Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#18,123 ·
She decided to try and flirt with a Taurus and didnt get a nice response. Thankfully Cadillac King has the parts on their way to me. This pic is after i removed all the broken pieces. Gonna clean it up and take a rubber mallet to the hood and fender. The pool by the tire there is from a leak that i fixed recently too, Water pump housing had a semi loose bolt.

#18,125 ·
Zounds! a million views and 12k posts!

.......Gonna clean it up and take a rubber mallet to the hood and fender.
I applaud your gumption. If the paint ain't broke I've seen (and had done) some miraculous work by the more highly-reviewed PDR places.

It's already been a month or more since I spent some quality time under my driver. The usual oil change and complete lube, semi-annual brake clean & adjust, and underhood/undercarriage cleaniing. But I also reworked and dressed up a tailpipe from the SLP catback I took off my Impala SS last year. Also installed a brand new driveshaft for no reason that came with the car, and fuel filter and and......

#18,124 ·
I remember one great guy in here with a Corvette running a dry rear differential. What was the error and could it be fixed?

I have the G80 Getrag limited slip and it leaks. I think it looks like right axle seal but not sure. I have been told this happens on GM differentials sometimes.

Car is going in for service soon anyway so asked to order relevant seals for the differential.

It didn’t run dry - but some oil has been leaked (like 10-20%). It seems the leak is worse at hogh speeds. For short city driving - no traces of oil.

#18,128 ·
Need more pics of the FWB!

Old rack is ready to come out. Thought I could work around the subframe without dropping it, thought I could squeeze by...nope, gotta drop it. Damn it. Hopefully soon.

Clyde is over 180k and still trucking. I believe the source of the transmission malady is the wiring harness is cooked. They don't last forever when cooking in 190 degree fluid. Have all the new parts, just waiting for the filter to complete the list, then I'll dig into the trans.

I deleted the trans thermostat, instantly dropped temps by about 30-50 degress while going down the road. Very pleased with the results.

Evidently the Camaro SS/ Corvette/ CTS-V run a slightly cooler engine thermostat, so going to try that too!

#18,130 ·
Today I decided to detail my 2012 wagon, and while doing the rear section of the interior, I had the bright idea of unbolting the (luggage?) rails in order to really clean the dirt that had built up over the years. Well this led to a whole big project since I notoriously can’t leave well enough alone... Having had a great deal of experience with manufacturing products from aluminum I quickly noticed that GM had anodized these rails with a transparent / clear / bright silver finish that actually looks really good and held up surprisingly well, andI wasn’t having that. I thought to myself, These are made of aluminum and I like polishing things, what’s more, they are on my work bench. Fast forward 2 hrs to me cleaning up my various “sticks” of wood, grades of sandpaper, dremel polishing wheels, polishes, my hands, arms and face, I had two very shiny, functional, yet no longer durable / high maintenance “floor bars”.
But something was missing... why not make these newly shiny pieces of custom extruded bar light up? 🤦🏻‍♂️
So I added a 9th and 10th leg to my custom rgb ambient light system, installed equal length rgb 5050 smd led light strips and covered them with some led light strip diffusers I had left over from an under cabinet light set up i did in my kitchen.
so fast forward even further to me again cleaning up the garage floor, work bench and interior of little pieces of heat shrink and stripped wires, it was finished, still completely functional and looks amazing!, still needs a detail though...
maybe tomorrow. 😎
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

#18,131 ·
"I'll take, 'This Guy's Nuts' for $1,000 Alex."

1. Seriously, over the top especially if this wagon is your daily driver.

2. I know a good divorce attorney if you keep using the kitchen counter as your workshop.

#18,132 ·
1) I wonder what makes that picture so sexy it is considered “sensitive content” should be your number “1”

2) thank you? Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, Awesome movie though! 💪🏻
3) No need for the court system, divorced 11 years and loving it! 💪🏻

It is absolutely my daily driver, glad you like it?
I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s my cup of coffee, and I friggin love coffee.

#18,134 ·
1) I wonder what makes that picture so sexy it is considered “sensitive content” should be your number “1”

Sensitive Content ALWAYS gets my first attention. So divorced eh. I say those filters are damm smart. Even though cramped, with the right lighting there's multiple things possible back there.

For a single fella that get-up is the perfect individualization for both yourself and for others. For a new passenger, "So, what's your favorite color this evening?"

Reactions: Clearwheels
#18,137 ·
Nothing to the DeVille recently...work has been busy. Hopefully here in the next week or two, she deserves it.

The Silverado, on the other hand, has been getting lots of attention due to his high mileage. Almost to 182k in 4 and a half years....stuff will break eventually. Dash and headlights had a strobe effect at highway speeds. Changed the Alternator and belt drive components, and that issue went away.

FINALLY fixed the obnoxious shifting. Hard 1-2 shift and lurching downshifts at highway speeds, as well as a LAUNCHING 1-2 shift in manual mode when the transmission was hot. First tried the new 8L90E fluid, then a relearn, then the lower trans harness, then another relearn, then the entire trans harness, then another relearn.

Issue ended up being the control valve body. Shifts as smooth as can be now, at all temperatures.

