Cadillac Owners Forum banner

'06 SRX cranks, but won't start. Help me diagnose?

27K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BabyGoat 
#1 ·
06' SRX with about 90,000 miles. Tried to start it today, it just cranks, doesn't fire at all.

It worked fine yesterday, all the way home & parked in my garage. Today, nothing. No check engine light, no error codes of any kind. Plenty of gas. Oil was low (as always, uses it like crazy) but still on the dipstick, I filled it up. Battery is nearly new & cranks strong. I put some starting fluid in the intake, it still didn't fire.

I'm thinking spark/ignition - what should I check first? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

#3 ·
I have the ~same problem. So, the question for me is basic diagnostics on the modern car.
(1) checking for fuel is simple - now, measure fuel pressure using the injector rail port..
(2) checking for compression is pulling plugs, which is no longer so easy.
(3) checking for a spark. My cts '03 has coils at the plug so not as simple as using a timing light, and not that easy to pull. So, TBD
(4) Checking value timing. The belt has to be working and all the sensors. So, what's the easiest way to know that the timing belt is still functioning. A day not that long ago, one could look under their oil cap to watch the valves. I can handle doing test leads to sensors if needed.

Maybe the answer is simple - Go get xxxxxx scanner. It lets you see incoming data.
Or, you should have a xxxxxxxx because it lets you set parameters like a tech 2.

Thanks for the help,
John

#4 ·
Follow-up reply - it fixed itself & I have no idea how. We towed it up to my very good local mechanic. It still wouldn't start there. They put a pressure sensor on the fuel line, it was fine. They checked the battery. Then we opened up the air intake, sprayed a bunch of starting fluid in, and cranked for a while. Eventually it started & has now been running fine ever since.

One guy was convinced that it was just flooded all along. Other than that, we were all stumped. I'm just happy its running good now.

#5 ·
I had cranking problems when my cats were bad. Since bad cats are a common problem for the SRX you might want to check that. It should be a waranty matter.

#8 ·
I had this problem once before. It happened after I started the car, moved it five feet, shut it down, and then shortly thereafter tried to start it again. If I remember correctly, I read that the engine sprays extra fuel into the cylinders upon shut down - basically the short on/off cycle resulted in a flooded condition as previously mentioned.

ACE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.