Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#18,155 ·
I drove to Shamokin, PA -- about 200 miles each way. She easily maintains the same cruising speed on hilly route 80 as on the flat Jersey Turnpike, but gas mileage suffers. On the way back Google Maps led us down progressively less probable back roads and finally to a one lane covered bridge. Really? Is this what happens to people who enter central Pennsylvania, never to return? I stopped long enough to convince myself this route really led back to the interstate, then crossed -- miles of hilly farmland, and finally on the horizon, silhouettes of trucks... the road back to civilization.

#18,168 ·
You'll die blind in a crosswalk while staring at your "smart phone" long before my 5.5" Garmin dash mount (no cost, free lifetime maps) leads me into trouble - and I never blindly believe that instrument, ever.

No earthly use (and don't need the distractions) for music, phone internet, text, video, podcasts, whatever.

I learned how to navigate on land, in the air, and on the ocean* using common sense, charts, maps, instruments, and my brain. It will be a sad day in hell when I need a "smart phone" to tell me how to get somewhere. Our little "Benton Court" has been in existence for over 40 years and I was JUST able to get it shown on Google Maps a month ago, so our modern electronic world is not yet perfect. The UPS tracker maps had it over 2 years ago.

"Garmin" is a well known well respected name in the fields of marine and air navigation.

* - think: navigate using stars.

#18,176 ·
They'll likely just keep pushing the date back, but there's incessant chatter about ditching all POTS lines within a couple years (as of a couple years ago). In addition to 2 cell phones, we were managing to get charged another $110 for the landline. Since 240% of the calls were scammers it finally went bye-bye. So then our broadband service (merely 'paired' twisted pair copper) increased $20 from no longer being a 'bundled package'.

Cliffs: ~$80/mo for me, $40/ for the wife (tagging off son's account) ain't bad for unlimited cell service.

Thread Content: I used the phone to confirm current stock on an antenna from The Antenna Source. The cable is $30.50, but the entire brand new unit is only $28 more. The cable is an easy enough fix, but there's several more things inside looking like near death, so I decided to splurge and invest an extra bottle's worth of bourbon in the car:

Reactions: CadillacLuke24
#18,185 ·
Now that is one attractive (and yes, clean) engine bay. Extra points for no greasy Armor-All finish. I don't mind mentioning the cover cladding on ever-younger models has developed to frightening degrees. I actually flinch when I see how little of the guts under the hood are available for inspection and viewing pleasure. I'm half-hoping most of that is purely cosmetic to mask objectionable dirt/ debris for normal Joes/ Josettes, and not all super engineered to benefit and manage circulation.

In a few years I'll likely be snagging something close to this or last years' offerings, and it'll be unnerving as hell if I can't easily see all the moving parts and leaks underneath every few days.

That's my entry into 'First World Problem of The Week' competition anyway.

#18,189 ·
Ah soooo. Thanks, and had to look that one up. You've struck on yet another factor in my not anxiously clambering for an EV. I don't want to experience no noise, no vibration, or no harshness. I want to be able to sense changes of all those conditions while driving.
And yes Mr. -Daddy, I'm awaiting the day those covers are wired to 'Disable' if removed anywhere but at a 'Manufacturer Authorized Service Center'.

Thread content: I put a piece of white bookbinding tape over the antenna hole, 'cause I ain't installing the new one in this crap cold weather.

#18,194 ·
Satin, or outright flat. I gotta do mine as well.

#18,195 ·
It’s a satin black. Speaking of that, I just ordered a brand new wreath & crest for my grill. I’m gonna re do the grill with black Plasti Dip, except this time I’m going to look into possibly adding the glossifier or whatever it is to help retain the satin finish and prevent it from turning dull over time.

This is how it looked when I 1st Plasti Dipped the grill.

But after a year it sort of looks like this again..

I ordered another 1 of these emblems to start over fresh. I don’t like dull plastic & rubber bits.[emoji6][this last pic was taken a year ago]

#18,196 ·
Good. I had imagined satin for mine as well - the last time I thought of it. I've already got some satin spray urethane too that I'll try on a scrap - good lead. Can everybody agree we really need the weather to get better (warmer)?

Reactions: ELDORADO2K
#18,197 ·
I found that this stuff works very well on black trim pieces on my car and motorcycles. Just spray it on, no rubbing or buffing needed. The mirror backs on my 40 year old CBX had turned almost white. After spraying they turned...back to black.:)

#18,198 ·
I found that this stuff works very well on black trim pieces on my car and motorcycles. Just spray it on, no rubbing or buffing needed. The mirror backs on my 40 year old CBX had turned almost white. After spraying they turned...back to black.:)

I’ve used the similar product that Meguiars makes before. This aerosol can.

It works ok, but for this particular surface I prefer something that’s not just a restorer but something that’s actually going to go on like paint and change the color while also being easy to remove and re do if needed.

Semi permanent, thats something I like about Plasti Dip for this job. It’s the only place on the car I’ve used it.

#18,206 ·
Yah Mustangs are the funniest, and most deserving. But I enjoy the $1/4M regular production Italian jobbees stuffing it into Jersey barriers and trees. More entertaining, and no fears of taking out a future classic.

#18,207 ·
Haha it was RIDICULOUSLY PACKED. Like, the line to get in was at least 4 miles long at one point. Totally crazy. Pre-pandemic, we had the world's largest monthly recurring car show at the old venue.

A buddy of mine took a video of one of my drag strip runs. I was launching it VERY lightly around 2000 RPM because I know my rear differential is on borrowed time (it's been whining since I got the car... 13,000 miles ago lol)