Cadillac Owners Forum banner
45K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  78seville455 
#1 ·
I've been window shopping online and I see some great deals on 87-92 Fleetwood Broughams with the 5.0 L engine. I know I'd rather wait for a great find with a 5.7, but should I totally dismiss the 5.0 totally?

After 5 years of searching, I found a great deal on a 93 Fleetwood in triple black, non vinyl top. It unfortunately came with an L05 instead of the favored LT1, and now I kind-of-sort-of-in-a-way regret not waiting some more to get an LT1 Caddy. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Art:leghump:

#2 ·
How are they bad? From 86-89, they had the olds 307 which many call bulletproof. Then comes the L05 which I can't find a reason to find to say its bad either.

The only complaint that I can hear is that both engines are "underpowered" for the size of car, but then what can one really except from a land yacht that isn't from the 70's and 60's? They were created at a time where gas prices and environmental reasons made them they way they are. Is your concern one of performance or workmanship?

#6 ·
Yeah I checked that one out. I'm looking for the last year of the box Caddies.

I just want a nice one a can maybe fix up a little, and cruise it. No daily driver, no trailer queen. just wanna hit the bars and the clubs and the movies in it.

I'd probably keep my 93 as the daily driver, as I'm putting all of my money into fixing it up to last me.

I just figured there was a mechanical defect with the 5.0's. That's what I though the reason was for all these cars not selling as fast as 5.7's.

#5 ·
1993 should have a 350 TBI, no LT1 option.

Yes, 2 different 5.0's '86-'90 is Olds 307, '91/'92 is Chevy 305.

Both are very reliable engines, and the biggest complaint is underpowered.... however they do pull the car around perfectly fine, around town there is plenty of power.... just highway passing power, towing/hauling, or trying to accelerate hard going over a ountain etc.... will show you the limits to the engine.

#11 ·
5.0 is great for daily driving. I have been driving my 5.0 liter TBI wagon for 2 months and now my 5.0 liter TBI Brougham for 4 days... perfect.

#13 ·
No, you shouldn't be that affected from a L05 to a L03. If it was a LT1 to L03 or L05 to 307.. then that would be a big difference!

#16 ·
I don't know what yall mean, calling the L05 underpowered. I test-drove a '92 5.0 and it was mighty powerful, moreso than the 4.9 is in my '91 Coupe Deville. It would throw you back in your seat and it's over a 1000 pounds heavier than the my fwd. Maybe there was more low-end torque, as I felt that in my 307 Bro.

#17 ·
Something must be wrong with your 4.9...... cause a 4.9 FWD DeVille, especially the '91-'93 (lightest years) should be faster then any '90-'93 5.7 Brougham..... much less a 5.0 Brougham, especially when talking right off the line torque and acceleration... 4.9 has a better torque curve, gearing is about equal, but the car weighs a lot less.

#18 ·
You sure you are not experiencing the uber sensitive gas pedal on these older Broughams that give you the false illusion of super speed from 0-20?

#19 ·
Maybe it was just the big car feel; oh, and my 4.9 coupe does have an exhaust leak between the throttle-body and the block. That'll be one of my weekend projects. ;)

And as for an illusion, I'd be happy with that. .....man I miss my Brougham (307) even though it did 0-20 in about 30sec. (and yes I did mean 20...lol) The next will be chevy-powered

#21 ·
I have the 307 Olds...and it's pretty different than either the TBI 305 or the TBI 5.7. Not that anyone else will notice, but you have to keep your foot pressed in the carpet to get it to go with any urgency - but it does go if you push it.

It is smooth and quiet and reliable though.

#23 ·
I've had plenty of LO5 350's and LO3 305's. It's funny because every one feels differant. My current 91 LO5 FWB feels like a rocket, yet my 93 Caprice 9C1 felt lethargic over 65mph. 2 days ago I picked up a 91 LO3 for a friend and it felt strong between 80-100 mph. Even my friend who was following me commented that he had to stomp the pedal on his 05 TL to stay with me. As far as the 350 Broughams ability to keep up with a 91 4.9 Deville...The jurys still out. I had a 91 and it was strong off the line...I think from 30 ^ the Brougham would hang.

#25 ·
My LT1 just crossed 242K, shooting for the magical quarter million mark coming up in about 2 months.

The L03's and L05's are decent for reliability, not real power houses, mainly because of the small cams and high swirl heads that were very restrictive to air flow. Do some port work or axle the heads for some Fast Burns or Vortecs and you have an engine that will REALLY wake up. Look at the Gen III V8's (LS1 style V8), they make silly amounts of power with a very small cam. 350 hp net with a cam in the 200 degree range with 0.500 lift. The LT1 was 300 hp with 204 degrees duration and 0.450 lift. The LT4 only made 345 hp with 206-210 duration and 0.500ish lift... The LS1 beat that... Not bad, not bad at all....

The L05 with a Vortec head and 92-97 Z28/Vette/TA LT1 cam should easily be able to make 300 net hp... EASY. As long as you have good dual exhaust and good intake like the Edelbrock performer and a well tuned EFI or well tune carbie.

Expect 250hp with a L03 with the same combo...

#26 ·
Nothing wrong with the 307 or the 305. If I found a clean Brougham, that certainly would NOT stand in the way... In fact my own '91 has the 5.0 and I'm just fine with it. Broughams were luxury liners. More power is great, but it wouldn't be the deal breaker for me! Have had plenty of 307 Broughams over the years, and they are TANKS! They use almost no oil and they are incredibly reliable.

#27 ·
I just bought a 87 Brougham with the 307 and was really unimpressed with the power but it was something I could live with. I finally got around to putting plugs in it yesterday and what a difference that made. The old girl now has a little pep in her step, as many have said this is a reliable engine with a proven track record.

#28 ·
Look at it this way, a 305 or 307, is still an upgrade path to a visually identical 350, 383, 400 or 403 (depending on brand) or even 425 or 455 with minor visual discrepancies (for 307 cars).

For me, one of these days if I get one, I will probably go with a 455 or 482 Olds and keep it looking stock yet, be a torque monster....

#29 ·
482 Olds?

#30 ·
Non stock, 455 block with stroker crank and bored block.... Was at the track last night and watched a few run (they guys I was there with) and they were running mid- to low 10's working on dialing them in. Nothing like seeing a G-Body wagon screaming straight as an arrow at those speeds.... Or a 71 442/W30, and a 71 with 72 grills/taillights.... All were cooking...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.