Cadillac Owners Forum banner

429 Water Pump?

24K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  nateboussad 
#1 ·
Okay, so my 429 has a pretty significant coolant leak. It appears to be coming from around the water pump, so I'm going to be replacing some parts. Namely the water pump, hoses, and thermostat.

My question is, there appear to be two options for water pumps on this engine. A 1 Inlet and 2 Inlet design. Is the difference as obvious as it sounds? My water pump only has a single hose coming into it from the radiator, so I'm guessing I have a 1 Inlet design?

Also, replacing the water pump will only replace the inlet, and impeller right? There is a whole routing system which appears to be maybe part of the timing cover, that runs coolant up to the upper hose/thermostat and into the cylinder heads. I presume this is another assembly, and not part of the water pump?

Anyone know what that assembly is called? I have a factory service manual headed to me in the mail, but don't have it yet so I'm flying a bit blind here.

I want to try to replace all the parts which might be causing the leak, and I strongly suspect the aformentioned assembly might be to blame.

Thanks 429 gurus! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a crossover tube that goes from head to the next. It is only connected to the water pump by an o-ring type seal that presses into the top of the water pump. This tube also houses your thermostat. I have a 67 Fleetwood with climate control and it has the 2 inlet water pump, although the 2nd inlet is just plugged off with a short hose and a plug. If yours has a hose at the 10 oclock position on the pump, looking at it face to face, then its a 2 inlet. If its plugged, or simply absent, then buy a 1 inlet. I bet your leak is either the "o-ring" between the water pump and crossover tube. Or the pump is bad and weeping. Any more questions, let me know. I just finished tearing down my 429 and put in new valve guides. So Ive had this baby apart and know how it goes.

#5 ·
Wondering if you could provide some info on that O ring between the pump and crossover. I have replaced that O ring in my '67 Deville and it leaked like crazy. I tried to seal it up with some form-a-gasket but it eventually starts leaking again. :banghead: The O ring I bought works for sh*t and is there a different style of O ring, ie: thicker, that could seal better? When I fit the crossover into the top of the pump, there seems to be a lot of play/wiggle room. Seems it should be a tighter fit. Just a bad design all around.

#4 ·
David,

I could only find mine on eBay, I couldn't seem to find any other source. Local parts stores which showed them in their parts catalog weren't actually able to order it. They did offer to send my original in for rebuild, but it was cheaper and quicker to just buy the new cast iron one online.

I know my reply comes many months late, I hope you were able to find a solution!

#9 ·
I am having the same O-ring leak problem. I had my original water pump rebuilt and am using the same parts again so I know they are correct. They were not sealed so an original replacement O-ring should work. The replacement O-ring sent by Cardone is leaking badly. I am taking it apart again and replacing it with an O-ring made by Felpro. Does anybody know what is happening here? If the Felpro does not work, where do we get the correct size O-ring? Does anyone have a "trick" to seal this O-ring?

#10 ·
I had the same issue. It csme down to the water pump inlet being etched (pitted). Even if you have a remanufactured water pump it will likely be etched and just repainted. I put two o rings on a hunch and it worked perfect. Also use some white litho grease to ensure it sits all the way the down

#11 ·
Well... I think my water pump just crapped out on me... picking a friend up at the airport. So today has been fun. The fan now looks like it is off center and wobbles while the engine is running. It also sounds like it's full of old clock parts and leaks coolant everywhere. 1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville Convertable, 429. I was thinking about buying one of these from Rock Auto unless you guys had a better suggestion: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1320297&parttype=2208&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=bu8dg0cosums6otsvur9ep8ha4

#12 ·
Have you tried Kanter Auto Products? On page 65 of their current catalogue, they have a photo of what looks to be a ONE-PIECE water pump and water crossover manifold. I'm not saying that this is for a Cadillac, but it sure looks like it. Give them a ring on 973-334-9575 or try www.kanter.com.

Good luck.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.