Cadillac Owners Forum banner
19K views 51 replies 31 participants last post by  Caddy89 
#1 ·
Ok, so we have all seen the escalade vs. lincoln, escalade vs. 300, blah blah blah.... So I thought that I would add to the vs. threads, and now there is Hummer vs. escalade!!!! I think that this is a good match, why do you like one or the other ect?? What do you think of the HUT Hummer?

#2 ·
Simply stated, for that kind of money Id rather drive a escalade than a hummer.. If I was going to go offroading, I would buy a tahoe or suburban with the Z71... IF I had an escaalde I wouldnt go offroad... The hummer is just more expensive IMHO.....

#3 ·
Actually, isnt the hummer less expensive then a new escalade??? Maybe your talking about cost to run/yearly expenses? The hummer is wider then an excursion, but way shorter so i dont know. Both are at the top of there class (Hummer and escalade)

#4 ·
Yes, the fully loaded Escalade is more money than the loaded stock Hummer. My dealer, after a change of owners, now offers the Hummer lineup also, so I've had the chance to really check them out. Two of my friends also own Hummers(a H1 and a H2). The Hummer H2 is fun to drive in a lifted truck on 35inch tires kinda way, but is not as comfortable and luxurious as the Caddy, which shares the same differently geared 6.0. Due to the fact that the Escalade is lighter, it is way faster. Actually it seems to me that the H2 is just plain slow.

The new upcoming H3 (based on the ChevyColorado/S10) is IMO making the brand more versatile, yet more generic than ever before. It is also a poor attempt to raise terrible H2 sales over the last year. My dealer says the H2's sit on the lot at least twice as long as the Escalades. This was not the case when the H2 first came out.

People either love the H2 or really hate it, saying its just plain ugly. At a comedy show last week, featuring Jay Leno, the opening act(I forget his name) spoke all about how H2 drivers are trying to compensate for various reasons. I was just glad the guy didn't talk about the Escalade, since it was like a 5 minute bit.

To me the H1 is the only true Hummer. Although the H2 is a damn nice truck, I'm sticking with Caddy all the way on this one.

#5 ·
Yea, when i looked at the horses for the escalade and h2 they were close, but it seems that the hummer should have alot more horses ect, because it is bigger... Ive seen the new truck there coming out with, its made with Nike interior and red lined tires, I dont like it at all. I think its a mistake. If the truck was as big as a ford f 350 or something it might be better...

#7 ·
i had considered an h2 also, but i thought i got a much better truck with my ext. it's more powerful, more roomy, and imo, better looking. i liked the h2s when they came out, but they're so unusual, you're paying to look different. well, it's hard to look different when there's a handful of them around your small town.

#8 ·
There will be no 05 Hummer H1 but an 06 will be coming out with a Duramax engine along with the Allison transmission. The one dealership, Lynch Hummer, already did a conversion and is running 550 hp out of a Duramax Hummer H1, and can do a 4 wheel burn out with the truck...talk about having a sports car and truck at the same time.

#9 ·
Every H2 owner I know regrets purchasing it. The resale is tanking and the quality seems poor. The two that I have rode in offered lackluster performance and marginal build quality. They looked awesome when they first came out, but now they're a dime a dozen around here.

Ever see that video of a stock Jeep Wrangler and a H2 go up a class 2 trail? The Jeep ran up the trial while the H2 broke a tie-rod. Class 2 trails are easy. The H2 only looks tough. I'd take a Z71 Tahoe or Suburban before a H2

#11 ·
Machine said:
Every H2 owner I know regrets purchasing it. The resale is tanking and the quality seems poor. The two that I have rode in offered lackluster performance and marginal build quality. They looked awesome when they first came out, but now they're a dime a dozen around here.

Ever see that video of a stock Jeep Wrangler and a H2 go up a class 2 trail? The Jeep ran up the trial while the H2 broke a tie-rod. Class 2 trails are easy. The H2 only looks tough. I'd take a Z71 Tahoe or Suburban before a H2

Hey Machine, Do you have the link of the video your talking about?

Escalade all the way !!

#12 ·
I always keep a beater or 1,000 $ truck sitting around to offroad with, thats why I still have my old chevy blazer, and I would never think of offroading in a escalade or hummer. I think its crazy to see these escalades lifted and hummers going offroading, why not just get a tahoe or a cheaper truck?? I do like the hummer, but I like the escalade. Where i live, there isnt many luxury cars or trucks around, so when you see a hummer or escalade around it catches everyone by surprise.... Just the other day 2 escalades were driving and tons of people were calling into the radio station asking who it was. I dont live in the ghetto, but in the mountains secluted kinda like a cheap vail colorado, so if youve got an escalade or hummer with rims, your gonna get everyone looking!

#14 ·
If you think about its 10-14? usual miles its not that different then the escalade, and its smaller then the Excursion, so it would be more easy to park. i have nothing against the cadillac, and will always like the cadillac, but I also like the Hummer too.

