Cadillac Owners Forum banner
28K views 101 replies 34 participants last post by  wesyder 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Escalade with factory navigation. Is there a way to modify the system to be able to use the nav while driving? Have to stop to change address now and it's a pain!!

#2 ·
Yes, Its simple
You have to cut a small wire (green/white) connected to the back of the radio
This is the "Vehicle in Motion" signal to the radio.
You remove the radio, clip the wire from the plug, and put the radio back in.
That's all.
It took a total of 10 minutes for me to do from start to finish.

#14 ·
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...61812-how-navtv-nav-tool-video-interface.html

I just set up the nav tv like in the link posted and am using the video from my rse. It was actually quite easy to set up. All you need to do is tap into the dark blue wire coming out of the dvd player. Attach that to the positive wire in an rca cable, and connect the negative to the dvd player chasis. then just run it up to the nav tool.

#15 ·
That info regarding the RSE is very helpful. I was curious about audio controls and functionality. So when the movie starts it just show up on the screen? What about those "mute" functions which are displayed. And what happens when you change the source. Does the video automatically disappear??
I can totally pull this off. GREAT INFO.

#16 ·
I just tried to do mine. I'm not sure what went wrong. Either I clipped the wrong wire or this doesn't work for my NAV setup. I've got a 06 ESV Platinum. I wouldn't think that the NAV is a different unit. But I can now enter an address at any speed. Here's the problem now. The NAV doesn't move at all now. The arrow shows me still where I had snipped the wire not where I was driving at the time. The screen is also black now like it is at night. I turned the lights on and it stayed black. Turned them back to auto, screen went back to the daytime color and then switched back to black or night time colors.

Anyone have a clue what's wrong?

If not then I guess I've got to reconnect that wire

Thanks

Mike

#22 ·
I've got that plugged in and still nothing. I've also reconnected that single wire I clipped. It's still not working properly. Right now it's says the truck is at the Reniaissance Center in Detroit. It's really in my driveway just a few miles down the street in Omaha Nebraska

#25 ·
Well I got it all back working. But it back to normal. My setup would not work without that wire connected. The Nav wouldn't move or update at all. So I hooked that cut wire back up and made it all normal again. I'm bummed to say the least. This is a Delphi unit. Not sure if that's the difference or because it's a 06. Nevertheless it doesn't work.

I thought about adding a switch to turn off that wire when I wanted to input an address while driving but didn't want to have the switch in plain view and wasn't sure where to really put it otherwise and make it accessible

#28 ·
What did you do to get it working again?
Did driving the truck around for 5-10 minutes make it start updating again?

That wire IS for the vehicle at speed. That was proven by the fact that you could enter addresses while moving.
The NAV not updating is a different problem I think.

#27 ·
OXB-The instructions that came with the Nav-tool says to connect the green wire to the vehicles parkiing brake switch. At the parking brake switch which wire do I connect the green wire to?? Thanks
Just connect that wire to ground unless you only want to be able to view the video input while the parking brake is on. Sorry, if that is what you want i am no help as to what wire to connect it to. but there should just be two wires on that switch. one that is already grounded and one that is not. you would want to connect it to the one that isn't grounded.

#32 ·
Thank you sooo much for this awesome tip!!! My husband cut my wire on yesterday. I can't tell you how many times in the last 5 years that I have had to pull over so that I or my passenger could set the address for navigation. This feature is wonderful to have but we have to treat it just like texting, don't do it while driving, allow the passenger to.
Thanks again,
J.

#35 ·
This is indeed a great hack.
I am very glad it worked for you.
Did your NAV screen stop updating for a while like some others after you cut the green/white wire?
I remember mine did this too but it started updating 5 minutes after I started driving.

Yes, driving it a bit finally got it registered again and working normally. I then went back home and snipped the wire and tried it again. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and also stopped a few times to see if it would catch up to itself. Nope. Never did. I reattached the wire and drove up the street and again it was working properly again.

It's just my luck
Mike, maybe try to cut the wire again, but this time drive the truck longer.
Leave the wire cut for a day or 2 if u can live w/o the nav working that long.
If it does not start working after that long, then you are out of luck.

I would give it one more try.

Once it starts updating again after the wire is cut, it never stops again.

#39 ·
Press the emergency Brake
Put the truck in the lowest gear
Tilt the steering wheel all the way down
Gently pull off the dash bezel by hand starting in the upper left corner and work your way to the radio
Work the bezel off around the wheel and set it aside.
Now, only 3 screws hold in the radio.
Unscrew them and the radio slides right out.
10 minute job.
No tools are required to remove the bezel.
It just snaps on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.