Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  eldawg4100 
#1 ·
I have 4 12" subs that are going into my caddy but was wondering what benetfit a bandpass box has over a regular style box or vise versa?

#2 ·
Well a bandpass box is just that. It uses the port tuned to a specific frequency to enhance the bass boost at that level. It acts as it's own sort of crossover. Preventing highher frequencies from being reproduced by the sub. Not really... but you don't hear them. A sealed box will generally give a better kick because of the resistance built into the box offering the surround a little more protection from being overdriven. Whereas a ported box has less resistance in the enclosure and allows the excursion to be maxed out however the port is tuned to a specific frequency giving a boost at that level. The main diff tween a bandpass box and a regular ported enclosure is that in a bandpass the subs are enclosed entirely inside the box and a ported box has the cones facing the elements. The subs inside the bandpass give the best of both worlds. The inside chanber usually where the subs are facing is air tight. Thus creating thaty resistance the subs require w/o over exerting them when supplied high power at loud volumes. The back sides of the subs are ported and tuned to a specific frequency and the air coming out of that chamber resonates at the tuned frequency. thus giving a greater db level at that frequency.

Hope this helps You can email me for further clarification.

ps. I dont spell check.

seduxion@seduxion.com

- Scott Weston -

97 STS

#3 ·
wow lots of great info there thanks.

#4 ·
bandpasses are known for sounding awful. you get lots of loud bass, but its all muddled together like one note LOL...

saying a ported speaker "lets the speaker be maxed out" is a bit wrong. just play a ported sub and cover the port up. when its sealed, the sub moves a LOT more....

the only instance where a ported sub will move more is... near the tuning freq. or below, where the sub unloads and basically plays as if it was in free air.

ported boxes are much louder, but harder to "get it right" in terms of SQ. getting a flat alignment is harder...

"Thus creating thaty resistance the subs require w/o over exerting them when supplied high power at loud volumes"

possibly true, but the pressure on the subs is enormous. with to much power, cones always get blown off subs in bandpass boxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.