Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac nixing the barges, introducing new BRX CUV and RWD sedans

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Lord Cadillac 
#1 ·
For eons, the image of a Cadillac ingrained into our minds was that of an extra large cruiser wafting down the highway consuming asphalt and small rodents without complaint. That perspective is set to change, as Cadillac plans to drop the slow-selling STS and DTS models, and instead focus its efforts on creating another CUV, a new mid-sized sedan and an entry-level RWD offering.

The plans to redesign the SRX crossover have been nixed due to poor sales, and in its place a new V6-powered, five-passenger CUV, likely to be dubbed the BRX, will go on sale in 2009. More importantly, Cadillac plans to focus its sporting credentials by expanding the CTS lineup to include both a wagon and a coupe, all in an effort to sway consumers interested in the segment-leading BMW 3-series.

Going after the Bavarian boys won't be easy, so in addition to the expansion of the CTS line, Cadillac's replacement for the STS and DTS will take aim at the BMW 5-series, with a high-performance RWD sedan. That, coupled with a proposed entry-level sedan will round out the new Cadillac lineup.
So Cadillac is dropping both their full-size vehicles?! Are they F'ing nuts?! They're brining in ANOTHER mid-size sedan?! WHY?! They already have one. The CTS! The SRX will be replaced by a new CUV (crossover utility vehicle) and, as we all expected, a new entry-level RWD Caddy. And the CTS is will come in Coupe and Wagon form.

So this NEW mid-size vehicle will chase after the BMW 5-Series. So does that mean the CTS is still chasing after the BMW 3-Series? Why?

No more big Cadillacs.. WHY?!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/30/cadillac-nixing-the-barges-introducing-new-brx-cuv-and-rwd-seda/

#2 ·
"No more Big Cadillacs Why?" Because the people in the Tower are running around confused! Nothing is worse than a person that doesn't learn anything from their mistakes. Take what's selling (the DTS) kill it and replace it with a carbon copy of someone else's car BMW.

BMW has a cult like following, not necessarily drivers, I blow them away everyday on the 710 Fwy (the worst hell-hole Fwy in SoCal). Nothing like beating hot no driving chicks with long fingernails and high heels, and geek guys that get frightened when speeds go over 70, especially when the Police are watching them! My stealth daily Cadillac STS is happiest at around 85 done daily:want:I especially like to take on old guys, driving S Class MB's they are real wimps, who pay to play (you get the drift).:bighead:

So many of the members of these forums talk bad about older Cadillac guys, but you'd be best to stay out of their way, they'll Run Over You! I am out!

#3 ·
F-ing morons. I think it's time we clean house over at GM corporate.

#5 ·
Link (requires membership): http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070730/SUB/70727090/1128

DETROIT -- Cadillac is getting ready to kill its luxo-barge image once and for all.

General Motors has delayed plans to re-engineer the SRX, a mid-sized crossover that competes with the Lexus RX and BMW X5.

In 2009, the automaker likely will replace it with the BRX, a smaller five-passenger crossover.

Cadillac will take additional steps to enhance its image as a producer of sporty luxury cars:

The CTS sedan will expand into a family with the addition of a wagon and coupe. These vehicles will compete with BMW's popular 3 series, the benchmark for sporty luxury cars.

The slow-selling STS sedan will be killed, as will the venerable DTS sedan, once known as the Deville. Cadillac will replace them with a high-performance rear-wheel-drive sedan aimed at the segment dominated by the BMW 5 series.

A new small entry-level sedan will expand the brand's range.
Another source... So now Cadillac builds small cars. First it was the hard, cold interiors as opposed to the luxurious, soft, plush interior. Than it was the harsh rides replacing the soft, comfortable rides. Now it's the size of Cadillacs being taken to a completely uncharacteristically small size.

WTF?! Why doesn't GM just change the name of the company to something different? IT'S NOT CADILLAC ANYMORE!

So the CTS is the 3-series competitor. This new car to replace the DTS and STS is the 5-series competitor. What's this new smaller car competing against? The 1-series? I suppose so... And again, no full-size car. How stupid.

#8 ·
Re: Cadillac Product Preview -- "Luxobarges" out, RWD in...

It's almost like Cadillac is saying "Hey, it's been a good time, but it's time we cut ya loose" to all us land yacht lovers.

I hate when this happens.

#9 ·

Pretty much all thats left is to hold out hope for the Ultra Lux 2011 Sedan, but (with reason) it looks like that is pretty much at the bottom of the priorities list now.

GM is turning a profit again... hopefully they wont ride a short term success and lose focus of their product future.

#10 ·

There are not enough people out there that want luxobarges to be worth it for Cadillac to keep building them. I think they are going the right directions. Im happy to see Cadillac being comapred to the Euro cars. I think they have a great formula right now.

#11 ·

Oh don't get me wrong, Cadillac is going in a great direction...products are way better than they were even 5 years ago, and miles ahead of the stuff from 10 years ago, and they've finally gotten the recognition they've desired all along. They'll appeal to a much wider audience with the current and future line up, but they shouldn't kick us to the curb just to find more buyers. Atleast leave one vehicle with the luxobarge idea...6 seats, RWD, big V8, huge size, etc.

#12 ·

At least leave one vehicle with the luxobarge idea...6 seats, RWD, big V8, huge size, etc.
I agree. They dont have to crank them out like CTS', but they should have at least one big car for the "old school" Cadillac purists. There are enough people out there that want something big and luxurious, like an S Class or 7 Series, but dont like Krautmobiles. The Town Car just doesnt cut it anymore, and its VERY bland in my opnion, Lincoln does a very poor job of diguising a Crown Victoria.

Cadillac needs to step up here. They are more than capable,especially now, and should start testing the waters with a limited production vehicle. They are turning good profits, they can afford to.

#13 ·
FleeTwood Brougham

#16 ·
True, but atleast an 06+ DTS was sorta up the same alley.

#17 ·
The fact that the old, boring Town Car is still selling - and how the Chrysler 300 took off - should be prime examples of how many people are out there to buy these types of vehicles. Not forgetting the Jaguar XJR, Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7-Series. Audi A8, Infiniti Q45 (which will be back) and Lexus LS either. Maybe they're thinking like Acura with their little baby RL.

#18 ·
Wow, it's amazing how much things change, but yet stay the same. Most of us aren't old enough to remember (at least I'm not) the 'great downsizing' of 1977 when Cadillac's fullsizers lost 12 inches and several hundred pounds. I imagine people were screaming bloody murder. But try to imagine if 234 inch sedans were still being sold. Who would buy one? Who could afford the fuel in one? But also remember that the downsizing didn't diminish the interior room in a Caddy, simply because they got smarter in their design efficiency. Of course, for people that truly want a monstrously huge vehicle, the Escalade seems to get larger and more extravagant every redesign. And Town Car sales are primarily low profit fleet sales, which is why it gets little attention from Ford. The 300 took off because it's an efficient package (smaller than both DTS and Town Car) with scads of interior room. This trend isn't likely to reverse itself as people WILL buy large cars, but only if they don't have to sacrifice handling and/or fuel efficiency for exterior size (remember that 300's are primarily sold with one of two V6's).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.