Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Engine HOT - A/C off on 2006 STS-V

40K views 73 replies 28 participants last post by  chekasout 
#1 ·
I have now had the car in twice to no avail to get this fixed. First time they said they had to "download new s/w". Latest time they "topped off supercharger coolant". Same problem remains. Warning comes on at intermittant times and the temp gauge always goes to zero when it goes on. Can happen when I first start in the morning or when i am in the middle of a drive. Oil temp is never over 185 regardless of whether the warning is showing up or not. Then unexpectantly it goes back off and the temp gauge starts reading correctly again. I have told the dealer it seems like a temp sensor problem...but they don't seem to listen.

Any suggestions? Any tech bulletins on this one?

Thanks

#3 ·
Look through the threads. This has come up before. The post was something like $600 to change the thermostat.

If you are out of warranty you can change it yourself in about 30-45 minutes.

180* (Stock) replacement is a Mr. Gasket 6368
160* (Modified) replacement is a Mr. Gasket 6367

Several of us on the forum have the 160*.

#4 ·
I had the same problem, and finally got around to replacing the thermostat with a Delco one this past weekend. As far as I can tell, i haven't gotten the Engine Hot error in similar conditions that used to trigger it.

Oil temps are a bit different for me after I swapped the part out:
Before the change i would rarely get above 195. With the replacement, the temps rise faster, and average temp is around 195-210 (had it get up to almost 220). The weather here has been bouncing around 100 since i changed it out, so that might be a factor.

Are my numbers still within a safe range?

#9 ·
Mine is doing this now, it kicks the front fan on full blast and shuts the a/c off. I wish this wasent happening with 110° weather... I'm going to have to look up how to change the thermostat within the next few days because this is annoying. Your not alone on this.

#13 ·
My understanding (and I just checked on Mobil's website to verify) is that 250 is a limit for conventional oil to begin breaking down. Synthetic oil limit increases to above 300° - which, I think, is where the sensor kicks in and warns you to idle the car until it cools down.

Here's one link to part of Mobil's site where they discuss high-temp operation: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/High_Temperatures_Collection.aspx

Note there's a ton of info there, hard to find specifics - but there appear to be a lot of cars that see "normal" high oil temps of 230-240°. Mobil recommends 0-40 Synthetic for those applications, but they note that's also what the vehicle manufacturer states to use in those cars.

#15 ·
I also have a 2006 STS-V and had this same experience. I went through a lot of trial and error with the dealer but the tech is very meticulous and finally rooted it out. The problem to turned out to be a bad thermostat; the challenge was that I had just had a host of preventive maintenance done, belts hoses etc including the thermostat. It turns out the replacement thermostat was bad. A quick fix for this short term and it will last for a brief while is to disconnect the Red terminal on the battery for 30 seconds and reconnect. Keep the key fob handy and hit the door lock button if the alarm goes off. This was probably one of the most challenging issues I have encountered with the car. Hope this helps

#16 ·
I had this happen to mine several times earlier this year when the weather was much, much cooler so I knew it had to be some sort of error. I bought a scanner locally and used it twice to turn off this code. It has not happened in months now and it is consistently over 100 deg F here everyday(CenTex) and my engine temps have not gone over 200 deg F.

#18 ·
I have the same problem and my dealer says nothing is wrong, won't honor the Major Guard extended warrenty and wants to charge for the diagnostic because they say there are no stored trouble codes and can't reproduce the problem. Do you have the TSB and / or the stored ECM codes that should be there? It would help me argue against the money the stealership wants to charge me.

#19 ·
I am having the same issue, I have been dealing with it since I bought the car back in January. I have taken it to the dealer a couple of times but each time the message has cleared and the A/C is back on. The last time I asked them to just change the thermostat, but they would not under the warranty without seeing the fault. I have to agree that it is pretty annoying the weather in Florida is not giving me a break.

#20 ·
Sorry to hear. Hope your stealership didn't charge you $160 for the diagnostic not to find anything like mine at St Claire in San Jose. This is one reason I don't go there. I expected to have this repaired under warranty. Was hoping the board would provide me information regarding TSB and DTC code before they charged me for nothing other than their inability to resolve. I guess I will have to drive there directly the next time this occurs.

#21 ·
This happened to me last week in Florida when it was 60 degrees outside. Brought it into my dealer which is very close to my house in Brandon Florida. They knew what the issue was, gave me a CTS loaner for the night and replaced the thermostat the next day. Problem solved. If only all Cadillac dealers were as good as this one in the Tampa area they would sell many more cars. Next car will probably be an ATS variant. Not sure if they will ever get a V version. I LOVE my 2006 STS-V but extended warranty is up in August so I'm thinking of something newer. Also I'm a bit tired of 14 MPG and fuel costs will be much higher soon.

#22 ·
I replaced my T-Stat before it had a chance to fail.....

Also I'm a bit tired of 14 MPG and fuel costs will be much higher soon.
Get a TUNE and keep your foot out of it. On the highway I get 26-27 and in town I get 18-19.

#25 ·
I find that hard to believe. Maybe its cuz mine has 50 more hp...
No it's because you suck.......

Just kidding...

I've seen your video. KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT!!

Not sure why but I maybe I drive more conservatively.

I thought your were getting like 27-28mpg on the highway??

#27 ·
I will have to watch that once I get my pulley system on.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.