Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#6,108 ·
Have my engine mostly reassembled. It will need a specific AC compressor and a custom mount designed to work with the intake I have and some more enamel, so it looks pretty, but the deed is essentially done. I do however have to wait until tomorrow to finish the installation of the harmonic balancer, as I do not currently have my tool for this in my garage (and it is easier to get a new one at Autozone than drive to Dunnellon to get it) and I can definitely not install it with a broken rubber sledgehammer. Oh well. I also need a new bolt for the water pump, as I interestingly have none in this size, but dozens slightly smaller or larger than it. Interestingly, the bolt that was holding the previous water pump on is slightly larger (And the type that installs with a hex key rather than a ratchet, which I thought was odd) and cannot fit through my new water pump and I am unsure of how well I can make a smaller bolt work, but we shall wait and see.

#6,113 ·
Bought some Ti shims for the front brakes of the V. The V has a different pad shape number than the GTR and AMG cars. The pad shape is identical, but the thickness is different.

So I bought the shims for pad type D1382. Since the shape is the same, they'll add the V to their catalog if they work...

#6,123 ·
While not technically today and actually done in two separate sessions, no more than an hour each, I did finish replacing the water pump, timing chain, harmonic balancer and most of the gaskets (Not the oil pan gasket yet) on the 500. Photos, as promised and requested. The job gave me no problems really until the end. Not nearly as ridiculous as these same steps were when building the engine for the Pontiac.

Pulley off.

Side-by-Side of the old and new balancer.

Ewwww.

Timing Cover removed.

Oil Pan as well.

Much better new chain in place.

And closed back up, with new water pump in place.

So, interesting story. These engines are notorious for problems caused when muscleheaded idiots try to install the water pump, which does not need the bolts to be screwed in very tightly, as they will strip our the insides of the engine block. That didn't happen and I took every precaution to make them just tight enough. Thereby I was very cautious...however, even limp-wristed, my strength is is beyond my one knowledge apparently. As I was putting one in however, much to my immediate surprise, I heard a snap and caught some shrapnel with my eye. Expecting to see the bolt snapped off in the process, I was surprised to see it was still intact. I was however able to see the problem. While every other bolt fit in perfectly, the one I was working on was not entirely tightened. It would seem there was a portion of an older bolt snapped off in the back of this hole, which has broken off so evenly, I just presumed the bolt in question was the same length as the others, as it seemed to have no marks from any problem in the past. This was of course, completely against my own knowledge and when the bolt I was putting in made contact with it the end of the other, it snapped that part of the housing instantly. It is however still a more-than snug enough fit and plenty tight and though I do not suspect it will be going anywhere...this agitates me.

#6,127 ·
So, interesting story. These engines are notorious for problems caused when muscleheaded idiots try to install the water pump, which does not need the bolts to be screwed in very tightly, as they will strip our the insides of the engine block. That didn't happen and I took every precaution to make them just tight enough. Thereby I was very cautious...however, even limp-wristed, my strength is is beyond my one knowledge apparently. As I was putting one in however, much to my immediate surprise, I heard a snap and caught some shrapnel with my eye. Expecting to see the bolt snapped off in the process, I was surprised to see it was still intact. I was however able to see the problem. While every other bolt fit in perfectly, the one I was working on was not entirely tightened. It would seem there was a portion of an older bolt snapped off in the back of this hole, which has broken off so evenly, I just presumed the bolt in question was the same length as the others, as it seemed to have no marks from any problem in the past. This was of course, completely against my own knowledge and when the bolt I was putting in made contact with it the end of the other, it snapped that part of the housing instantly. It is however still a more-than snug enough fit and plenty tight and though I do not suspect it will be going anywhere...this agitates me.

Lot's of progress in a little time there. And, never saw something like that!

#6,125 ·
The Fram was free. I had to put a filter there to keep the oil in it. I may actually relocate the filter with a kit when I do the swap, due to the specific placement it will be in and the fact that I simply can.

Also, the alternator is only 120 AMPS, so it definitely has to go as well, but it will be switched with my Cadillac's alternator when the engine swap happens.

#6,130 ·
Thirteen batteries and lots of amps. I used to have a JBL Crown 6000GTI amp (Google that) but presently have a large series of others in it's place. Hence the 650 amps required.

As per what I did with my car today: at about 2:30 this morning, a neighbour came to me about a seven foot long alligator in her drive. I removed and relocated it with the Expedition. I also can add "Alligator" to the long list of things my boots are resistant to.

(Photos later, because I am posting from my phone. Facebook friends may have already seen some.)

#6,134 ·
Picked her up from the shop, it was just a 30a maxinfuse blown for the ignition, before taking her home, i replaced all maxifuses and minis in trunk and engine. Hooked the Kicker subs and Orion amp back up and its off to portland/vancouver after work tomorrow then off to sacramento at 4am thursday morning.

#6,137 ·
Oh, I was fine. No damage caused, not even any pain whatsoever. I am after all, indestructible.

Surprised me enough to actually make me blink even though I never saw it, but merely from it striking me. I give this engine credit as historically, very few things have ever managed to pull that reaction from me.

Next job involves the oil pain and the obvious lack of an AC compressor.