that the phone's screen displays on the car's screen I'll consider it.

  12. #42
    Huey Driver is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    311

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    I'm going to venture to guess that the process you describe for BMW is illegal. People spend an eternity convoluting some rationalization, but breaking a password for a product is illegal.
    I'm not going to get into any moral discussion. I dont like the prices either. But if a vendor has made a legitimate attempt at preventing unauthorized use of his product, it is illegal to subvert that. It would be like me kicking in the front door of your house and blaming you for the crappy door.
    I'm just sayin', compare apples to apples. 'legally acquired, installed and enabled software" vs same... BMW charges an arm and a leg for an oil change and 'gives away' map updates?

  13. #43
    stevec5375's Avatar
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,865

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post
    I'm going to venture to guess that the process you describe for BMW is illegal. People spend an eternity convoluting some rationalization, but breaking a password for a product is illegal.
    I'm not going to get into any moral discussion. I dont like the prices either. But if a vendor has made a legitimate attempt at preventing unauthorized use of his product, it is illegal to subvert that. It would be like me kicking in the front door of your house and blaming you for the crappy door.
    I'm just sayin', compare apples to apples. 'legally acquired, installed and enabled software" vs same... BMW charges an arm and a leg for an oil change and 'gives away' map updates?
    Some of us folks out here write software for a living and appreciate people who are honest and pay for it. It's hard work. I have never understood people who think it's OK to steal. If everybody did it we would not have this wonderful technology.
    Last edited by stevec5375; 04-02-14 at 05:21 PM.

  14. #44
    ngrigoriev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    250

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Some of us folks out here write software for a living and appreciate people who are honest and pay for it. It's hard work. I have never understood people who think its grand to steal. If everybody did it we would not have this wonderful technology.
    $40 is not exactly a steal. By the way, Garmin charges about $45 for their map update and their map update has more information that that BMW map. I've been paying to Garmin several times to update my GPS units...

    Also, BMW sells the map update itself at the cost of the media, i.e. free. It is the code that you need to pay for. And, according to their model, you are not expected to update the map yourself - you need to go to the dealer. Who will gladly charge you $350 for putting a DVD in your car and clicking a few buttons. And the process itself is totally user-controlled, no hacking involved. You put the media in, the car prompts you for the code. You enter the code and the update starts. In fact, I had one code provided with my car, for previous map release.

    Anyway, I do not mind paying the _fair_ price for the service. I have already paid quite a bit for the GPS unit (the one in the car). Probably it is over $1500. The navigator for $150 often does better job. It would come with either lifetime map updates, or you can buy lifetime updates for few dozens of $. Or pay something for each update. Look at Garmin. They used to sell one-time updates for like $65. About two years ago I have noticed they started offering the lifetime updates for $180. The last Gamin unit I have bought included lifetime map updates and it was something like $120 (the unit).

    In either case, GM or BMW, I think $200 for a map update is just simply too high. I would gladly pay $30-40 but not more. And I am not even talking about the quality of the database.

  15. #45
    Huey Driver is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    311

    Re: Navigation Maps Update?

    I actually agree with you. $200 is a lot, even though I spent that to do one update (after about 4 years) on my previous Trailblazer. Since I had dealt with the updates before, I kinda knew I wouldnt really want to do it, which is why I opted for a Luxury without Nav. Like Steve, I use my phone which sits sideways perfectly behind the shift lever.
    How about a google maps app with traffic for CUE using the same shared network like Pandora... It might put a supplier out business, but sure would solve the data freshness problem...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum