Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac News: Detroit 2009: Cadillac Converj [w/VIDEO]

16K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  gordon87 
#1 ·
Filed under: Concept Cars, Detroit Auto Show, Coupes, Green, Cadillac

Click image above for live shots of the Cadillac Converj from Detroit

Cadillac just took the wraps off a new concept based on the Chevy Volt's "Voltec" drivetrain (that's a new moniker, by the way). The angular coupe is called the Converj and it is drop-dead gorgeous. With styling that is instantly recognizable as Cadillac, Bob Lutz told us at the press conference that the car was designed to be aesthetically pleasing on its own. It's just a great shape that holds great promise. Lutz and Co. referred to the Converj as the "CADILLAC OF ELECTRIC VEHICLES" and even if that sounds trite, it could well bring Cadillac back to the top of the luxury car heap, with a solid foundation of SRX and CTS below it.

Like the Chevrolet Volt, GM says the Converj will be able to travel up to 40 miles on electricity alone, and it will have a small helper motor to help drivers avoid "range anxiety." That's the term for the fear of running out of charge when you're still miles away from your final destination. As Lutz pointed out, you can't run down to the gas station for a 5-gallon can of electricity. There's a lengthy press release after the jump with plenty of stats. All we can say is that we'd love to hear that that the Converj is going into production tomorrow, but the reality of GM's current financial situation probably means they won't be able to make any firm commitments for awhile. Hit the jump to view video of the live unveiling.

Photos copyright (C)2009 Drew Phillips, Frank Filipponio / Weblogs, Inc.
Gallery: Detroit 2009: Cadillac Converj

Continue reading Detroit 2009: Cadillac Converj [w/VIDEO]

Detroit 2009: Cadillac Converj [w/VIDEO] originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:36:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Re: Cadillac Converj Concept

Cadillac designers have done a great job incorporating the "Arts & Science" theme into a small car--something not easily done. The interior is superb! It's the first hybrid to really interest me, although the Tesla roadster (based on the Lotus, see http://www.teslamotors.com/ ) came close! The Converj incorporates styling features from the gorgeous Cien Concept. :highfive:

#9 ·
Re: Cadillac Converj Concept

Here's my question: Since the exterior dimensions are similar to the BMW 3-Series, and since Cadillac has been stating they want a 3-Series competitor (in size, the CTS is more similar to a 5-Series), couldn't GM crank out a sedan version and pop a four cylinder (or V6) under the hood and have an instant 3-Series fighter?

#14 ·
#15 ·
Re: Photo-Chop of the new coupe (better than the CTC)

It looks like a Pontiac G6 coupe with a Cadillac grille and some very different headlights...
The spokes of the wheels are angled... I hate that look... they will be on different angles on opposite sides of the vehicle, they always look as if they just don't match. Just my 2 cents...

#16 ·

i love the futuristic look...mind you, without looking directly at the grill, i could've sworn that was the mercury cougar when it became a mini-car....the way the passenger window kinda melds into the back seat window...the angularity of it all....meh.

#18 ·

I saw on the internet that GM unveiled three new cars at the Detriot Auto Show. They are the SRX, the CTS station wagon and the Converj concept. What happened to the CTS coupe? I see that Cadillac still has the old Cts coupe announcement on their website. Has anyone been to the Detroit Auto Show and seen or at least gotten some word on the coupe?

#21 ·
Re: Cadillac Hybrid Car - the Converj

I wonder if it will come out in a 4 door sedan?? I doubt it! They suck when it comes to options on the HYBRIDS!

But I like the new concept anyways! It looks cool, I bet they will get rid of most of the cool stuff before it makes it into production.

#22 ·

Mercury cougar....really... THAT's what you see when you look at the converj? Pontiac G6 coupe????

Well hold on to you 08's for as long as you can because this is the next step in art 'n' science design. Count on the whole fleet resembeling this car in the next 5 years.

...assuming there still is a Cadillac brand in 5 yrs.:confused:

#26 ·

If that is what my new CTS will look like in 3 years, there is no way I'm going to let them attach the front plate. I'll pay for all the tickets.

:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.