#16 ·
I love the look of the H2. I have never driven one but I think they look really cool and unique compared to the escalade. I didn't consider buying one because of the terrible mileage, the fact that they are wide and would be hard to get around in traffic, parking, etc.... and also they are much taller than the escalade and wouldn't fit in many undergrounds or in my garage.

If I had a ton of money I would buy an H2 just because it would be a cool toy.. but for practicality the escalade is the way to go. And the escalade is way faster!!

#18 ·
Redgiem said:
Hey Machine, Do you have the link of the video your talking about?

Escalade all the way !!

http://www.4x4movies.com/download/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=74

I found the last part of the video that does not show the Jeep make the run. OK, so maybe it's a little more severe than a class 2 trail :suspense: , but still, the H2 owner does at least 2 things wrong:
1) Neglects to deflate his tire pressure to gain better traction
2) Instead of backing up and repositioning his beast, the H2 driver gives it the gas and stresses the components. :bonkers:

This video was shot in Moab and the trail was designed for 4WD vehicles with modifications that surpass stock specs - it ironically proves that because the vehicle has the Hummer name, owners really think it’s a Hummer. In all reality, it's a Tahoe. Do a Google for "H2 tie-rod video" - the results push several videos and pictures of H2's getting stuck, broken and rescued.

#19 ·
Machine said:

I found the last part of the video that does not show the Jeep make the run. OK, so maybe it's a little more severe than a class 2 trail :suspense: , but still, the H2 owner does at least 2 things wrong:
2) Instead of backing up and repositioning his beast, the H2 driver gives it the gas and stresses the components. :bonkers:

This video was shot in Moab and the trail was designed for 4WD vehicles with modifications that surpass stock specs - it ironically proves that because the vehicle has the Hummer name, owners really think it’s a Hummer. In all reality, it's a Tahoe. Do a Google for "H2 tie-rod video" - the results push several videos and pictures of H2's getting stuck, broken and rescued.

Thank you Sir Machine :cheers:

#20 ·
Machine said:

That video says it all, and it wasnt even a hard hit, it looks like it snapped as soon as it got traction..No Good!!! Thanks for the clip... :helpless:

#23 ·
the problem is, it's not built to go off-roading. and that's why it's cheap compared to what it use to be and what the h1 costs. you have to look at what it's built for. a jeep wrangler is built for off-road, but it'll look funny when you pull up to a 5-star restaurant in one. you have to decide what you want to do with it before you buy it.

#24 ·
T_Dogg8 said:
the problem is, it's not built to go off-roading. and that's why it's cheap compared to what it use to be and what the h1 costs. you have to look at what it's built for. a jeep wrangler is built for off-road, but it'll look funny when you pull up to a 5-star restaurant in one. you have to decide what you want to do with it before you buy it.

I agree with most of what you wrote but you must take in to consideration the marketing and sales approach H2 dealers are instilling into their owners. When you visit a Hummer dealer they immediately show you their manmade proving ground that they built behind the facility. They take you up and down some steep hills, through some 1' water, over some obstacles, etc. By the time you're done you have a full-blown erection and are ready for Moab...that’s when the true capabilities of the H2 show. I like the H2; I just think it’s way over hyped by the Mfg.

#26 ·
Kinda funny seeing a bunch of Escalade owners chatting about H2 off road performance :rolleyes: ;)

That tie rod video is almost 2 years old now and I feel I can comment on it since I was there. Actually I was driving, it's my H2. Yes it was driver error, I had only wheeled a couple of times before and I hit the skinny peddle at about the worst possible moment. That will happen off roading, it's part of the deal, I am quite confident I could break any rig :shhh: . All off road vehicle will break from time to time btw.

I almost bought an Escalade and was waiting for the Suburban sized one to come out, then I saw an H2, liked it and bought it. Somewhere I decided since I live in Colorado I should try it out off road and have been off roading regularly since. I run trails because you can get to some places to camp etc. that say an "Escalade" :D can't, also the driving is fun and challenging and something to do on the weekend.

Is an H2 as good as an Escalade? Nope they are two different vehicles.
Would an Escalade have been better for running around town, absolutely, it's a trade off, my last truck was a Suburban and I miss the space and usability.
Does one look better than the other, I like them both, it's subjective and irrelevant.
Is an H2 the best off-road truck out there, nope, however they do better than most stock rigs and I am sure you guys can appreciate the need for leather heated seats and 6 cd changers etc. :coolgleam

So there is my 2 cents.

I just came back from my 3rd Moab trip, here is a link to a video I made. It's 70 megs (not small, but you guys are wealthy and have fast internet connectivity). Check it out, I got a bit better since the unfortunate tie rod incident. Mine is the Pewter rig with the rack and tier on the top (not the one with the chrome wheels).

http://elcova.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=966104458

Laters.

Alec

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.