Seeing as this problem cropped up right as I got back from towing my parts car back from Los Angeles, I'm betting I baked my components or was a little rough on the trans by not following the 50 mph rule in the first 500 miles of towing (I did 55). I deleted the transmission thermostat and have seen massive improvements in operating temperatures. Add to that the Camaro/Corvette/CTS-V thermostat, and that has further improved temperature dynamics during operation.

Here's to the next 182k. That and I will need to tow the DeVille from Laramie to Casper at some point.

#18,142 ·
3 times a year. The last analysis (August) from Trico Coolant Analysis says the coolant is essentially new.

EDIT: The last time I did a complete exchange was in early 2014. For those 2 quart changes I use a length of rubber tubing worked into the lower area of the surge tank, into those Tropicana OJ jugs, then drop it in the county landfill recycle bin. No mess, no fuss.

#18,146 ·
Yesterday, swapped my snow tires/rims on, it was 56 deg. and sunny.
Today I'm watching it snow, all happy knowing it's done.
All I gotta do now is finish prepping the tractor/snowblower, but it's all in the shop and just waiting its turn for a bit of my time. (And ambition!)

#18,147 ·
while driving my 2003 DHS - detected a misfire Friday -
connected the TECH2 - constant misfire on #2 -
used a stethoscope on the #2 injector - steady click - as it should be -
MUST be ignition -

ordered a new Delphi coil and a new ACDelco boot from Amazon - $125 for both -
received the parts Saturday evening -

replaced them Sunday afternoon - took less than 45 minutes -
PROBLEM SOLVED -

also removed the left headlight and replaced a burned out side marker - cheap LED -

#18,148 ·
Nicely done bass!

Man you guys have been quiet lately.

The good news? Got the rack out on the DeVille. It was a struggle, but was able to fish it out of there. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. Case was separated in a couple of spots and all the pressure lines in it had sheared. Will have to post some pictures of it on here, it's surprising.

Will bring my portable compressor to inflate the rear tires. That should improve my clearance issues with dropping the subframe.

The bad news, I backed into a passing 06 SRX with the Silverado. The bumper mercifully took the brunt of it, though the left rear quarter panel will need pulled out. Left rear tail light is toast too, we'll see. Hopefully get him into the shop soon, just got him back from another shop's redo on the right rocker panel. One of these days I'll learn. I hope I didn't take out the SRX, the doors on the right side are toast. Sure, accidents happen, but damn.

Nice thing is the insurance company will do an electronic transfer since I ruled out their only shop in the area. That way I should be able to shop around for parts. I get Chevy parts at the dealer for wholesale cash, so that will help. I'm thinking I'll also remove the bumper myself to save on labor, and install the new one. With any luck that will cover my 1k deductible and I'll break even.

#18,149 ·
I’ve been having a reoccurring issue with these 2 screws that hold my center armrest constantly coming loose. Loctite didn’t work, So I finally decided to just use some Crazy Glue gel on the screws and hopefully they stay in place once and for all.

Continuing with screw jobs, I bought a couple proper sets of license plate screws & fasteners to replace the mismatched screws and missing fasteners that were on before.

Plus these new screws allow these chrome caps to properly fit over them unlike before.

Gave the car a quick wash.

#18,154 ·
I’ve been having a reoccurring issue with these 2 screws that hold my center armrest constantly coming loose. Loctite didn’t work, So I finally decided to just use some Crazy Glue gel on the screws and hopefully they stay in place once and for all.

Center armrest - this was apparently the last straw for the former owners of my DeVille. When I bought the car the cover was not only detached but had a toddler's sneaker print dead center, not even wiped down -- he stepped on the armrest, it broke, they got rid of the car. I've never fixed it. The other thing I never fixed is the cup holder cover -- it jammed one day then broke as I struggled with it, now does not stay closed. The other other thing is the ashtray. Some pop rivets came out, a track fell off, I taped it shut. Fortunately when I need 12V power there is that other receptacle conveniently under the passenger's seat.

It's a great car as a car, but some of the internal trim does not seem to have been built to last. I don't think I was particularly hard on these things.

#18,151 ·
For a half-second there I thought the licence plate had a crack image background, and I was wondering why the Clippers needed cracked concrete - usually they play on nice hardwood. Very odd. Then realized it's a mirror finish and was reflecting your driveway. LMAO! [emoji43]

Max
Lol. I noticed that too. I almost wanted to go out and re take the picture because of that but then I’d have to move the car just for a picture? Lol

#18,153 ·
1981 Eldorados fiber optics dilemma Part 2
I need 2 low beam hedlights with rear glass extrusions.
Tx to the forum input regarding the lamp monitor issue that is now done on my Biarritz.
Now it's twin, a red base Eldorado, needs 2 low beam headlights with the necessary 1/4 -5/16 inch glass extrusions .
This extrusion is necessary to connect with the tip of the fiber optic line.
Yesterday was spent physically visiting local auto stores that had many rectangular lo beams but none had the extrusion.
Then went on-line Amazon, RockAuto, ebay etc where they all claimed to have bulbs for 81 Eldorados but close up views showed the extrusion missing!
Please, is there anyone who knows a reputable source?
Thanking U ahead of time.
King