Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to Search Quickly and Efficiently.

24K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  doubleshotV 
#1 ·
I am sure a bunch of you guys already know this but for those that don't I wanted to make a thread showing you the easiest way to search the forums as using the built in search can be an arduous task!

Go to Google and type the search phrase you want to look for first. Next type the word "site:" and then finally the web site that you want to search "cadillacforums.com". In this screenshot I am searching for the phrase "Maggie" within the entire site.

Alternatively (and what I prefer) is to search within the V specific sub forums. To do so just change the web address to include which sub forum you want to search as shown:

Here I am searching for the phrase "Maggie" within the general discussion area only. Alternatively you can swap the general section for the performance or appearence section as needed.

I hope this helps some people out in trying to dig up old information and retain your sanity. BTW this works for all sites and forums just the same.

Jon

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys. Hopefully it will help out a few.

#6 ·
I have a similar search bookmarked. You can do multiple sites as well if you want to search the general/performance/appearance sections at the same time.
Awesome! I didn't know you could do that, thanks for sharing.

#7 ·
Hold on, gotta google arduous :confused:

#8 ·
;) Hard to obtain or difficult to accomplish.

#10 ·
That "works" but is slow and doesn't net all of the relevant threads. Try using that for a specific thread you know exists, sometimes it won't find that specific thread even though your set parameters should find it....

I believe google is quicker and more efficient.

#11 ·
if you like to use custom search plugins (and add them into your browser) then try the two that I made
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=cadillacforums.com
(if you're on chrome you have to set up the keyword since there is no separate search box)

these custom search plugins basically search google and add on the site: stuff for you automatically
one is for the whole CF site and the other is just for the CTSV 2nd Gen forum
(also, they've got nice little 'favicons' with the cadillac logo and the V logo to remind you what they are)

#12 ·
Bump for influx of new members.

#14 ·
this should be a :sticky:

#16 ·
My thoughts pre-creation. Anyone out there?

#15 ·
Damn good advice and very helpful. On behalf of the newbie community - thanks for the bump!!!

#18 ·
I did for a short time. The problem I found was it was searching the entire site vice the 04-07 V sections. Then I guess I just gave up on it when I switched over to Chrome again...

#19 ·
i did make a second one for the V2 sub-forum that someone requested... i don't really use it much so i'm not sure if it really works... if you try it out and it seems to work i might make one for you for the V1 sub-forum.

but i find it better to search the whole forum ... but that's just me

thanks for the feedback

#22 · (Edited)
N/P For your case it makes sense but for me I don't really give a flying you know what about the other cars and there issues! haha

I just used CancerJCC's search method w/ Google and it works great. I had a question about cleaning and oiling my Volant CAI - the threads I found were very old (would probably never have found them just browsing), but they answered my questions perfectly.
Glad it worked for you. I actually now have a Chrome tab bookmarked that goes straight to Google and I only have to add what I want to fine in front. It is what Andringa said on the first page and I find it works quite nicely.

(In Google search bar type this and then bookmark it)

Code:
site:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/ site:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/ site:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-appearance/

#20 ·
I just used CancerJCC's search method w/ Google and it works great. I had a question about cleaning and oiling my Volant CAI - the threads I found were very old (would probably never have found them just browsing), but they answered my questions perfectly.

#26 ·
Fixed.

#28 ·
FYI: The Google "site-specific" search seems to be broken. Their documentation suggests that it still works, but I haven't had any luck. All my tries result in "Your search... ...did not match any documents."

I even tried links that others posted in this thread and no luck... I haven't ruled out that I'm doing it wrong, but wanted to share.

For example, I was trying to find out info on K&N topics specifically in the CTS-V V1 forum, and the following search yielded no results:

K&N site:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/

Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.