Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone have any idea how to stop the paint chips

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
Is anyone else having issues with paint chip on the rear doors? I waited a bit to long to get the clear bra on the front becuase I was trying to find someone to do the entire hood and of course now have chips everywhere on the hood. 3k miles and I now hate Black paint. Anyone still deciding on a color - be very weary of Black.:rant2:

#2 ·
Where on the rear doors are you having issues with paint chips? That will be very helpful as if it's a common problem, the problem areas can be covered with Xpel or 3M clear bra material, I would think.

Just asking...I'm planning to do a clear bra in the near future from my favored mobile installer.

#8 ·
I'm in the south, we don't have the salt/sand that you've likely been driving through, but I used to live in the northeast and remember how winter was very tough on car paint.

I've gotten a few chips on my black V, and aside from the clear protection options, I've had very good results as follows:

1. Use GM (or Duplicolor) black touch up paint, carefully fill in each scratch as needed until it is level or a bit higher than level with the surrounding surface. Let the paint dry for 30 - 60 minutes (70 degrees).

2. Be sure the surface is absolutely clean and dirt free.

3. In the shade only! Use Meguiars #9 polish and a soft polishing cloth, rub gently back and forth over the touch up spot(s) at varying angles. They will shortly become almost invisible and blend in with the surrounding paint.
Add touch up and repeat if you polish too much out of a scratch.

4. Wax the entire panel you worked on with good quality wax.

You will be amazed at how easy the black is to match and work with, aside from the need to wash it frequently, it is pretty touch up friendly vs. colors where touch up match gets more tricky.

The above being said, the "soft" paint formula that GM still uses is probably my biggest irritant with this car to date. The paint on my Benz is lite years better as far as chip and scratch resistance goes, they use a "Nano" technology that they claim hardens the paint 250%. It works, and GM should use something comparable on a car at this price point if anyone is listening.

#11 ·
Chris,

I posted this awhile ago too. My car did not see the winter action yours did and I still can see where the rear door are going to get beaten up.

I plan on clear bra-ing the hood, front clip and rockers and lower doors. I just have to get it done.

#17 ·
The only manuf that lists a fairly complete "kit" for our cars is Xpel. Just the pre-cut pieces is over $1k... uninstalled.
The other two major players don't list a pre-cut kit. Yes, I know the pro shops can take a blank sheet and custom fit. I've also read on other forums of nightmares where the finished product looks like Freddy Kruger and Edward Scissorhands did the install... after a few beers.

Jeff-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.