Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#3 ·
68 degrees here. Got underway at 1:30 and drove down to the tip of Kent Island and back - 17 miles - to warm it up. Front end up on jackstands in the garage, change oil and filter. Check underneath for this and that. (garage concrete floor is COLD). Pour in 7.5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and a prefilled WIX 51522 filter. Check for leaks and check all fluids. AOK.

Drain oil was clear dark amber. 4,500 miles. Used 20 oz. of oil over that mileage which works out to about 1 quart/6,000 miles - 11.5 months (it's been a quiet year). Took used oil up to Charlie's for his shop furnace.

#4 ·
Sweet. I just got done working on the Bricklin for the day, only to find this thread.

Today, I:

1) Installed replacement alternator.
2) Installed new thermostat.
3) All but finished the pneumatic plumbing! I now have working doors, hatch, and headlights! The air is now running on the onboard compressor and not the home compressor. The only thing left to hook up are the air latches and one regulator to keep the headlights from snapping up so violently.

The only snag came near the end of the work day - I was letting the compressor do its thing and one of the air line ruptured! I'm assuming it's only because of a wrongly installed pressure switch - the compressor should have cut off at 120 psi and the lines are rated for 150! Scared the crap out of me.

Today I probably made the most progress on the car (in one day) that I can remember. I'm back into the fray tomorrow...

#16 ·
today 2-19-11

not a damm things just freaking woke up lol

how ever i am getting ready to take it out on a 400 miles run
going to detroit to visit friends then heading back to cleveland tonight

might fuel it up again depending on if i can get up to 400 miles with highway driving as long as i can disaplin myself to not race it and floor it on this trip

oh also going to pack it with 2 girls tonight head to a party in detroit

um lets see what els try to avoide pot holes
blast the radio ones i get on the highway

not sure what els

#17 ·
Wash and claybar last night, took some time this afternoon to touch up all the nicks and scratches with some leftover paint. (I had traded some computer work with a client for getting my left doors and bumpers repainted. Couldn't do anything else to fix flaking clearcoat.) Going shopping for a set of used rear F45 shocks with low miles.

#18 ·
Replaced the batteries on both the Allante and the Bricklin.
Troubleshot the pneumatics on the Bricklin; I need a more powerful air compressor (d'oh!).
Changed the oil on the Allante, took it for a drive.
Noticed a headlight was out, bought a replacement.

#18,342 · (Edited by Moderator)
What did I do to my car today? Ordered parts.

Replaced the batteries on both the Allante and the Bricklin.
Troubleshot the pneumatics on the Bricklin; I need a more powerful air compressor (d'oh!).
Changed the oil on the Allante, took it for a drive.
Noticed a headlight was out, bought a replacement.
You have an Allante AND a Bricklin??? Add a Maserati BiTURBO to your nightmare.... Seriously though, I dig it.

#20 ·
Nothing. Sabrina has been sitting in my girlfriend's driveway in Portland since Thursday night while I'm as the Chicago meet. Don't plan on driving her until tomorrow morning when I drive the 88 miles to Corvallis for the start of another work week.

But I did get her oil changed last Saturday.

#21 ·
Well, I drove the "Grey Wolf" to church this morning where she could commune with all the other old, but nice Cadillacs in the parking lot!

I lied, I drove her on her usual weekly 10 mile jaunt of twisties and freeway and it was back in the garage for her.

#22 ·
drove back from warren Mi to Cleveland 192 miles left at 11:30 pm got home at 5am
because on my way back i saw this guy swirving slowing speeding up slowing back down fluctuation around 30-80 mph speraticly blinker on hole time in and out of his lane but never one lane for meo then 20 seconds
i got his plate number

slowed down to 15 mph to stay far behind and away got on the skirt sholder of the highway
pulled up the city i was in with the navi unit hten rmmebr you can dial *990 from cell phone and it will link you with police and emergency on highway turnpike in ohio so did that
told them i think someone is driving drunk
they asked me to stop at the next rest area or highway skirt engine break area wich ever came first and wait for a office to come to me
they did then i fallow him to where they pulled this guy over wanted me to witness that this one what i saw
they had him blow and he had enought liquire in his system to make a dog run away from his breath they said lol
how ever not even a thank you from the troopers after it wall all said an doen no apreciation at all

thats what i did with the caddy today

#24 ·
Spent $110 having the upper radiator hose replaced.

When I pulled into the garage Sunday night after driving in from Portland after the Chicago meet, I saw steam coming out the front of my car. Not a good sign. Too dark to really see anything, so I drove Betty to work yesterday and called my mechanic to see about bringing Sabrina in today. The temperature gauge hadn't budged from top dead center, there was still coolant in the tank and only a few drops of coolant on the garage floor.

When I arrived at my mechanic's, the steam was coming out again, so I opened the hood, and the problem became immediately obvious: the upper radiator hose was rubbing up against a pulley on the left side of the engine, and the wear had finally created a hole from which coolant was spraying.

After installing the new hose, my mechanic also used a couple of zip ties to prevent the hose from rubbing on the pulley. So any Northstar drivers, you might want to check yours.

#28 ·
After installing the new hose, my mechanic also used a couple of zip ties to prevent the hose from rubbing on the pulley. So any Northstar drivers, you might want to check yours.
Gary, open the hood and reach your fingers around behind and under the plastic radiator sight shield (cover) - there's a molded-in channel that the top radiator hose clips into for just that ^^^ purpose.

The truck: This AM - warmed it up, did the lazy thing and took it to Western Auto - oil & filter, rotate tires, new Exide 84 month battery. (Too damn cold on the garage floor at 28 degrees this morning.)

#30 · (Edited)
The Eldo is the beater. Its never been driven in snow or salt, coming from Sun City, AZ. in 07' it never has seen much rain. The battery tray has the only minor corroison.

I can get away with driving a 15 yr old car, she can not. In mid January the loyal & trustworthy 03' Caravan started exhibiting transmission problems that require near total value repairs & traded it info this 2010 Ford Fusion SEL never titled by anyone but Ford manufacturing as a fleet vehicle with low miles. 17,500mi. We paid over $11,000 less than the sticker price of $28,700- W/trade in drove it out minus $16,954.16

We had to join the 32 mpg club.

Its a very nice car with NAV, SYNC, back-up camera, blind spot radar, leather, moon, heated seats, handling pkg, 84 mo. Ford ESP warranty. It has everything with the exceptions of remote start & the V6 or hybird -a Ford/Mazda built in Mexico. 175hp 2.5 I4 was the reasonable choice with plenty of power although it just seems like a mistake not to get the 240hp V6. Its a good cruising & handling car with good leg room & a huge trunk. Its getting 24-25mpg around town compared to the Caravan 17-18mpg city.