Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#17,891 ·
Must have hit a bad weld on that cattle guard. One free patch later and the Jeep rolls on.

Checked on Clyde, he's in one of the paint booths with his RF fender and RF door prepped and ready to go. They said they'd try to get him back by Thanksgiving, but I told them to take their time, I want quality over speed any day.

May see if I can keep the Jeep a couple more days after I get Clyde back. Would be nice to have backup while I dig into the condenser/radiator project.

Forgot my lights but remembered my sledgehammer last week, so the left tie rod end is now disconnected from the knuckle on Alexandra. Small steps. ?

#17,892 ·
Clyde is tucked away in one of the bodyshop garages. I believe he's done, just didn't get up in time on Wednesday. I'll be glad to have him back, but man I have a list a mile long.

Wyoming is closed.

Winter storm rolling through. Expecting 5-10 inches locally, up to 2 feet in the NE corner. No roads out of town open. I-80 is closed nearly border to border, and I-25 is except for Cheyenne to Colorado. This would be one time I would be disappointed at getting called off....well, maybe not.

#17,899 ·
Indeed! Those wheels look good too!

Bodyshop did a great job on the door and bumper cap. Totally missed cracked paint on the fender. Did some stripping and it looks like they tried the bondo approach. After some stern words to the insurance company and a trip back to the body shop, they will give it a go on December 23rd. Thinking they will figure it out this time. At any rate it will be the last time I go to that shop.

Been a second since I've been to Laramie. Weather has not been cooperating.

#17,908 ·
Whoa.
Glad to hear this didn't unfold on your recent road trip with the wife!
Looking forward to reading your progress reports, Ray.
Still would like some backstory deets.

#17,910 ·
Bought mine a Christmas present - GMEPP!
B2B expires in March, now I'm Platinum protected until Jan. 31, 2025 or 75k.
I'm liking it much more than I did 6 months ago (long story), guess I'll keep it for a while......

#17,912 ·
I will if you will....
Here goes:
Bought 5/18 with 24,000 mi. at a Buick/GMC dealership an hour from home.

6/18 chose to go to the Cadillac dealership closest to me for CUE screen (already?) and service. Also replaced a defective armrest.

11/18 28,xxx miles. Bought snow tires, requested frt cover oil leak repair - done. Trans shudder and a/c control issue - NPF.

12/18, 100 miles later, died on the road. Teardown revealed broken crank gear. I know that was caused during oil leak repair but can't prove it. Should have gotten a motor but they chose to repair it. Crank, gear, chain, all pistons and valves. I was pissed. Trans and a/c control NPF again. Had to go back for a coolant leak,and they had put my directional snow tires on backwards.

4/19 30,500 miles. Bought summer tires and they damaged all 4 rims. I can't take the trans anymore - try again. According to the TSB that still required test/measurements of shudder, it wasn't severe enough, therefore no fix. Calls to Cadillac were a waste of time. Took service mgr for a ride to get his agreement it has a problem. He agreed to proceed with the rest of the TSB (I found out later they didn't).
Also had a ticking noise in the firewall/dash area to check out. Turned out to be HP fuel pump and was told there was damage to cam and head. Now I was really pissed that they didn't replace the motor in December. They replaced it this time. And "refinished" my rims. And it only took them 6-7 weeks. That's right, I got my car back in June.
And they sent me home with an empty coolant tank and a qt low on oil. In my brand new motor. Oh, replaced shifter ass'y also. Kept getting "shift to park" message and RAP wouldn't shut off until I smacked the shifter!

All told, in a year and a month, my car was in service for nearly 90 days. Thank god for warranty and loaners. Too bad about my choice of dealership.

Anyway, went to another dealer that's been great to me. Took a couple trips, but a/c was fixed with temp actuators, they did the trans flush/TCM relearn which has been pretty good (not 100% but I don't blame them), and replaced the rear driveshaft that had some runout. They swapped my snow tires most recently and road-force balanced them. Got 4w alignment (subframe's been out of the thing twice and I know the nummies that did it didn't align it after) and car now rides and drives better than when I bought it.

Finally.

And it still only has 35,xxx miles on it now, but I'm liking it again!

#17,915 · (Edited)
FWIW, Lehto did a video recently about dealers who sell the warranties but never submit them. They hope the customer will sell the car before they need it or try to submit revised paperwork later when they first bring it in for a repair, or eat cheap (to them) repairs, etc.. Apparently a fairly common thing. He suggests people contact HQ for the warranty to confirm it's been filed and is active.

#17,918 · (Edited)
Man, it’s been a long time since I tore into a motor. Your work’s cut out for you for sure. After cleaning and machining, the assembly was always the most enjoyable part of the process. Have fun!:) All I did was visit a dealer for an O&F change. For giggles I got a price on front rotors and pads....$388.82 for the rotors and a whopping $220.48 just for the pads!?. Walked around the lot, it’s a Cad, Chevy and Toyota setup, huge layout across the street from each other. Saw two ZL1 Cammaros priced at $64,999. Recaro interior, full aero package, HUGE brakes and tires etc but damn, 64 grand for a Camaro? Right next to them were several ‘standard’ Camaros priced in the 30k range. That’s over 30k in upgrades for the top Camaro. I doubt I’ll ever buy a new car again.

#17,920 ·
Man, it’s been a long time since I tore into a motor. Your work’s cut out for you for sure. After cleaning and machining, the assembly was always the most enjoyable part of the process. Have fun!:) All I did was visit a dealer for an O&F change. For giggles I got a price on front rotors and pads....$388.82 for the rotors and a whopping $220.48 just for the pads![emoji33]. Walked around the lot, it’s a Cad, Chevy and Toyota setup, huge layout across the street from each other. Saw two ZL1 Cammaros priced at $64,999. Recaro interior, full aero package, HUGE brakes and tires etc but damn, 64 grand for a Camaro? Right next to them were several ‘standard’ Camaros priced in the 30k range. That’s over 30k in upgrades for the top Camaro. I doubt I’ll ever buy a new car again.
Well it could be worse. 65k USD is about 450k DKK. If I were to spend that amount of money I would probably buy one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk