Cadillac Owners Forum banner
288K views 182 replies 124 participants last post by  Cadillacjask07 
#1 ·
:cowboy: Howdy friends!

Just picked up my new CTS last night. This thing is
fully loaded and beautifiul! The DVD Nav / Computer is,
naturally, the coolest part... And when I discovered it
ALSO plays DVDs, I thought I was in heaven!

You see, the only way I can get my wife to quiet down
for a long road trip is to stick a movie in front of her.
She's like a kid. Anything more than 30 minutes and
she starts bitching.

Anyway, I discovered quickly that you can only play
movies when the transmission is in "PARK". Bummer.

However, I completely understand Cadillac's thinking
on this. It's a no-brainer. ("LOCAL MAN FLIES-OFF
BRIDGE WHILE WATCHING MATRIX DVD - GMC SUED" ...etc)

But for us RESPONSIBLE drivers, there HAS to be a 'trick'
to overriding the system. I'd like to avoid buying a
portable DVD player if possible.

Is there a way to allow your passenger to watch DVDs
while the cars moving?

C'mon you hackers! Whaddya got? :worship:

See less See more
#2 ·
Father Ray said:
:cowboy: Howdy friends!

Just picked up my new CTS last night. This thing is
fully loaded and beautifiul! The DVD Nav / Computer is,
naturally, the coolest part... And when I discovered it
ALSO plays DVDs, I thought I was in heaven!

Is there a way to allow your passenger to watch DVDs
while the cars moving?

C'mon you hackers! Whaddya got? :worship:
Hey, did you ever get a solution to the DVD problem of it not playing while out of "Park"?

Excellent vehicle but this DVD thing is driving me nuts.

Anybody figure out the patch or bypass to make this work?

Andy

#129 ·
New to this site, so here goes, go online to TVand NAV2go they have the adapter we need at least they say they do, don't know how much yet but going to find out . Just found this place my self. I'm like you want to be able to watch DVD while in motion at least my wife or me if shes drivin god forbid. Thanks

#4 ·
BUILDINGCTSAMG said:
nothing u can do eespecially if u dont wanna void the warranty......
Well, I've already taken apart a lot of the panels and electrical connections looking for an obvious fix but nothing so far. Really thought that pulling and grounding the purple wire running from the shifter would have done it, but that wasn't the solution.

I'm open to any ideas and the warranty worry is not a concern.

AD

#5 ·
ADulay said:
Well, I've already taken apart a lot of the panels and electrical connections looking for an obvious fix but nothing so far. Really thought that pulling and grounding the purple wire running from the shifter would have done it, but that wasn't the solution.

AD
I'm about to pick up an '03 Escalade, I'm guessing it will be able to do the same thing (play movies). I'm going to try and find the wiring diagram for the audio system. I know there is a Helms manual for my Acura that found that has all of the info and more, does one exist for the Escalade?

#7 ·
caddypimpin said:
g o on ebay ....they have a hack for the lexus. i am sure its the same idea.....
Ok this is just my 2 cents. Don't own an escalade but here goes

Logically speaking
The dvd only plays in park. So there has to be a sensor that is sending a signal to the system that it says when its in park. If you find that sensor and find a way to make it read that its always in park that would be the way to do. A shop manual SHOULD tell you where that sensor is and how it works. I would go from there good luck guys it would bother me as well.

#9 ·
Maybe you could help us out with the search criteria you used on ebay? I don't know about others, but I've researched this extensively (including searching ebay) and as far as I can tell the only DVD Nav override available is for a Lexus SUV. I know that there is one for BMW as well, but nothing yet on the cadillac.

Thanks!

Stealth_Space said:
yeah it's possible to buy the hack (try Ebay or search) to bypass the security feature (only play DVDs in park)... not a very big deal.

#11 ·
ADulay said:

AD
Does it still play DVDs in park if that wire is completely disconnected?

#13 ·
davesdeville,

Well, what happens when the "four wire" connector is disconnected is that the key won't come out of the ignition and you can't get the car to come out of Park.

I may go back in there and start grounding and checking the other three wires. For the time that I had that night, I was only concerned with the purple one as that was the one I had understood to be the "key" to the functioning of the "Park" module.

When I get back home (I'm in Hong Kong this week) I'll open up the console again and work with the other three to see if it's that simple.

Hmm, now that you got me to thinking, perhaps a switch in that line to turn off that purple/park connection might work. It would have to be "on" to get the vehicle moving (and the key to come out of the slot) but once in motion, it may very well do something else.

I'll get back home on the 25th and try it again.

AD

davesdeville said:
Does it still play DVDs in park if that wire is completely disconnected?

#14 ·
splitz said:
I'm going to try and find the wiring diagram for the audio system. I know there is a Helms manual for my Acura that found that has all of the info and more, does one exist for the Escalade?
Splitz,

Did you ever find a wiring diagram for your 2003 Escalade? Any info that we might use to track down the elusive "Park" DVD movie solution?

I can't find any CTS electrical pages now and the people I've talked to say they may not be available until next year. This doesn't make sense as I would imagine there has to be some wiring and tech manuals somewhere that we can get out hands on to find out what the logic is in the "Park" circuit to drop out the video.

AD

#15 ·
ADulay said:
Splitz,

Did you ever find a wiring diagram for your 2003 Escalade? Any info that we might use to track down the elusive "Park" DVD movie solution?

I can't find any CTS electrical pages now and the people I've talked to say they may not be available until next year. This doesn't make sense as I would imagine there has to be some wiring and tech manuals somewhere that we can get out hands on to find out what the logic is in the "Park" circuit to drop out the video.

AD
ADulay,

No I have not been looking because the Escalade Nav does not play movies at all, I just get something like "DVD Map Error." So I figure it doesnt work, and I stop bothering looking for it.

Splitz

#16 ·
ADulay said:
davesdeville,

I may go back in there and start grounding and checking the other three wires. For the time that I had that night, I was only concerned with the purple one as that was the one I had understood to be the "key" to the functioning of the "Park" module.

AD
Here's my 2 cents, being a pro audio installer for almost 18 years now...

first, be carefull with arbitrarilly grounding unknown wires! why? Because many circuits in the car are very sensitive and doing this, even once and very quickly, can damage the electronics in the vehicle or at least trigger error codes. Many old techiniques (test lights, dc battery speaker pulsing, etc) are all strictly taboo on todays newer hi-tech cars.

This vehicle, as well as many other makes/models make use of data bus architecture to control many of the components in the car. The components have data addresses and the control modules (ECM, BCM, GEM, etc) send and recieve data from these addressed components. (you can think of the data bus in terms of your home pc's USB devices all connected together, doing their own tasks, but working on one bus).

I feel that your problem will not be some simple fix like grounding out one wire; that works on most aftermarket video systems. There is no single wire directly connected from the DVD to a sensor or micro-switch on the shifter gate. I am guessing that the sensor in the transmission sends its data to the computers, which use that data in controlling fuel system functions, ignition system, speedometer display, etc.. and yes even DVD display on the radio! Disruption of this data going into the computer would probably affect many systems and not just the DVD...

NOW, that said... there STILL may be a way theroretically to do it...
It would probably require a digital data spoofing device that will plug inline between the radio or dvd unit and the vehicle's harness. It will have to do two things:
- "LIE" to the onboard computer to give a "status normal" reading back so the computer does not register an error code.
- "LIE" to the DVD player, never passing a video shutoff code from the computer.
There are companies that make digital interface devices that allow us to replace OEM radios with aftermarket units in data bus vehicles. It is doubtful, howerver, that any of them would market a product to allow motion video while driving as it is very dangerous and illegal in all 50 states. Plus, think of the legal liabilities that would accompany it (my son was killed in a collision caused by a driver watching a DVD using your bypass unit!)... so don't hold your breath waiting for such a device.

I install aftermarket a/v products for a living and have customers who want video interlocks to be bypassed on units within the drivers view, but we sternly refuse to do it for the exact same liability reason. Many argue that they only want it for the passenger to watch and that they will not watch it. My arguement is that i bet they cannot walk by a television in their own home without looking at it, let alone sit 12 inches away from one and not be distracted! They also argue that if we were to do it for them, they would accept all responsibility and claim that they did it themselves! yeah... right up until that liability lawsuit is filed against them!

If you want video for your spouse to watch while driving, install a slim TFT video monitor in the passenger sunvisor and or use a portable dvd player It would probably only cost you a few hundred dollars either way and will be better in the long run.

that's my take on it... thx BigJohnnyC

#17 ·
BigJohnnyC said:
Here's my 2 cents, being a pro audio installer for almost 18 years now...
(rest of message edited out for brevity)

that's my take on it... thx BigJohnnyC
BigJohnnyC,

Thanks for your expert opinion on what we may be facing with this DVD play in Park thing. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but I guess I was just hoping it would be something simple, like a ground or trace that could be worked out.

Anyway, here's hoping something turns up eventually and we can play the DVD from time to time instead of dorking around with the map, phone, addresses, views, disks, audio, users, scans, seeks and various adjustments on the screen that we can do now.

Just seems kind of odd that all of that other stuff can be screwed around with and not just play the DVD.

AD :banghead:

#18 ·
ADulay said:
BigJohnnyC,

Anyway, here's hoping something turns up eventually and we can play the DVD from time to time instead of dorking around with the map, phone, addresses, views, disks, audio, users, scans, seeks and various adjustments on the screen that we can do now.

Just seems kind of odd that all of that other stuff can be screwed around with and not just play the DVD.

AD :banghead:
Hey, you're welcome!

Yeah, its kinda odd.. the law is that no FULL MOTION VIDEO is allowed in front of the driver's head when driving. The only exception to this is a video camera aimed out the back of the vehicle that is used as an electronic rear view mirror. Most aftermarket systems will only display that video signal only when the car is in reverse, triggered by the back-up light circuit.
I also feel that video based navigation systems can also be very distracting. I have roadtested several sytems after installing them and I caught myself watching the screen and ignoring the traffic! Realistically, one should stop the vehcile on the side of the road somewhere before keying anything info into a navigation system. As nav units become more commonplace in newer cars, there probably will be legislation passed concerning their operation, much like the recent laws banning the use of cellphones while driving.

#19 ·
Hello,

Send me a ticket to SW Florida (or pay expenses) and I will guarantee that I will figure your DVD problem out. :coolgleam I've done a tremendous amount of customization to automotive electrical systems and have almost 20 years experience doing remote start systems, anti theft systems, stereo systems with motorized parts, modifying factory systems to perform with aftermarket systems, digital dashwork and many other customized electrical fabrications. If the system works in park, it can work anytime - it is just a matter of locating and reconfiguring circuits. I am sure a hack will be available sometime in the future, if there isn't one out already, but if you cannot wait and just have to have it done, one option would be to contract someone of considerable experience like me to do it for you. Take care.

#21 ·
zx6racer said:
The kit to watch TV in you Cadillac is about $600 email me and I will tell you where to get it !!!
zx5racer,
OK, just tried to email you but it says you don't have that feature turned on here.

I'm still trying to get this to work so I'll kind of "email you in the blind" so to speak here on the message board for your solution to this nagging problem with our DVD players in the vehicle.

Andy (live from Hong Kong tonight)

#25 ·
Well, as many have found out, this unit cannot play dvd movies. Now, there is a way to watch movies on this unit, but it's an expensive price to pay to get it to do it. This unit does not have an video input. There are two places I know of that will modify the unit and add a video input. http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm or http://www.nav-tv.com/. You send them your radio, they open it up and install the video in connector. Once this has been done, say goodbye to your warranty. Their unit takes the input from your DVD player, rear camera, TV tuner, etc and displays it on the screen of the navigation unit.

Costs? Over $1000. Outrageous! :canttalk:

Here is a pic though:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.